main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TFN needs to stop posting spoilers in the title (WARNING - possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'Communications' started by BoxOfficeMan, Jan 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    So the headline "Hot Tomale" infers the existence of a new planet now? :confused:

This is getting ridiculous.

2. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Agreed.

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    When comes down to it, I think common courtesy, caution and keeping the spirit of the films and story is the best way to go. JP and DLM put it best.

4. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    The word "Hot", along with "The scene mentioned above has long been rumored" pretty much told me that it discussed having lava in Episode 3. Whether or not it was confirmed couldn't be figured out from that information. However, if it hadn't been "confirmed" by a "spy", there would be no need to make it a "SPY REPORT", or to make the text highlightable.

5. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    KightWriter is right. I think, though, what should be done is the same thing that I suggested earlier, namely to talk with Carter and Josh about putting more ambiguous titles on the spy reports. If that had happened, then we wouldn't have this discussion. Also, the NSA rules should be clarified on discussing spoiler material from the novelization is allowed, which should be up to the NSA mods.

6. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Two things, maybe two and a half.

Firstly, when I saw the title ?Hot Tamales? I thought it was referring to Padmé. Well, she is hot. :D

Secondly, I don?t consider anything out of the novelization to be a spoiler. I believe that items in the novelization should be considered true until proven otherwise, not the other way around. And with something like this, well, who didn?t think that Anakin fell into some kind of fiery pit? It?s one of those things that we can assume everyone knows. Sort of like ?Palpatine is evil?, and ?Anakin loved his wife?. It?s one of those things that?s fairly self evident.

Gandolf may start beating people with his staff soon, but Genghis won?t be one of them. [face_devil] If something that was written over 20 years ago is a spoiler, then there?s something really loopy going on. [face_plain]

7. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    who didn?t think that Anakin fell into some kind of fiery pit?

People who realized falling into a fiery pit doesn't usually give you paralysis, two crushed lungs, and scars that look like they're from lightsaber cuts, not burns.

8. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Would I be right to assume, since much material from 20 years ago is obviously correct, that Episode 3 will also reveal how Obi-Wan and Owen are brothers?

9. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Yodajeff...
    It didn't state they were brothers by blood. [face_mischief]

Any misunderstanding is obviously on your part. :D

But, most importantly... Please provide the movie scene where we find out they're not. [face_mischief]

10. Carter-TFN

Carter-TFN Ex-Staff, Admin Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2001
    I didn't post that news item but I think the title is ambiguous enough. We also posted a similar news item about some locations in Italy a few months earlier so I don't think it's a spoiler, in either case.

11. YodaJeff

Oct 18, 2001
    Genghis, while it's not a movie, the Official Site clearly states the following:
    Although a number of spin-off materials were published in 1983 and in subsequent years stating that the two characters were related, those materials were based on outdated and eventually discarded information.

If that information was "outdated and eventually discarded", how can we be certain that none of the other information from the various novelizations isn't?

12. MrMarcus

MrMarcus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2003
    I agree with the Carter Administration on this issue.

13. Mace Windy

Mace Windy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 3, 1999
    Please excuse any misspellings in the following post. I am pressed for time:

The fact of the matter is, TFN, and these boards for that matter, could be much more courtious to the Non-Spoiled Community. What dissapoints me the most, I would say, is the fact that the majority of the members and moderators on these boards are spoiled members. Do you guys have a right to look at all of the spoilers that you want? Certainly. However, I am sure that most of you haven't ever ventured into the Non-Spoiler forum. Had you, you may have noticed a thread a few months back discussing whether or not we may see this "rumored volcano battle." Its quite a large thread, actually, and its one which sparked lots of discussion.

We are all aware that an early story draft, and the ROTJ novel, I believe, contain information which would lead us to believe that such a battle where to take place. We're non-spoiled, we're not stupid. We don't need the mighty spoiled community to tell us, "well, you should know this", or "this should be common sense." We certainly don't need the spoiled community telling us that its not a big deal. We don't need you guys telling us that we shouldn't worry. We, as a non-spoiled community have done this for two films thus far, we know the drill. We certainly have more experience with it than you. You may claim that a title is "ambiguious," but if this many NS members can figure out exactly what that title means, than how ambiguious can it be?

Please, let the Non-Spoiled community govern themselves. stinrab and I will look at some of the rules, and if we feel that there needs to be a change made, please allow us to make changes as we see fit. In turn, please respect the rules that are created, and try to follow and enforce them.

I know that it is hard to see things from our point of view, but please try. Lets give as many members an enjoyable final Star Wars episode as possible. :)

:cool: Mace Windy,
    win or lose, eagles fan for life!

14. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Yodajeff...
    Well, it's a moot point with respect to this item, because evidently, this is one which was not discarded. :)

But, in any case, you have your Obi-Wan/Lars answer, which wasn't ever relevent to anything here to begin with. :)

15. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Let me ask you this:

What do the spoiled fans gain from spy report titles that give away enough information to make some spoiler-free fans cringe? Since fans who are interested in spoilers are going to read the stories regardless, it seems to me TFN loses nothing by being more considerate to the spoiler-free segment of its fanbase.

16. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Oi mods, take the canon wars out of here before I bane you.

Windy is the non spoiler mod, DLM was the former Non spoiler mod, presumably they know their community pretty well and they're both saying the same thing.

I'd also like to add they make a cute couple.

<innocent.gif>

In any case I'm sure they would love to ask TFN to be a little more cautious in their exuberence next time.

17. Carter-TFN

May 24, 2001
    "You may claim that a title is "ambiguious," but if this many NS members can figure out exactly what that title means, than how ambiguious can it be?"

Then the news item itself wasn't much of a spoiler to begin with.

18. MrMarcus

MrMarcus Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 7, 2003
    Right on Carter.

At best the so-called spy report *slash* rumor confirms what type of planet *might* be in Eppy 3.

19. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    The theory is common knowledge, the verification, however, is a spoiler.

If the title and blurb can be easily understood as verification of the theory then it is a spoiler.

Furthermore, I thought TFN was here to support all SW fans not just the people who wanted to be spoiled rotten. In that case how can being a little more cautious in titleing stories be too much to ask for?

20. wstraka5

wstraka5 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2002
    Intresting to see that other people are saying the same thing I have been saying for the past couple of pages. Sheesh, took a while.

Carter-TFN, I think all they are really asking for is for you (or whoever writes the Spy Report) make the title a little more ambiguous. I don't know how, but I believe that that is what the NSA people want in the future.

21. Jon_Snow

Jon_Snow Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 4, 2001
    Unless we just start calling spoiler reports by numbers (and if we do, some people might think spoiler reports 327 and 1138 suspiciously titled ;)), we?re never going to completely eliminate the potential that people are spoiled by titles. Barring a numerical system (which would be effective, if geeky to the extreme), I think that spoilers are well enough hidden. I also thought it referred to Padmé, or maybe to Tatooine, or maybe to whoever was catering for the shoots. [face_blush] [face_mischief]

People who realized falling into a fiery pit doesn't usually give you paralysis, two crushed lungs, and scars that look like they're from lightsaber cuts, not burns.

Lightsaber cuts can cause falls, and what his scars look like is a matter of opinion, impact against lava from a long fall causes breakage (even water can do that depending on how you fall and how long the fall is and lava is more dense than water), and lava is hot, so when he sucks it in it destroys his mouth, lungs, throat, etc. I don?t recall any movie or EU source that said his lungs were crushed, just that they were destroyed.

Please don?t confuse realizations with assumptions and theories.

22. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    farraday...
    The verification isn't a spoiler either - it was published twenty years ago officially by LFL (as opposed to you or me cranking out our own fan-fic novellization without LFL's knowledge).

Or do you believe LFL is lying to us with the things they publish?

Lucas: "Hey, let's try to screw over that 'farraday' guy today."

23. Carter-TFN

May 24, 2001
    The spy report itself was posted as a rumor, there's no verification.

wstraka and others, understood about making titles more ambiguous, but since I fall into the NS camp, I've sent a note to Josh.

24. farraday

Jan 27, 2000
    Genghis, don't force me to bring Gandolf in here to smite your forehead with his staff.

The NSA mods have the best understanding of their forums and what should be and is considered a spoiler.

farraday: "I knew it!"

;)

Edit//Carter how can you know it's a rumor without reading it?

25. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    farraday...
    This thread deals with TF.N headlines.

Any new 3NS spoiler guidelines were actually an off-topic tangential issue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.