main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson TFF requested at Reid Park Zoo Howl-O-Ween!

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by dialswiftjustice, Oct 8, 2005.

1. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Hey guys, in my Reid Park go cart patrol I doe very week I stopped at the zoo and happened to run intot he administrator who stopped to thank me for watching their cars. We got to talking about the zoo and the howl a ween event. For those that dont know, it goes

October 28 & 29 (fun & scary area) 6-8 p.m., October 30 (fun area only) 5-7 p.m.

where "costumed characters, trick-or-treating and decorations galore. For those who dare, the haunted caves bring a new level of terror to the Zoo...not recommended for those with weak hearts or knees. Frightening and fun areas are separated to provide the entire family with and enjoyable celebration. The scary area will NOT be open on Sunday, October 30. Animals will not be on display during Howl-o-Ween."

I remebered a year ago they had a ton of Star Wars standees and a huge Jaba the Hutt, along with a very poor excuse for a Vader. Turns out it was a zoo employee in a "terrible" costume to use the administrators quote! Well, I dropped the groups name and what we do and she goes "oh yeah I saw you on the news!" She then asked if we could show up. I told her what we were already planning that weekend and I would throw it out tot he group. I personally want to be there, especially in costume (mostly because I know it will get alot of attention for the group).

Anyways, she is researching to see if we can have a red Cross jug out if we did do it. We can disply our banner and hand out candy they provide. I asked her about the lightsticks and she thought that would be a great idea but then asked, do you have about 10,000!? Because that is how many people they had last year.

If we could send some costumes that way, we would get an orientation the week before with where we would be situated and what standups they have. We would need to arrive an hour before the days of the event.

Let me know what you guys think and if you are interested in it. We could get in free of course since we are participating, I forgot to ask about any family members. But they would all have to be in costume, and it would be mostly standing since there was barely elbow room last year with the ton of people that showed up. This would be a great opportuniy to get the word out about the group and increase our memebership, btu I know we all have a full weekend that week!

Let me know if you guys are interested. I need to see what days I can get off that weekend, or if I can work/flex half days, because I really want to do it. She is awaiting our answer so let me know what you guys think!

D

2. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dark_Lady_Jada Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 7, 2004
    Awesome.

Let me talk to the powers that be about my availability. I might be able to convince my daughter to help. She is thinking about costuming Princess Leia. :eek:

3. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    that would be awesome, I am still testing the waters of my availability

4. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Ok, I am going to be there everyday as Vader. Since it is only a 2-3 hour commitment. Since it is not on Halloween if anyone wanted to use the Tie costume its available.

5. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    I am in, just p/m me with the details!!!!!!

Jango HO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. cathiecat

cathiecat Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 24, 2005
    I am commiting to being there on the 28th.. may not have Jake there with me though.. I leave on a plane the next morning.. and we have a birthday party for a two yr old on the evening of the 28th.. but I think I can have Jake go to the bd party. while I do the zoo.

on another subject.. the zoo needs our logo to post.. so we have all of two days to think of a logo.. and then dustin can make it up and get it to the zoo.. think cog emblem..imperial.. rebel... sith... something along that line

7. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    any ideas for our logo!! post them.. if you have already posted them.. repost them just to be sure we see them.. Dustin is going to design something to turn into reid park zoo sometime in the next day or so.. and I want us all to have a say.. I am still thinking we all agreed something with imperial cog or rebel emblem..

8. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Awwwright, just talked to the administrtor of eduction, and heres the latest..

just show up early, doesnt have to be an hour early, but she recommends it for set up last minute changes, and getting dressed. They will have a place for us to dress out.

We can not hand out lightsticks, another group is selling them as a fundraiser.

We can not have a Red Cross donation jug there, interesting becuase she said they dont want groups soliciting donations, but that group above is selling lightsticks.

They are providing us standees, a huge Jaba, Luke, and a few others to go behind us. They are also providing Star Wars trading cards to hand out.

My question is, should we print up some "business cards" so people can join the Fan Force, or a flyer or something? Or should I just put the webpage ont he banner? Since we are not able to get donations at least we can recruit!

9. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    yes.. go with business cards!! put the forum link on it and you can also put my phone number on it if you want to.. use whichever emblem we decide upon.. but put the lightsabers crossed under it if you can!! let me know how much money you need to do this.. I will help out.

10. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    Hey all, I can probably print the business card on card stock using a black and white version of the logo DSJ made.

I know I will be there for at least one of the nights but I am having to see what night my daughter is going to the Harvest Fest at church.

11. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    either way.. let me know how much money.. or if you want to print here that is fine as well.. I just don't know how to do it.. someone will have to come here to do it for me .. it's rather funny... that I am such a illiterate at the computer on so many things.

12. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    Like I have said in the other thread...I have found a Young Boba to be in his Clone training uniform...he would be happy to assist us.

Please post up the "current" specifics about this function, or we can just talk about it tomorrow. I am really getting pumped up for these events. We are really gonna look good!

13. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    OK, specifics....

Just go up to the front entrance, tell them you are with the Star Wars group, and if there is a problem, ask for Vivian or call me 360-3765.

October 28 & 29 be there no later than 5:30. We must be in costume and by our area before 6:00. It lasts 6-8 p.m., but they as if we can remain til at least 8:30 since they have people still walking through.

October 30, be there no later than 4:30. It opens 5-7 p.m. but they ask we stay (again) a half hour later.

They will do the set up of the standees, and have ou area ready to go. We just have to be there, hand out cnady (they provide) and recruit! (hopefully)

14. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    cool, I am in. Wish I had my jetpack though.. :(

15. cathiecat

Mar 24, 2005
    I plan on doing this on the 28th.

16. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    There are some small jet pack parts up on Ebay right now

17. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    There are some small jet pack parts up on Ebay right now

Is there any ways we can get a few of us together and all help you make it? After all you hook up up wityh leather etc, just tell us what materials what to do etc.

18. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    I dont believe there is any time to make the jet pak. All I would need to make it is a sheet of syntra about the size I gave you Dial, and some patience and maybe about 4 hours+. I have really good pics of it too....but alas I dont feel we have the time.

19. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Dude! sure you dont want it back?!

20. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    NO, its yours, and besides I can get more! The jetpack is more complex than I thought..I would need someone to vacuform the base at the very least...then It would take me about a day to put it together...I will wait and after Hallloween I will put it together.

21. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Oh, well thanks Frankie, for the sheet, my machined metal disks came in today so I now have the belt done. I am going to make a holster for the Grievous blaster. Oh, and the Tie Costue is available for anyone who doesnt have a costume and wants to use it, my friend from my squad promised his daughter he would be a pirate, so he is only going to use the Tie for the clinic

22. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Ok MORE SPECIFICS! I was on Redi Park patrol in my mighty golf cart and caught them setting up after hours, and Vivian, the main chick, was there, they already had the Star Wars section set up. I was pretty impressed.

We are back by the POlar Bear exhibit, if youve been there you know where it is. We get the largest area of anuone else there. Th standees are pretty impressive, they are all photographs except for the HUGE hand painted Jabba which looke better than I expected! Anways heres a rundown of the character they have displayed....
    Yoda, a Stortrooper, Han Solo in Carbonite next to Jabba (bounty hunter photo ops!), Watto, Boss Nass, Jar Jar[face_beatup], Boba Fett, Amidala (Ep I), Qui Gon, R2, Darth Maul, Chewy, and the Emporer!

Vivian said this is going to be one of the biggest draws, and she asked we remain close to the standees so the walkway does not get congested, which she predicts!

Parking: We park in the back, off of Randolph from 22nd St. it's the first left. Ill post a map tomorrow. and have a trailer where our clothes will be locked up. She said we can leave our costumes there if we like, but I am definetly not.

We can have our own music, she recommends it. Damien you mind burning a "best of" I can give you a blank disk if you need, that way if someone swipes it its no big loss. Ill bring my radio again unless somene has something bigger, but againt here are going to be a ton of people and distractions, but we can put it in the bushes.

Now I know how big to make the banner, we can display it nice and visible. This is going to be perfect for our FX sabers, at night, a little dark, is Jake the only Jedi we'll have there?

23. Dark_Lady_Jada

Dec 7, 2004
    IF IF IF IF IF!!!!

If I can find a way to occupy my kid and get the car I'll come on Friday.

24. Mugen

May 7, 2005
    Lady J...you have to be there...I want that ship..not excuses!

You can borrow Dial's red lightsaber you sithy person you..

25. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    looks lie we may end up with 2 wookies and two fetts some nights!