main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TFN Main Page: 6 Different DVD Releases This Fall!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by darth-sinister, Jun 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sithsarbad

sithsarbad Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2003
    No problem man

It probably would be a blur for me too

However I remember that if you put it in your computer you got to see the first trailer for AoTc

2. Psycho_Sith

Psycho_Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    I'm probably going to end up buying the PT box set since my bonus discs for TPM *and* AOTC don't wanna work anymore for me.

Off topic about the(possible) future OT changes, I want to also see the cut scene reinserted where Vader chokes a Royal Guard who denies him entrance to the throne room elevator - shows that he's no one's lap dog!

I read every page of this topic and I agree I'd like to see total visual cohesion throughout the Saga and agree with Sapes on wanting this prequel prequel film!

3. JediJabo

JediJabo Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 17, 2004
    I'll just get the ROTS dvd unless the PT boxed set has a lot of special features like the OT one.

4. EMPTYasTULL

EMPTYasTULL Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    Put OBI-1 in charge of the new DVD releases. That was some good stuff.

This release and the other DVD release when all the movies are in 3-D. It's coming, you know. I'd rather blow my money on this than crack. But not heroin---Mmmm, heroin.

5. Death_Stick_Dealer

Death_Stick_Dealer Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2005
    The only way I am buying the box set in November is if they have the 1978 Star Wars Holiday Special included as a special feature. I want to have my copy of Bea Arthur dancing and singing. Forget Yoda, give me Bea.

6. Admiral_AckBas

Admiral_AckBas Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    --Original VHS & Laser Disc releases.
    --Special Edition VHS & Laser Disc.
    --1995 & 2000 O-OT VHS THX/digital sound & Widescreen versions.
    --April 2000, TPM VHS (almost a year after the theater)
    --November 2000 TPM DVD (six months after we waited a whole year for vhs!!)
    --Aotc DVD, then a boxed set of Eps 1 & 2 Shortly thereafter.
    --OT DVD widescreen AND pan and scan (full screen).Partially fixed, but with a ton of neglected flaws (perhaps intentional) to give reason to re-release a "better version".
    --a truck load of bonus features still remains unreleased, combined with highly anticipated "changes" or "additions to the movies"

Yes? I still see only one DVD release for each movie? That boxed set for 1&2 was no boxed set, it was simply the two DVD's sold together. No special case or anything. And buying both the widescreen and the pan&scan versions is ridiculous.

Fact of the matter: only one DVD release for each movie so far. I see no milkage.

7. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    No, it's a matter of a few bitter fans complaining about not getting what they want. The originals ARE preserved. ANH is safe and sound in the National Film vault somewhere in the midwest. Lucasfilm has their own archives. You just won't get to see them because Lucas doesn't want you to -- and that's his right. They're his movies, his stories, his art.

Again, false. It isn't a "few bitter fans." Film aficiandos and historians as well have weighed, as has the Federal Government of the United States. On at least two occassions to my knowledge, film festivals have requested permission to showcase the original film to recognize the huge cultural impact 1977 STAR WARS had to cinema; and both times those festivals were refused access to show anything but the Special Editions, which hardly makes for relevant display at an event honoring film history.

As I said, even the Federal Government, by way of the Library of Congress, has given its official opinion on the matter in this statement to the media:

"I think Star Wars is such a seminal film," says Steve Leggett, staff coordinator of the National Film Preservation Board, the body that advises the Library of Congress on which films to include on the registry. "We would hope that somewhere down the line <Lucas> could release the original theatrical version as well as the <revamped> cut. It would be great for both scholars and historians.... Access is completely at his discretion, especially in this case since he owns the copyright as well."

Sounds like "bitter fan" to me, doesn't it? Not hardly. It is a man charged with the preservation of film history. His profession. His entire life and energy is spent with learning more about film and it's history, and to preserve those films which have a lasting impact on the American culture. FEW people are more qualified to speak out on the importance of a film and it's unbridled embrace by the American culture. And as such an expert, Leggett weighs in favor of releasing the original theatrical on behalf of fans, future generations and film scholars.

But again. It is entirely Lucas' right to do what HE wants. It is HIS wish, regardless of any other human beings' feelings, that they are not released.

The Sith only care for themselves. - Anakin Skywalker, REVENGE OF THE SITH

8. Sithlord_kev

Sithlord_kev Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 20, 2005
    What changes will appear on the DVDs?

9. lexluthor88

lexluthor88 Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    yeah il get it... i mean my sw dvd discs have got a bit worn and scratched over the yrs cant wait
    whats the £££ of the thing going to be

10. CoachMaul_36

CoachMaul_36 Jedi Youngling

Jan 12, 2005
    Great post Hudnall. I couldn't agree more that it is more than just bitter fans wanting more. I have to say however, I am a fan who would love to have the original, unaltered, copies of the SW movies on DVD. I don't dislike the newer versions, I just want to be able to sit my kids down and show them Star Wars the way their daddy saw it. But hey, its GL's world, he can do what he wants.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    You're just all going to have to deal with it. Lucas will make sure that the original versions of the OT will never be released again, long after he's gone. Cause until someone changes the copyright laws so that they can gain access to them, trumping what Lucas has in place now, it ain't happening.

12. DarthToeJam

DarthToeJam Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Again, false. It isn't a "few bitter fans."

Sure it is. Lucas isn't giving you the versions you want and it pisses you off, regardless of how he feels about the matter. Because you know best. Not the artist, not the owner... you. You're right. Sith only think about themselves -- and you're thinking about what works best for you.

Now, not everyone who would want or would buy the original versions are "bitter" - but the chronic complainers sure are. I'd love to own the originals too, but I'm not whining about the fact Lucas doesn't want to release them.

Film aficiandos and historians as well have weighed, as has the Federal Government of the United States.

And the federal government HAS preserved it. But it should be noted that the version the government locked away was added to the register BEFORE the special editions were created. So the fact that they have the pre-SE version is not an endorsement of that version. It's what was available at the time.

On at least two occassions to my knowledge, film festivals have requested permission to showcase the original film to recognize the huge cultural impact 1977 STAR WARS had to cinema; and both times those festivals were refused access to show anything but the Special Editions, which hardly makes for relevant display at an event honoring film history.

I attended the City of Angels Film Festival at the DGA in L.A. in the fall of 2003. They originally ADVERTISED that they would get the original, but later retracted it. They were NEVER PROMISED the original print (I talked to a festival programmer at the screening) and the only one who seemed to mind was the slightly balding clown in the "Han Shot First" t-shirt. The rest of the crowd clapped and cheered -- they seemed to enjoy the film just fine.

I also just last week attended the AFI screening of ANH at the Arclight in L.A. It also was the Special Edition print (an old print at that - faded and scratched). No one got up and walked out when Greedo shot first. In fact, again, plenty of cheering, laughing and smiles at the end.

As I said, even the Federal Government, by way of the Library of Congress, has given its official opinion on the matter in this statement to the media:

"I think Star Wars is such a seminal film," says Steve Leggett, staff coordinator of the National Film Preservation Board, the body that advises the Library of Congress on which films to include on the registry. "We would hope that somewhere down the line <Lucas> could release the original theatrical version as well as the <revamped> cut. It would be great for both scholars and historians.... Access is completely at his discretion, especially in this case since he owns the copyright as well."

So one guy's opinion makes it official government policy? Riiiiigghhht. Dang, it's LUCAS VS. AMERICA!!!!

I got you beat. After extensive study of scripture I have come to the conclusion that Jesus endorses the SE's. So if you hate the SE's, you hate Jesus. Hey, I'm not saying it. Jesus told me.

And as such an expert, Leggett weighs in favor of releasing the original theatrical on behalf of fans, future generations and film scholars.

Leggett's credentials don't trump the rights of the artist to display his work in the manner of his choosing.

But again. It is entirely Lucas' right to do what HE wants. It is HIS wish, regardless of any other human beings' feelings, that they are not released.

Boo-hoo. Anyone who's feelings are hurt because Lucas won't release the original versions of HIS films on DVD are in need of therapy and medication. Or need to get laid.

Scholars and historians are not the issue in this sad debate. Scholars and historians will always be able to find copies of the originals without searching hard at all. There are literally millions and millions of copies floating around in the world -- the originals will never be precious lost documents bashers like to imagine. What this is about are bitter fans -- yeah, BITTER FANS -- who rese

13. Psycho_Sith

Psycho_Sith Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2003
    ^^LMAO ToeJam

14. Hudnall

Hudnall Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 23, 2004
    Leggett's credentials don't trump the rights of the artist to display his work in the manner of his choosing.

To which Leggett clearly acknowledges. Lucas has every right to do what HE wants.

The Sith care only for themselves.

They were NEVER PROMISED the original print

Of course, they never did. That would be illegal. They furthermore knew Lucas wouldn't do it. And despite your undocumented polling of the audience, the Film Festival used Lucas' refusal as a platform to further fight for the originals to be released. Lucas' refusal was used to get media attention on the matter and raise public awareness.

Sure it is. Lucas isn't giving you the versions you want and it pisses you off, regardless of how he feels about the matter. Because you know best. Not the artist, not the owner... you. You're right. Sith only think about themselves -- and you're thinking about what works best for you.

* You BLOW a lot of hot air and sling personal attacks - but NO MIND to debate things like a true professional or back up your wild statements. You insult and spout out cute little one liners and the only people you fool are the geeks who believe your pathetic "I am somebody" **. Be careful - Karma comes hard and fast -

Personally, I've got the films in EVERY version. That's because I'm a fan and I've always bought them and cared for them. But I do realize that an important piece of history is being lost.

So one guy's opinion makes it official government policy?

If the opinion is that having to do with Film Preservation, yes. It makes it the Federal Government's offical response. That's his job.

If he was talking about immigration laws, he would 1) be fired 2) be out of his jurisdiction and 3) most likely would never go on the record.

But he's not. He's going ON THE RECORD as the Federal Government's offical appointment in all matter to do with film. Which makes him a highly paid expert and his testimony admissable in courts of law, and you just blowing hot internet air - about on par for you. It's his JOB to speak for scholars and historians, not yours, and he has clearly spoken: RELEASE THE ORIGINALS.

15. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    darth-sinister posted on 6/7/05 12:20pm
    You're just all going to have to deal with it. Lucas will make sure that the original versions of the OT will never be released again, long after he's gone. Cause until someone changes the copyright laws so that they can gain access to them, trumping what Lucas has in place now, it ain't happening.
    [hr][/blockquote]

He does this because there is continuity brigade out there that hangs on every detail as part of the In-Universe story. Quite frankly, the fact that we as fans have analyzed the films to death is probably why we will never see them. We hinge opinions on George's every word, so to him it must be a clean story. And to him the SE DVD set is the story...lest we start arguing over what age Anakin was when he "died". That would never happen. [face_wink]

And I'm right there with you analyzing before you get the flameblaster out.. [face_love][face_batting]

16. HoundsTooth

HoundsTooth Jedi Youngling

Jan 18, 2005
    I don't think it will be a "box set" like the OT, they'll probably just be packaged together...like when AOTC came out you could buy TPM and AOTC together, but it wasn't a set (no special packaging or features. Why would Lucas blow the whole load at once, when he can release ROTS in Nov. wait then put out an official fancied up box set and make you buy it twice?

17. DarthToeJam

DarthToeJam Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Lucas has every right to do what HE wants. The Sith care only for themselves.

Yes. Lucas is a Sith because he won't release a DVD. He's evil and selfish. :rolleyes:

They were NEVER PROMISED the original print

Of course, they never did. That would be illegal. They furthermore knew Lucas wouldn't do it.

And you know this how?

And despite your undocumented polling of the audience, the Film Festival used Lucas' refusal as a platform to further fight for the originals to be released. Lucas' refusal was used to get media attention on the matter and bring people's attention to the matter.

How are you making this stuff up?! The festival programmer admitted to me that they made a MISTAKE in printing that they'd have the original print when they didn't. It was a mistake. They were never even promised it. It was a programming error, not some scheme to focus attention on anything. And no one seemed to care. I didn't need to take a poll, I heard the audience reactions. Laughter, applause, smiles -- it's not hard to judge their reaction. Besides, I was there. You were not.

I think you had best lay off the personal assessments of me, DTJ. One day, I just might find my way to some place you decide to be - and southern boys aren't nearly as forgiving as west coasties.

Threatening physical violence is a violation of the TOS and it will be reported.

Personally, I've got the films in EVERY version. That's because I'm a fan and I've always bought them and cared for them. But I do realize that an important piece of history is being lost.

You own it. How is it being lost? And where is it written that everyone is entitled to have their own personal archive? Back before home video and TV, you go to a theater and pay to see a movie. Once. If you missed it, tough luck. It's gone. Lucas has copies and so does the government. History is secure. All over the globe there are millions of copies. You have some, so do I. Digital versions will be copied and copied for generations. Film prints will be stored and preserved. Nothing is being lost.

You have the right to buy Lucas' product or not. Period.

So one guy's opinion makes it official government policy?

If the opinion is that having to do with Film Preservation, yes. It makes it the Federal Government's offical response. That's his job.

He's just expressing a personal opinion, not policy. Nowhere in his statement does he request or demand on the part of the government that Lucas release the O-OT. He "hopes" Lucas would do it, but admits Lucas doesn't need to.

He's going ON THE RECORD as the Federal Government's offical appointment in all matter to do with film. Which makes him a highly paid expert and his testimony admissable in courts of law, and you just blowing hot internet air - about on par for you. It's his JOB to speak for scholars and historians, not yours, and he has clearly spoken: RELEASE THE ORIGINALS

He's a staff member writing a press release. That's not policy. And just how should they be "released" to satisfy the government? Is he demanding a full nationwide theatrical release -- just to make sure scholars in all 50 states have the "right" to see the originals? Or just DVD release? Or have a screening a year just to make sure no one forgets that Greedo shot first?

18. MasterACyard

MasterACyard Jedi Youngling star 1

May 3, 2005
    yeah, that was before i had a DVD drive on a PC.
    What I really liked the most is he put SOME of the deleted scenes BACK in the DVD.
    And I remember when the sandstorm scene took place in TPM, then I totally understood ALOT about George Lucas:
    The water fall deleted scene explanation clear up alot about film making. The extra inutes of the whole ship going over the falls took away from the story of the mission. It was just too much and wasnt needed.
    When he says in articles that the original sandstorm in ROTJ was left out because it had no need to exist-- it took away from the flow of the movie. However, he is into unique "environmental occurrances" to give the reality of the film a real world kinda feel to it, so he was cool about WAITING for a situation in the story where something that he WANTED to create served a purpose, rather than just throwing it in an obscure moment.

IMO, I DON'T think that the deleted scene with Luke & Biggs should be put in ANH in the future, but I would like to see it on a bonus disc. I agree with all the TFN members who say somethings (like Obi Wan/Lars dialog & interaction in ROTS)should just be implied.

I just think Georie Boy should WAIT until he has a difinitive version of each movie before he releases "updated visions".

It's a shame to have to buy another movie all over again just because he finally added BailBond Organa on Aldraan before it gets squeezed by Tarkin. I'd like to see it too, but I already own 3 versions of ANH as it is. It's also improbable that Jar Jar will be shown in that scene because he is a senator from NABOO!

Aren't individual opinions awesome? Fuel for endless debates!!!

19. AnikinStarkiller

AnikinStarkiller Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    Lucas and his commercials SAID the last time the OT was released on VHS before the Special Editions that it would be the LAST TIME you could get the original versions of the OT movies.

Alas, no one believed him.

Take your VHS original versions (hopefully you have a copy of them still in shrink wrap or near new), connect your VCR to a video capture card (or better yet, buy a VHS to DVD Recorder), and make your own DVD's of the original versions. If it's a little grainy - hey! - that's in the spirit of the 1970's and 1980's viewings! Just what you purists like!

20. Sosanya

Sosanya Jedi Youngling star 1

May 10, 2005
    Yea..I'm getting all 6..I know GL is gonna change stuff in the OT...he's crazy like that. Besides I want the cool box they'll come in on my DVD mantle.

21. TK-242

TK-242 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 24, 2004
    Here are some cool covers.

http://www.rixgrafix.com/index_094.htm

22. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Ultimately, I would like to see Lucas do for the originals what Robert Wise did for the director's cut DVD of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Several years ago, Wise re-edited the film (in some cases, altering entire scenes) and added updated special effects in several places. On the bonus disc were the original versions of the altered scenes and the television edits which differed from the theatrical cut and represented yet another version of the film, but only the director's cut was available in its entirety.

This way, Lucas' vision of the films would be maintained, and the alternate cuts would be preserved for posterity.

23. Chris_in_Japan

Chris_in_Japan Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2005
    Looked on www.comingsoon.net nothing...
    searched on www.comingsoon.net but nothing....

Is this true ????? or just made up ????

24. darthmini

darthmini Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2005
    All of the Jesus references aside, the last I heard (from within the industry, which I work in) is that they are only re-packaging the 5 DVDs we already have into a 6 DVD boxed set (current OT sans the bonus disc and EP 1, 2, & of course 3) no changes planned on these discs for now...and of course there will be the ROTS DVD by itself. (possible bonus goodies)...the word was that any "special" Saga set coming out would be in 2006 (bonus footage, new scenes, Special Edition updates?who knows)...and unless Lucas changes his mind, which he almost never does...I think we can avail ourselves to ROTS on DVD in November and something new and squidgy from Lucas with all 6 films in 2006.

25. Indy3

Indy3 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    TFN says comingsoon.net's insiders because the owner of comingsoon.net gave TFN an exclusive news, all TFN had to do was to referance comingsoon for the info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.