main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TFN Rotoscoping Contest II - Voting Ends April 5

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by MaxVeers, Feb 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Loony_Guitarist

Loony_Guitarist Jedi Youngling

Feb 26, 2005
    I was kinda suprised I came in 22nd. I thought I had a really good clip. as well as unique contact flashes. my masking was prity good too but I guess i am one opinion out of 600+. oh well it was fun anyway.

2. Jedi-Knight_Uk

Jedi-Knight_Uk Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 20, 2005

Hmm, i should just stick to what i'm good at lol

3. drakonis82

drakonis82 Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2005
    ok i'm 5th (entry 35) ;) good position....

4. The_Architect10

The_Architect10 Jedi Youngling

Feb 23, 2004
    Jiminy Jillickers!

My entry was 22. I honestly wasn't expecting to come in first, heck even making the top ten would have been fine and dandy. I'm glad you guys liked it. If you want, I could give you guys some specs on how I achieved the glows and colours.

5. gallion311

gallion311 Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Well done indeed Architect...Congrats.

I'd be interested in seeing the specs for your glows, bestow upon us your knowledge and wisdom.

gallion311

6. brother_one

brother_one Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 26, 2005
    good job everyone except...

third place #11: did anyone even stop half-way through this clip and look at qui-gon's saber? half of it disappears off into lala land. 23 people thought it rated first place?

second place #14: i like liked it. not perfect but deserved second or first IMO.

first place #22: this was good too except 1) wrong saber colour at end of clip. 2) no masking of darth maul's horns 3) qui-gon's saber is so overly bright is looks kinda like a big fuzzy green mass.

anyways, congrats to eveyone.

edit: 11 was missing a huge chunk of obi1's saber at the start too.

strange results

7. dcgraphix

dcgraphix Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2005
    I dont know if anyone noticed but in the last shot of the winning entry the saber in the left corner was the wrong colour it should be blue not green.But otherwise it was pretty damn good,look forward to the next comp,if there is one.I was going to enter this one but I thought it ended on the 9th of this month :(
    LOL I should read more carefully.I was wondering if the entries that didnt make it on time can be posted somewhere else? would be interesting.anyways that's my 2 cents.

8. dcgraphix

dcgraphix Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2005
    Just realised brother_one just pointed out the saber colour discrepancy ooops :)

9. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    ^ ^

That's what the "edit message" option is for. ;) Just an fyi. (Trust me I use it alot lol.)

I think it's safe to say feel free to create a topic and act for constructive criticism on your clip. People will be able to give you lots of feedback and just so you take it with a grain of salt you can learn a lot from their input!

I must say I agree with brother_one on the technical points of 14 & 22 - but I will also say that they were superb clips. Great job to all who entered!

Anyway, it was a nice contest overall and a good learning experience. Congrats to the winners and thanks to all people who made it possible.

I concur. Kudos to Drub, Max, Jace, and any others who assisted in the creation of this contest!

10. The_Architect10

Feb 23, 2004
    Ok, the clip was done in After Effects, and here are the colours specs for entry 22:

I don't know about you guys, but I've played around with colours in After Effects for nearly a year and a half now, and these are what just look right to me.

For one thing, instead of duplicating the core 3 times for the blur effect, I duplicated it 4 times, with the bottom core blurred at 80, along with the other 4 blurred normally as shown in the Ryan_W tutorial.

Red: Shadow Red: 100, Midtone Red: 100, Highlight Red: 100.
    Green: Shadow Green: 50, Midtone Green: 100, Highlight Green: 100
    Blue: Highlight Blue: 100, Highlight Green: 40, Midtone Blue: 100, Midtone Green: 40.

Again, in my opinion, these are what look right to me, others may disagree.

11. rybot

rybot Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 20, 2003
    I would go into how I did my sabers (I was entry 14) but I'm afraid it would take a day for me to type it out so people could understand it. :p Trust me, there are ten layers per saber, it gets confusing.
    Besides, if entry 22 came in first, it's probably not worth the extra time and effort. (me goes and cries in a corner) :D

Congrats to The_Architect10 for his great clip. Just to let you know, I did vote for you, Sabermaster. ;)

12. outrider462004

outrider462004 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2004
    I voted for u dude. Second place though.

13. Mae

Mae Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 25, 2004
    This contest seemed really fun! It's too bad I was busy or else I would have placed an entry. Congratulations to the winners.

I assume we won't be having another rotoscoping contest for awhile, but these are my latest ideas.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v358/DavidAdametz/BLUECYAN.jpg]

14. Tarn

Tarn Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2002
    The mysterious clip 16 was mine, which I'd created using the AlamDV3 beta. As it was created using a beta, it wasn't going to be in the main contest, but then they put it in anyway. And then removed it...all very confusing.

Here's the clip, nice res:

http://tarn.fxhome.com/adv3fight.avi

You can read about the procedure of rotoing the clip in AlamDV3 in this article:

http://fxhome.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=166601#166601

Not bad for a few hours' work. The nice thing is that the glow size and intensity and the curvature of the blades can be altered instantly throughout the clip with just a flick of a slider.

I was concentrating mainly on the rotoing and masking work here, as that's where the proper challenge is - glow is almost entirely down to personal preference.

Having seen some of the results in this contest, we're going to be tweaking some features in AlamDV3 to make it even easier to achieve the preferred appearance, now that we know what people seem to like best.

15. Darth_Bone

Darth_Bone Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 29, 2001
    I went with Ryan´s AE method for my clip exept that I used "Bezier curves" instead of the normal mask points. It takes a bit longer this way but the saber ends become nicely round. The glow was done the same way like the tutorial and I tinkered with the color settings.

16. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Mae - those look pretty good, but I'd soften the cores up juuuuust a little bit. Just my personal preference.

Looks like AlamDV3 could have some nice features - I'm a long-time AE user but I might have to try the demo...thanks for the explanation Tarn.

17. RIPLEY426

RIPLEY426 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2003
    Hm. I kind of would like to find out which Entry is whose? So.. I don´t really remember mine. Can someone tell me?

EDIT:

Aynway, I guess I did NOT win. But still, the rules said we were going to pick "the bst use of program XYZ". And since I am the only one who used Ulead media Studio Pro I guess I am the damn WINNER! WHERE IS MY PRICE!?!?!?!!

18. krnbanguboi

krnbanguboi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 4, 2005
    i can't wait for rotoscoping contest 3

19. Loony_Guitarist

Loony_Guitarist Jedi Youngling

Feb 26, 2005
    mine was entry 12. I noticed that i missed half of obi wan's saber in the first frame but I'd also like some comments on the rest of my footage so I can try to correct and perfect.

20. The_Architect10

Feb 23, 2004
    Okay, so, what happens now?

21. cooljack91

cooljack91 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 11, 2004
    hmm.. 7th place.. I wouldn't doubt it.. I didn't have enough practice when I made it.. Well, Can't wait till rotosoping contest 3. :D

-Ian

22. morpher-2005

morpher-2005 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2005
    so who won this contest?
    i wanna enter but it was too late when i found out about it!

i am still doing it lol! but just for leisure

when's the next contest?

23. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Winner of this contest was The_Architect10.

As for the next one.....eh, I have no clue. :)

24. hammy_g

hammy_g Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 15, 2003
    I know no one is gonna visit this post any more, but for my sanity I shall put this...when the camera changes angle to allow us to see Darth Maul jump into shot, everyone is saying the saber is Obi-Wans.....Infact it is Qui-Gons. I too believed it to be Obi-Wans till I watched the making of documentory on the Episode 1 DVD special features disc!

25. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Lol, good to know...I believe everyone talked it over in the first few pages and decided to say it was Obi-Wan's so everyone could do a common version. Good eye though. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.