main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST TFA's impact on episode 8 being put back to Dec 2017...

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CEB, Jan 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Doesn't seem to be a thread for it yet.
    I've suspected this would happen for a while now and couldn't be happier about it - over here in the UK I think we think of Star Wars as more Christmassy than summery anyway, and it's always felt weird having a May release date - this year felt like Star Wars's natural place.

So, I'm guessing that it's a win win all round - while it gives a bit of breathing space to the production team, it also shows that they must be really please with TFA's performance, and the merchandise must have sold well too. How do Americans (and UK people who may well disagree with my take on it) feel about this decision, and to what extent has TFA's performance influenced it?

DarthRosie, I know and Ricardo Funes like this.
  2. pupuce

pupuce Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 10, 2016
    there is the disney chritmas movie tradition here in France; This year it was star wars. So I understand star wars is the christmas movie that families will go to watch. A great idea I think. A family moment and the perfect timing with the toys we bought for Christmas.

Darth Dookacas and Ricardo Funes like this.
  3. Gordonai

Gordonai Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 26, 2014
    With the huge Xmas box office of TFA I think Disney may well decide SW is for Christmas.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  4. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Son of a...

Maybe a win for Disney, but it feels like a loss for me.

Dak Oolron, PlagueisWise and panki like this.
  5. Darth Dookacas

Darth Dookacas Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2014
    I feel good about it. I enjoyed having Star Wars as a Christmas gift! Disney realizes they don't have to rush to get it out. This shows me they want to put out great quality Star Wars films and the trust the people working on the film. Good signs all the way around. Disney is in position to rule the summer and winter. Great move!

DarthRosie, I know and Ricardo Funes like this.
  6. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I want them to take their time, don't rush anything. Also, it will be better for the Box Office, and to detach it a little from Rogue One.

Darth Dookacas likes this.
  7. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    I haven't seen anything about Episode 8 being released in December.

That said I hope they do it. Spend more time on it. Quality > quantity.

1.5 years is a very fast turnaround for a sequel.

EDIT: OK just saw the news about it being postponed.

8. PPZVGOS

PPZVGOS Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    Avatar 2 is also supposed to come out in December of 2017. I think it will have to be moved, the blue aliens, of course.

While I also feel that the winter/Xmas environment suits Star Wars better, I hate it that our waiting time for Star Wars VIII has been raised from 16 months to 23. That sucks!

Now, what are the possible reasons for this dramatic change of heart ("dramatic" because a Star Wars release date is kind of a big a deal)

In my opinion:

1) They are super happy (obviously) with the BO performance of TFA. They are going for a pattern repeat.

2) They (the producers) have monitored the reaction to TFA, and will probably want to make some changes to the upcoming movie. I expect them to place more emphasis on some characters that people felt there was too little off in TFA, with first and foremost, Poe Dameron. I also expect more BB-8, I also expect them to make Kylo Ren even more of a bad-ass than originally planned. Rey will probably be more fragile in the upcoming film, and will have to suffer some kind of setback. They will also want to make Snoke appear better and cooler.

3) They want to take their time and work on everything with less time-pressure. The shooting, the special effects, some re-writes etc...

4) They feel that Episode 8 coming only a few months after Rogue One will potentially cause some kind of saturation effect. They now seem to want to strictly stick with the "One Star Wars movie per year" strategy, to keep the fans hungry for more.

Dak Oolron and Force22 like this.
  9. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Remember, Cameron already declared Avatar 2 for December so they had the first shot.

10. pupuce

Jan 10, 2016
    I was just wondering about Avatar 2, 10 days later. It could steal some audience from star wars. Didn't like avatar but it was a massive hit and people are waiting for it a lot.

11. PPZVGOS

Dec 27, 2015

What studio has the right to Avatar? I think it's Disney, right?

12. I know

I know Jedi Knight star 3

May 4, 2014
    I think it's 20th Century Fox for Avatar.

As far as a Christmas release for VIII ... Couldn't be happier! Really enjoyed the buildup and hype around Christmas that took place for VII and it was always fun with Lord of the Rings knowing that Christmas meant a new chapter was going to be released.

DarthRosie likes this.
  13. deathfromabove

deathfromabove Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2007
    Nope its Fox.

Sounds like it will be a major showdown.TFA only did so well because it had absolutely no competition ( IMHO ).I think both movies may suffer being released so close to each other.

14. DarthRosie

DarthRosie Jedi Master star 2

Nov 5, 2014
    Love this news on a purely selfish reason. I can't wait to see VIII the same 4 times I saw TFA, the timing in May would not have worked as nicely as already taking time off of work for the holidays.

15. PPZVGOS

Dec 27, 2015
    deathfromabove I know

OK, I am calling it right now.

James Cameron will succumb to the power of The Force, and he will move his smurfs to another slot.

I know likes this.
  16. I know

May 4, 2014
    Fear is the path to the Dark Side Cameron! ;)

17. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Smart move by Disney....let Marvel own the summers and Star Wars the winters. Year-round supremacy, and less competing with themselves for screen and toy-shelf space.

Dak Oolron and DarthRosie like this.
  18. Colm

Colm Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2005
    It will be good for cinema to have Avatar2 & SW8 out at the same time. Not sure if Avatar can repeat it's success, there will no longer be a novelty around it, whereas SW has an established and loyal fanbase.

19. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    They likely want to try and capitalize on the fact that there's usually not much competition around X-Mas (it worked out well for TFA). They have several Disney-related projects coming out in spring/summer 2017 (GOTG 2 comes out around that time I think), so they want to avoid potentially cannibalizing their audience. Yeah it sucks that we have to wait even longer after that cliffhanger, but at least it's not three years like in the old days.

20. I know

May 4, 2014
    And Pirates the spring ... If only the could do a decent one soon.

21. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    These were probably already planned, IMO. Rey is following the hero's journey, so she will almost certainly suffer setbacks in 8. Kylo was set up by Abrams to be an incomplete antagonist, so he will probably become more powerful and less out of control as the series progresses. And now that Han is no longer around to be the charming, joke-cracking pilot, Poe and his astromech will certainly get more screen time alongside Rey and Finn.

AmySolo likes this.
  22. PPZVGOS

Dec 27, 2015

I don't think it will happen (these two movies being released so close to each other) In the remote possibility that it does, I would expect Star Wars to slaughter the smurfs in the US/UK, but I fear for the rest of the world. Asia and LatAm, Avatar will take SW:VIII to the cleaners, that's for sure.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  23. pupuce

Jan 10, 2016

And it will accomplish balance to the force [face_laugh]

PPZVGOS likes this.
  24. PPZVGOS

Dec 27, 2015

I agree. These directions that they will be taking, they were always on the cards. What I meant to say was that they will be even more accentuated. Whatever hesitations or second-thoughts there may have been for any of the points I am making above, they are now completely out of the window.

25. AmySolo

AmySolo Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 12, 2016
    This. In the end it'll be good for us all I think, but that's not stopped me from being upset.

Okay sad.

I'm not an obsessive lunatic. No really. Stop laughing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.