main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TFN Rotoscoping Contest II - Voting Ends April 5

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MaxVeers, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    <h2><a href="http://www.theforce.net/fanfilms/contests/rotocontest2.asp">View Entries Here</a></h2>

Thanks to Jace Taran for the writeup:
    Welcome to the Second Official TFN Lightsaber Rotoscoping contest! This contest will determine who has the best lightsaber FX skills, and will serve to showcase the talent found here at TFN. The winner will receive the honor of being TFN?s ?sabermaster.? In addition, the winnder?s clip and the best clips from each of the different FX programs will be placed on a comparison page. This page will serve as an invaluable tool for helping newcomers decide which software to start out with.

Official Rules

• The contest will start Wednesday, February 23rd and end Wednesday, March 9th

• The contest is open to anyone who wants to participate. All you need to do is roto the clip and send it in by March 9th.

• Only one entry per person.

• Everyone will use the same raw clip, available here.

• The colors of the sabers must be consistent with the characters (i.e., Maul must have a red blade, Qui-Gon green, and Obi-Wan blue) to make it easier to compare results.

• Sound is optional (no award will be given based on sound)

• Contact flashes are optional as well.

Submission Guidelines

• Compress your final clip in Quicktime (.MOV) format, with Sorensen 3, 360*240, at 30 fps.

• Name your clip with your TFN screen name and an abbreviation of the program(s) used for the effect (it doesn?t matter what you use for rendering/compression, only what you used for the effect. You also don't need to include a program if it was merely used to convert a file to another format, like if you used Premiere to create a filmstrip for Photoshop to do the sabers. In this case, you would only mention Photoshop).

List of abbreviations:

AE - After Effects
      PS - Photoshop
      MSP - Ulead MediaStudio Pro
      Blndr - Blender
      Axgn - Axogon
      Mnvsn - MainVision
      AM - Animation:Master
      ADV - Alam DV
      Gmp - Gimp
      PSP- Paint Shop Pro
      MGFX - Micrografx Picture Publisher
      Com - Discreet Combustion

Note: If you are using a program not listed here, simply create your own abbreviation, then contact Jace Taran to let him know what your abbreviation means.

Example: Jace_Taran_MSP.mov

If you used two or more programs for the effect (e.g., if you used one program to do the core, and another for the glow), simply give both abbreviations.

Example: Jace_Taran_AE_PS.mov

• Send a link to your entry to kurt@theforce.net. Do not send any files without warning; instead, find a place to temporarily host the file and email that URL. Your file will then be transferred to TFN hosting space and you will be notified when this happens.

Shortly following the closing of the contest, the polls will be open for voting. An overall winner will be picked, as well as winners under each particular program (the overall winner would automatically be the winner under whatever program he/she used). The winning entries will be placed onto the comparison page, and the winners will also have the option of writing up a small blurb on how they did it (if they used an existing tutorial, they would only write what they did different).

2. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    Pen tools at the ready

3. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Can i do it in MS Paint? :D

Also, I cant wait for someone to post the real clip as it would be so easy to find.

4. toby-wan-kenobi

toby-wan-kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 18, 2005
    Looks like I'm gonna have to say goodbye to the outside world for a couple of days.

5. JimBobCarl

JimBobCarl Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    Max, how does one go about "saving" that clip?

Sorry probably a bad Q but i have no idea, as I right click on the file the save movie or whatever is grayed out, and ideas....?

Somone here once said something about bein g in a cashe or something what's up w/that?

6. outrider462004

outrider462004 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2004
    Alright. I'm in.

Edit. Question about compressing. I don't have Sorensen 3. Can I compress useing AE?

7. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    Jimbobcarl, just click on the link then and it will take you to a new window and load the movie inside the window, then right click when the movie is loaded, and click save as quicktime movie

8. Blueyonder

Blueyonder Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2005
    Are we allowed to put contact flashes in? I know its a rotoscoping contest, but I feel contact flashes would spice it up, just that extra bit... :)

Blue

9. brother_one

brother_one Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2005
    i was just about to comment on flashes.

are they allowed?

what about flashes that last 10-15 frames. you can hide alot of bad roto under those. ;)

10. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    Hm. Maul´s saber (left, last shot) seems to be bent to the ground. What is more accurate? Fixing it in the rotoscoping or rotoscoping it as it is?

11. brother_one

brother_one Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2005
    think you gotta fix it.

12. Red-2

Red-2 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    since the shot doesnt move you can just mask it out, or maybe thats to complex for Ripley...

13. braxtanFILM

braxtanFILM Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Count me out. It takes me like 5 hours to roto a 5 second clip. I suck.

14. JoeyH

JoeyH Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 14, 2004
    Is is that you're too slow, or you try to hard?

And the clip IS only 5 seconds...or 10. Or something like that.

(Instead of doing this, roto everyone in Kung Pow Kitty to have a lightsaber coming out of their nostrils.)

15. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    since the shot doesnt move you can just mask it out, or maybe thats to complex for Ripley...

Yes. Because I don´t use masks for this. I use the third program listed above...

16. Darth_Bone

Darth_Bone Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    Then bent blade is no problem. Just put the saber core straight on top of it and the glow should make it invisible.

17. green-boy

green-boy Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2004
    Count me in! :D

18. Jace Taran

Jace Taran Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2000
    Flashes are OK.

19. drakonis82

drakonis82 Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2005
    hi i'm italian i want to try this contest...

i'm a great fan of star wars...

;)good luck!!!

20. Thrice3

Thrice3 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 24, 2004
    Count me in!!!! Ill have this done in a couple of days. Would you like sound too?

21. Jace Taran

Jace Taran Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2000
    As stated above in the rules, sound is optional (I'm not going to bash you or anything, but I would advise that you should read over everything carefuly before you ask a question).

22. Kaat

Kaat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2004
    I'm definitely in, too. Got a lot of work to do around now, but I'll somehow manage it to roto this thing.

Hey, drakonis. Austrian here! Let's show 'em that European can also do visual effects ;)

23. FigChrystie

FigChrystie Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 12, 2004
    can somebody plzdo my lightsavers plz k thx

24. ZoolInc

ZoolInc Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 15, 2004
    Please say we can use MS Paint...

25. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I'd be interested to see someone do a clip of lightsabers with paint.

You'd have to like, screen it onto an after effects or photoshop file, but still, it'd be funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.