main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TFN Fanfilms convention? Meet your favorite board members!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by SovereignKnight, Jan 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    watch fanfilms in quiet awe. after all, we brits don't show any emotion!

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

2. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    *hugs Nick*
    Don't forget the b33r!

3. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    "Yeah ..... then we can party with THE OSMONDS and dodge legions of white-shirt, black-tie bicycle riders
    trying to convert us to be Mormons. "

Speaking of the Osmonds, we're still trying to arrange a cameo for our "Star Trek: The Musical" scene in Fanboy Zealots. Marie is my friend's neighbor.

And you'd be surprised how few missionaries you see riding around here. They usually go places where the population isn't ALREADY 98% Mormon ;-P Hehe, we got in a snowball fight with some last month.

"Plus you forgot to mention that the legal blood alchohal limit is like .00003 "

Well, we like drivers sober ;-P

4. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    <<*hugs Nick* >>

Ah, gotta love Kate!

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

5. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    Cheese? One word for ya: Fondue. :D

Chris

6. Darth Virru

Darth Virru Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 11, 2000
    In response to Poorturtle a ways back:
    "4. That's not a ride at Disney you feel, that's the whole damn state sliding violently back and forth on the continental shelf

sure beats a tornado."

As a meteorology major in the state of Oklahoma, I find that statement to be quite disturbing. Geographical location and the residing society determine whether that statement would be true or not. While a tornado in California would probably be considered a disasterous event to CA residents, I feel that very few people in Oklahoma would consider a tornado to be as disasterous as an earthquake. People in OK are very knowledgable about the weather. Severe storm potential is also rather simple to predict compared to that of earthquakes. When the local tv weather personality mentions a chance of severe weather, most people take note and make sure they are aware of conditions throughout the day. Also, there are always storm spotters out reporting conditions, locations, and movements of severe cells across the region. Because of this and warning systems, most people are able to stay relatively safe at all times. Tornados themselves are also more likely than not, weak and short lived. They also are unique in the sense that a house may be destroyed, but
    50 feet away across the street there isn't a scratch on anything. There have been disasterous events in recent times such as May 3, 1999, and that of the most recent Cordell tornado,(I missed that one, I was chasing the one to the north by Foss) but on average, most tornados spawn and retract without causing much damage at all. However, if there was ever an earthquake in Oklahoma, half of the state would be demolished, because unlike in California, buildings, roads and bridges here aren't built to withstand an earthquake whereas in California, they are. And, since in California the buildings are built to stand up against earthquakes, most likely they would fair quite well against an indirect hit of a weak to moderate tornado. So . . . in response to your statement, I feel that because of the rare occurances of strong tornados(approximately 1-3 F5's per year nationwide), the advanced warning, and unlikeliness that a strong tornado will strike a highly populated area, that a tornado is no worse than an earthquake, and in many cases, an earthquake is much worse. However, if you would like to be afraid of something, be afraid of flooding. Flooding kills the most people per year nationwide and worldwide out of all natural phenomenon.

Darth Virru

7. Janz_Walker

Sep 9, 2000
    <inside joke>Hey! Welcome to Club Cancer-Sabre! :D</inside>

8. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    If its sooo inside, whyd u put it on here? :-D

Cmon...explain it. PLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEAASEE???

~Neszis~

9. Janz_Walker

Sep 9, 2000
    All I can say is that listeners of Digital Llama Radio will get what I'm talking about. It's so cool hyping another person's show. :)

Chris

10. Golden-Y

Golden-Y Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 18, 2000
    so.......................are we gonna have a convention? are we gonna meet?

ok

time to go back to whatever i was doing (in california ;) )

11. DarthKlown2

DarthKlown2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 17, 2000
    About a year and a half ago I mentioned something like this on a couple of boards. My ideal place for it would be at WizardCon in Chicago (because its SORTA centrally located.....sorta.....there is a ton to do in Chi-Town etc etc). But the Califolk seem extrememly reluctant to travel anywhere. My whole thought was to make it inconvenient" for everyone, not just everyone outside of SoCal *shrug*.

SovereignKNight where in Ohio are you? I am also in the Buckeye state.

And I am going to marry Jen/Zayn someday.

Patrick

12. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I'm suprised no one has mentioned SIGGRAPH, considering that many fan film makers are also involved in CG and FX. SIGGRAPH has BOF meetings and provides rooms to hold these meetings for free, though scheduled on site. Considering SIGGRAPH is the most important CG and FX conference in the world it would be a good option. Last year in LA they had a BOF of Blender users, and another one of a ray tracing roundtable. This year it'll be in San Antonio.

13. Janz_Walker

Sep 9, 2000
    Lord Gita would be happy if it was held at SIGGRAPH. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.