main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[TFN] The new TheForce.net

Discussion in 'Communications' started by BobTheGoon, Dec 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    No amount of 'constructive criticism' could fix this monstrosity...except to return it to the old design.

It hath been removed from my 'Favorites' list.

2. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Would you keep dishing out money? Their goal is not to lose fans. They are doing what they believe is good for the future and in the interest of the site.

Sapes...come on man.

Everything that has been done sure does not feel like they are trying to keep fans here. Between Wise Gate and this...there really is no love for the fans.

We are seen as money to Wise...

This was asked by an Admin, whether we liked the site options are not.

If Wise was so keen on keeping his money and fans happy...maybe we could have been asked ahead of time for ideas on a redesign of the site.

No, he goes ahead...kills the whole feeling about the whole site and makes it look like SW Jr.

What kind of constructive criticism can be offered?

None...because of the layout that has been greenlighted...the only way to fix any of it...is to scrap it wholesale.

3. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    No amount of 'constructive criticism' could fix this monstrosity...

my thoughts exactly. i just hope that if we ever get the old front page back, it won't take as long as the Yankees winning another World Series.

4. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    *sigh* Okay.

This is doing something weird to my computer. Everything is loading up very slowly and I'm geting numerous error messages...I can't see the emotions or my icon. Is anybody else having this problem...or is it just me?

5. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    I'm sure they will see the pixel issue and resolve it when they get to it.

Yeah, cause I'm sure Phil visits the boards real often.

Yes, TF.N is paid for by the owners, but one has to wonder how much maintaining the site really costs them when they are making $100 a pop selling autographs with all the free advertising they want. Maybe back when TF.N was non-profit I wouldn't have said anything. Nowadays, though, pointing out the cost of keeping up the site isn't going to earn them any sympathy.

6. ZedIzDead

ZedIzDead Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2000
    I'm sorry TFN but I really really hate the new site. Pretty much all of the reasons why has already been stated.

Fortunately, I can get an RSS feed into my yahoo and get my news that way.

I almost never post but I really wanted to throw in my 2 cents as well.

7. mustang_dvs

mustang_dvs Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 17, 1999
    It appears to me that there was no attempt at ensuring readability or multi-browser compatibility, nor was there any exploration of mainstream, opensource (read: free) technology that could have made the site function much better with very little work.

* The content space is too narrow;

* The dateline text has too little contrast to the background;

* There are no visual clues to lead the eye to the site navigation or content areas;

* Use of multiple, closely-spaced animated ads, combined with the minute text size leads to the eye constantly being pulled away from the content, leading to eye strain and user fatigue;

* The brightly colored, hard, squared-off graphical elements lack an organic quality and have the same amount of friendly character as a collection of 4x4 Lego bricks;

* The code is filled with deprecated tags and horribly convoluted, overly-complicated, legacy scripting;

* The use of a single, super-long pull-down menu is a terrible way to navigate a complicated multi-hundred page website.

8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Interesting that three years ago, the controversy of the time centered mainly around TFN's place in online Star Wars fandom (other Star Wars sites), and now it's mostly just about TFN itself.

Perhaps the competition of those days was a good thing.

9. mustang_dvs

mustang_dvs Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 17, 1999
    re: Bob the goon:

Yup, for $79 a month, I get a business class DSL (1.5Mbit) and five static IPs from Covad... Plus another $50 a year, per domain, for EasyDNS and registration and I'm covered...

Five second-hand PCs could serve this whole shebang (on *NIX, not IIS) -- though I prefer to use a couple of rackmounted second-hand iMacs.

10. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Yup, for $79 a month, I get a business class DSL (1.5Mbit) and five static IPs from Covad... Plus another $50 a year, per domain, for EasyDNS and registration and I'm covered...

Heck, that's only a Anthony Daniels and a David Prowse a month!

11. JMZ

JMZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2003
    I don't like it, but I never go to the main page anymore. If there's any spoilers or anything new about ROTS, I'll find out on 3SA.

12. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I'm going to give a little advice which will help the site greatly. Change the main page back to how it was.

-Seldon

13. Larmo

Larmo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2004
    I like it quite a bit. The old page was quite obviously outdated, and I think alot of people are feeling nostalgic for the old look.

The only problem I have really is that it was clearly intended to look similar to IGN, I guess this is a preview of what it will look like when they take over.

14. Bubba_the_Genius

Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2002
    Instead of scrolling through a section (such as Episode III news) to see all the latest stories, I have to click on each story -- even when each story can be as short as 50 words.

Tell me again how this is an improvement.

15. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I've already gotten used to it.

16. Bubba_the_Genius

Bubba_the_Genius Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 19, 2002
    Q: At the moment, how many times does "Revenge Of The Sith Comic Cover" appear as a headline on the front page?

A: Four. (Latest News, Episode III, Collecting, Comics)

Q: How long is the actual article?

A: Two sentences (including the brief "Simply beautiful!"), or 36 words, with one misspelled.

Q: Was there a good reason for the front page to include the headline four times instead of having the actual article once?

A: No, not that I can see.

17. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    ^ Actual constructive criticism that proves inherent critical flaws in the basic page design.

18. Obi-Wan's Apparition

Obi-Wan's Apparition Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 10, 2000
    The new TFN is one of the vilest websites I've ever seen. :)

19. TheFoolWhoFollowsHim

TheFoolWhoFollowsHim Jedi Youngling star 4

May 4, 2003
    If the designers of the new site intended to drive away any potential new members, congratulations. Mission accomplished. That jumbled eyesore is practically unreadable.

20. CodeName_Targeter

CodeName_Targeter Jedi Master star 5

Nov 7, 2003
    Quite frankly, I think the worst kid at HTML in my technology class could've done a better job with the layout then what we have right now. I agree with what everyone else has said. The font's too small, the page's too cluttered, etc etc, and the banners are really tacky.

If the boards end up looking like this, I'm probably going to end up murdering someone.

:Targeter:

21. Larmo

Jul 26, 2004
    Alot of you people are just jackasses. I'm wondering if TheForce.net is the only website you clowns have ever visited. In case you haven't noticed many sites (including the very unpopular sites IGN.com and StarWars.com) have a very similar style.

22. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I think we're entitled to our own thoughts. Speaking as someone that has been here several years, the idea of such a change is a bit of a shock. An unwelcoming one.

23. BobTheGoon

Sep 21, 2000
    Might want to watch the flaming, Larmo. This is Comms, realm of the mod-lords.

Also, you're a bit outnumbered I'm afraid.

24. TheFoolWhoFollowsHim

TheFoolWhoFollowsHim Jedi Youngling star 4

May 4, 2003
    Alot of you people are just jackasses. I'm wondering if TheForce.net is the only website you clowns have ever visited. In case you haven't noticed many sites (including the very unpopular sites IGN.com and StarWars.com) have a very similar style.

And that makes it better how?

25. Larmo

Jul 26, 2004
    Hey I'm not talking about the people who disagree I'm talking about the people who are saying:

"That jumbled eyesore is practically unreadable."

"Quite frankly, I think the worst kid at HTML in my technology class could've done a better job with the layout then what we have right now."

Exagerrate much?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.