main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TFN Reviews Attack of the Clones- **OFFICIAL** thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Sabersparx, May 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Gster

Darth_Gster Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 16, 2001
    they said tonight.....is it midnight yet?

2. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Eastern US yes, rest of the country no.
    Doesn't seem to matter though. To these guys, "tonight" could mean anytime between now and dawn :)

3. Darth_Gster

Nov 16, 2001
    I finish my film degree on thursday next week and then im off to see the midnight showing of a film who's orginals got me intrested in filmaking anyway. Ironic isnt it that all is meet in circles!

4. RPooDPoo

RPooDPoo Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2002
    I hope the review is good as im sure it will be.... I think me and my girlfriend are about to brake up cause im driving her up the wall with all the excitment....

5. Darth_Gster

Nov 16, 2001
    the only thing i worried about in this film is the genosians (spelling). I always visioned 1000's of madalorians (jango fetts) against 100's of jedi.

Some one tell me are the geosians ok?

6. Darth_Gster

Nov 16, 2001
    did the force.net like phantom or jedi?

Just 4 the record, i loved them!

7. hippie1kenobi

Apr 28, 2002
    Darth Gster,
    I can proudly say I am so unspoiled I have no idea what you are talking about. Please DON'T explain ;)

8. Darth_Gster

Nov 16, 2001
    i'm 95% spoiller free and wont spoil it 4 you i promise.

I emailed T-Bone today and he repiled that all star wars fans will LOVE this film

9. Sabersparx

Sabersparx Jedi Youngling star 1

May 7, 2002
    Oh God, I'm getting restless.

Something I've been thinking about...

Of ALL the trailers, TV spots, and whatnot released...have we seen the best Episode II has to offer? Sure we loved the footage and previews, but how much HAVEN'T we seen? I mean- are they holding a lot of it back or not?

10. hippie1kenobi

Apr 28, 2002
    And that, my friend is why I've been trying to avoid everything.

One of the other reviews said that there was a lot held back from the trailers and commercials. Don't remember which one, sorry.

11. Harlowe Thrombey

Harlowe Thrombey Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 19, 1999
    Hey, its up now. I read the first couple of lines and the last couple of, but he stated in the beginning that it's chock full of spoilers. That would be great if some spoiler lover could edit it down so we non-spoilerphiles could get the gist of the review. Please?

12. Radiohead

Radiohead Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 31, 2002
    Reviews are up now. Go check them out.

13. spacemonkey

spacemonkey Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 28, 2000
    so much for looking after the non-spoiler fans.

14. Harlowe Thrombey

Feb 19, 1999
    Hmm, I just read the intro to the second review. He seemed like he liked it, but was very reserved compared to some of the other reviews that have been coming out. The guy from CNN acted like AOTC was going to blow Spiderman out of the water when it comes out (not just in terms of immediate box office, but for the box office title this year and popularity.) Of course, the TFN reviewer was completely spoiled...

15. JeTmAn19

JeTmAn19 Jedi Youngling

Nov 10, 2000
    Yeah, can somebody prune those reviews for spoilers? It seems a little insensitive to not have at least one of the reviews be spoiler-free, but maybe somebody can just get rid of all the spoiling references and put the rest in a post.

-JeTmAn

16. jedi-jeff

jedi-jeff Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 2, 2000
    In order to avoid spoilers, I just glossed over the reviews, and simply read the conclusions. Both reviews were very positive and the reviewers thought it was better than Episode I.

Apparently, Jar Jar Binks only has a small role and one of the reviewers who thought Jar Jar was OK in Episode I, was very negative towards this character in Episode II. Like the reviewer, I was not as negative towards Jar Jar as were the majority of fans and I wonder if I will dislike this character Episode II as much as the reviewer.

The CGI Yoda was a subject of debate from the group that saw Episode II. The impression I got from just skimming through the review was that the CGI Yoda was viewed favorably but you could tell that this was not a puppet.

17. OneTruth

OneTruth Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    First review edited. I had to remove whole paragraphs so it probably doesn't flow correctly, but I think you'll get it. I *think* and hope I caught everything.

Three long years of intense scrutiny and nervous anticipation of the latest chapter in the Star Wars saga were condensed into roughly 2 hours and 20 minutes of celluloid film projected onto a movie screen, and I can say with great pleasure that Episode II, Attack of the Clones delivers in a huge way.

The most breathtaking aspect of Episode II were the cinematic vistas and interplanetary cityscapes in Attack of the Clones. ILM has taken the Star Wars universe into the next stratosphere taking you into world's unknown.

The final arena and the [removed] battle on [removed] is like nothing you've ever seen in a Star Wars battle. You will be blown away by the intensity, the insanity, and the sheer scope of the battle that takes place.

The acting and dialogue was markedly improved from Episode I, but I have to admit there are times where it suffers a few of the same problems as Episode I. Some of lines were simply spoken and fell flat. The more seasoned actors drew from their acting experience and delivered their perfomances very well.

Jango Fett was my favorite character in EP II, and much like Darth Maul in EP I. [Stuff removed}

I was most impressed with the evolution of ObiWan Kenobi. ObiWan grew exceptionally well into the role of a Jedi Knight from his padawan beginnings in TPM. Ewan is much more experienced as an actor and he gives a strong performance as ObiWan. He's still very intense and focused as a Jedi Knight, but not as reckless. You can see glimpses of his character developing into the austere Ben Kenobi that we come to admire and respect in Episode IV.

Hayden Christensen gives a fine performance as Anakin Skywalker. You see many glimpses of his youth as the gifted but inexperienced Jedi padawan. He should grow into his role well for Episode III. Anakin and ObiWan work well off of each other's characters. Anakin has a fondness for his Jedi teacher but feels limited by the restraints ObiWan puts upon him.

Natalie is stunning as Padme Amidala. Her character is much more compassionate and her beauty is the focus of her character role as the damsel in distress, under the protection of her Jedi Knight.

Mace Windu scenes are greatly expanded as well. He is more integral to the happenings of the republic as well. And of course, we get to see him brandishing his purple electrum lightsaber.

Both Ian McDiarmid and Christopher Lee are terrific in AOTC. [Stuff removed]

I've read very little dialogue prior to the screening so I wasn't spoiled in terms of screenplay but I've seen every photo and footage of Episode II that was available in the media or online and it is with regret that I did. Those who know the least about Episode II will have the best viewing experience.

I clearly recognized cameo appearances of Anthony Daniels, Ahmed Best, Lucas's kids Katie and Jhett, and if I'm not mistaken, R2 operator Don Bies. I couldn't recognize anyone from N'Sync [stuff removed]
    Overall, I enjoyed it immensely and found it thoroughly entertaining. I'll definitely see it at the midnight showing come May 16th and I'm sure it will be an experience that's out of this world. I give Episode II, Attack of the Clones, a 9 out of 10

18. Harlowe Thrombey

Feb 19, 1999
    OneTruth, thank you so much, you are the bomb.

Edit: NOOOOOO!!!!! Now I'm spoiled the Lucas' kids make a cameo!!!!!!!! Why didn't you cut that!! NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Just kidding.

19. OneTruth

Nov 29, 2001
    Edited review 2. I think I removed about 3/4th of this one. :)

Scott here! I just got out of a screening of Attack of the Clones and I?m still in a bit of a daze. Three years of anticipation, website coverage, speculation, and spoilers all culminated in the last 2 hours and 20 minutes I just spent in the theater. What did I think of the movie? I enjoyed it. It was good entertainment. Did I love it? I?m going to have to see it a few more times before I can say one way or the other. I?m a bit biased. But everyone I talked to unanimously agreed that we liked it better than Episode I. This movie felt more like the classic trilogy than the first prequel. As of now, I?d say I like the films in the following order starting with my favorite: The Empire Strikes Back, A New Hope, Attack of the Clones, Return of the Jedi, The Phantom Menace.

I was very familiar with the story of Episode II before going in. I read the script, studied the plot points, read the novelization, and everything else before I went in. So the movie made perfect sense to me. Others in the audience had a hard time comprehending what was going on. They were confused by the [stuff removed]

Visually, Attack of the Clones is far superior to Episode I. The planets are cooler, the aliens are more interesting, and the ships are more stunning. [stuff removed]

As you?re well aware, the final battle is the highlight of the film. It brings the ?wars? back to Star Wars. It totally blows away the final battle in The Phantom Menace. [stuff removed]
    If you ever wanted to see a Mandalorian in battle, Jango Fett truly delivers. [stuff removed]

For me there were three things that Attack of the Clones REALLY had to accomplish for me to love it. The first was for me to like Anakin. Hayden Christensen succeeded with that. I thought he did a fine job. [stuff removed]

The second hurdle was for me to believe the romance between Anakin and Padme. This was a mixed bag. I thought Portman and Christensen had great chemistry, especially in the final battle. I believed they were really in love. However, I didn?t like everything leading up to that moment. Their romantic dialogue made me really cringe. It was bad. I also had a hard time believing they could fall in love in such a short time.

I?ve got to add that I thought Ewan McGregor was great in this film. He has a lot more material to work with and also has numerous funny scenes in the movie. It adds a lot more dimension to him and makes him much more interesting than he was in Episode I.

This being noted, there's an excellent chance that we didn't see the final version of the film tonight. The version on May 16th could easily be slightly different.
    That?s all I can think of for now. As I mentioned, I?m still in a bit of a daze. But I?ll reiterate that I enjoyed the movie and I think it was a significant improvement over Episode I. Start lining up for May 16th.

20. Darth_Gster

Nov 16, 2001
    does this mean its any good?

21. Jar Jar

Jar Jar Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 1998
    I am hoping the love story isn't as bad as Scott is saying seeing as it is at the center of the film. :(

I am however very pleased that they think Hayden did a great job. I always had faith in him and I'm glad he lived up to their scrutiny. :)

Oh well, we will have to find out about all this and form our own opinions on the 16th I guess.

22. OneTruth

Nov 29, 2001
    On a related note, all 5 reviews gauged so far at RottenTomatoes.com have been positive. I have a good feeling about this. :)

23. Padawan-kirky

Padawan-kirky Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2002
    cnn review ruled he was very positive!!and it will blow spiderman out of his web itll kill him as matter of fact!one of the tf.n reveiws i liked alot i tried not 2 rwead it all casue iknow there were spoilers in uit!the 2nd one i think it was had even more spoilers so ive quite reading ANY REVIEWS un till the movie comes out may 16thi suddest you all do the same before we all get confused and reveal too much 2 ourselves..ive been abit spoiled but i wana keep heaps secret so i can just go wwwwoooooowwww which i know i willl do!!peace out all!! may 16th come sooner!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.