Tucson TFF WebSite, needs input

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by hal9k1, Jan 30, 2006.

Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby
  1. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Minor update to the main page and some links.

What I would like to do, something that I originally did but took it down very fast.

One page. One graphic. Each graphic a hot spot (link). I took the first one down because I thought it was too confusing to a person that never saw the page. I also did one that was a moving panoramic shot of Tucson/Tattoine/Deathstar/Galaxy and each item in the graphic was clickable. Again, too confusing to navigate.

I never resolved the navigation part. That?s why it was not up for very long. Also, I had a hard time getting it to show properly in each browser. Some paines never showed and it was just too slow to load

I don't want to do a "high" and "Low" bandwith site 'cause it's too hard to update and format each change made.

Simpliest was like this http://starwarz.com/ (it had lines connecting the planets, like trade routs) but the planets enlarged or rotated when moused over. Others I had to edit out pieces of a graphic to make it work as hotspots, and I "borrowed" the graphics. Not a smart move on my part.

Any ideas?

I know 2 poeple in the group that know code, I might ask for some help if I make it more conplex. My code is old and I forgot most of what I once knew.
  2. FORCEinept Jedi Knight

star 1
    You know I'll help, I'm still toying with the flash.
  3. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Cool, Thanks!
  4. dialswiftjustice Force Ghost

star 4
    i like the addition of the pic, but of course im biased, but there seems to be a square around the inside of it distoring it a bit, i dont like , also having the vader two suns logo there twice seems redundant, but hey im only one opinion, why not try it in the middlereplacing the other logos, just to see how it looks?

I do like how you made the banner images links tho
  5. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I beveled your picture... I can unbevel it as well.

Replace the old 3 panel (vader, text, twin suns) logo with the new one? It would change the whole shape of the page but it can't hurt either. I'll see how that looks.
    I did make it (new community graphic) the background and made it transparent, looked good but very hard to read text.

6. _Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    LOVE the new site opening page

The only thing is that it's too big. I know there is some way to change the size according to your screen's resolution, but if that's not possible, then I would suggest that you cut the size down by 1/3 or so. I had to use the scrollbars to see the whole thing, and I am on 1024x768 res.

Here is my contribution to the image collection
    I don't have that nifty font that is used on most of the logos, so the text on top is more of a placeholder. But here's a rough draft:

[image=http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/TucsonFanForce/tff.jpg]

Let me know what you think
  7. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Very Nice... giving Dustin a run with that (even though it's his components)... may I use it? it might look very god with white text centered on the page.

As far as the resolution... it's set for 1280X1024. I did that 'cause I've had the resolution problem before and I figured it's best to go with highest rez site than lowest. If it's too big it's still legible, if it's too small you can't read the text.
  8. _Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    Of course you can use it. Unfortunately, I only have Photoshop at my school, so I can't change the picture till Friday.
  9. firstsonofsolo Jedi Master

star 4
    [image=http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g58/girlstrat/Star%20Wars/tucsonatnight.jpg]

[image=http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g58/girlstrat/Star%20Wars/az-tucson-v74_740932222222.jpg]

I am partial to these 2 pics.......Thoughts? Maybe some TIEs flying over head and a deathstar in the big one?
  10. dialswiftjustice Force Ghost

star 4
    Ok, I know I designed it but I showed it to Michele, my folks, and some friends on the job, and they REALLY like it because it shows off us doing community things, right when you get to the page. Its big, colorful, and it says who we are just by looking at a few pictures, and begs you to click onthe pics link to see more.

Personally, I think it smokes almost all the other Fan Force sites. it says "Lightsabers! Kids! Community! Costumes! Vader Loves Swings!" right when you get to the site. You see so much abtu us immediatly, and anyone thinking about using woul dsay "oh yeah thats what I wanted" before even getting to the pic link! It also fills the screen, which I really like unlike the previous versions which had way to much empty space. I think this is the best yet, PLEASE LEAVE the welcome page!
    Awesome Job Damian, your a wizard!
    Do you want me to send you a coupla different sizes?

So there's my take.
  11. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm not going to make changes till after the 1st of next month. I think I"m leaving the main page (maybe making enlarging hot spots that are hotlinks) and using the rest as backgrounds or something.
  12. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    http://www.danzelmo.com/www.tucsonfanforce.com/Order66/GalacticEmpire.htm

New page(s)
  13. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    OK, I started making some minor chages. Most importantly are the ones on the main page.

Here is what I wrote (from the top of my head) as a description of the TFF. This is what the public will see and determin if they want to look further and contact us.

First and foremost the Tucson Fan Force is a group of like minded People that share a common interest. We are also all friends, our love for Star Wars is what brought us together. We are completely voluntary group.
    We use our group as a platform to do good in out community. We do charity walks, visit children in the hospitals; educate the community, food drives, fundraisers, or any event for children. We do this at our own time and expense, we charge nothing for it.
    We have a diverse membership, from 13-50 year old males and females. We have members in other organizations also such as the Rebel Legion, and the 501st stormtrooper legion (Costume based Star Wars international groups), other charity organizations.
    We are not all business. We have fun also. We forester local road trips, movie outings, RPG night, Book clubs, parties, monthly meetings get together and basic socializing.
    If you would like to know more click the logo for ways to contact us.

I need to know what changes need to be made. Either put something in or take something out. Whatever is best to gather intrest and be informative. Rewrite whatever, I'm doing this blind and need help.
  14. KickingnScreaming Jedi Knight

star 1
    Okay here is my opinion:
    I love the way the site looks. I really like the intro page that Dustin designed. I think what you have written here is great. It is to the point and describes everything the TFF does without going into hardcore detail. I was wondering thought if you were going to consider using one of the images Mike (i dont remember his "handle" AnakinVader?) made. I think those are great too. I prefer the one with luke and is that obi ? Maybe use it above what you wrote here?

First and foremost the Tucson Fan Force is a group of like minded People that share a common interest. We are also all friends, our love for Star Wars is what brought us together. We are a completely voluntary group with no ties to LucasFilm.

We use our group as a platform to do good in out(r)community. We do charity walks, visit children in the hospitals; educate the community, food drives, fundraisers, or any event for children. We do this at(on?) our own time and expense, we charge nothing for it.

We have a diverse membership, from 13-50 year old males and females. We have members in other organizations also such as the Rebel Legion , and the 501st stormtrooper legion (Costume based Star Wars international groups), other charity organizations.

We are not all business. We have fun also. We forester(foster or organize)local road trips, movie outings, RPG night, Book clubs, parties, monthly meetings get together and basic socializing.

If you would like to know more click the logo for ways to contact us.

15. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks! [face_blush]
  16. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Final "Tweeking" has been done to the site before C4.

News page is updated http://www.danzelmo.com/www.tucsonfanforce.com/tff_news.htm

Main page has a new addition(s) http://www.danzelmo.com/www.tucsonfanforce.com/TFFMainPage.htm

A C4 pictures page has been linked and created (for future use) http://www.danzelmo.com/www.tucsonfanforce.com/C4.htm

The "Galactic Empire: Order 66" page has been cleaned a bit http://www.danzelmo.com/www.tucsonfanforce.com/Order66/GalacticEmpire.htm

Some alignment in general has been fixed
  17. dialswiftjustice Force Ghost

star 4
    :eek: thats...thats incredible, you are a genius!
  18. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks... believe it or not it will stay that way for a week, no changes.
  19. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    C4 picture page ahs been updated with new links to pictures as well as the sale page
  20. dialswiftjustice Force Ghost

star 4

Genius!!!

My Uncle uploaded one of the KVOA spots for the USPS Stamp premier, the others are taking to long on his dial up and Ill have to do them when I get home
  21. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    A new picture page is up 6.2.07 TFF Meeting http://www.danzelmo.com/www.tucsonfanforce.com/TffMeeting6.2.07.htm

22. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    New updates!

http://www.danzelmo.com/www.tucsonfanforce.com/members.htm

Anyone have an issue with this please tell me.

Pictures can be chaged to a different one if you provide them. Or removed completly. Cash will change hands. :p

If you don't have a picture I need one.

If I forgot someone please tell me.
  23. jedirevan1 Jedi Master

star 1
    That pic is slowly becoming the trademark shot of me isn't it? :)
  24. hal9k1 Jedi Master

star 4
    Send me another if U want and I'll put that up. It's what I pulled to use. I assigned it to your profile in my phone. Not really sure where it came from. Not like I have tons of pictures of you on my computer (that would be creepy). [face_hypnotized] :-B
    Unless.... you want to send them to me. :p
  25. _Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Knight

star 3
    I could send you my picture of Cat that I have on my wall [face_laugh]

jk. I took it down, too. had to make room for more posters.
Moderators: DieWompRatDie, Grimby