main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TFN Your Say: Is there still a place in this world for point-and-click adventure games?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Kartanym, Jun 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Thanks to master moderator JP-30 for this weeks Your Say topic:

Is there still a place in this gaming world for the classic point-and-click adventure genre? Should LucasArts develop a sequel to Grim Fandango maybe? Has Monkey Island seen its last days? Does anyone play games from this genre anymore?

All those questions can be answered here, so get to it and tell us your point of view.

2. rogue181

rogue181 Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2002
    I don't think so... it was still ok in 1995 but the absolute 0 replay value of these games make them look boring compared to new online games. I might buy one if it's sold for the price of a novel (adventure games are more or less story books for the computer).

3. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Yes ! Those games are the only ones who can really offer a very good scenario. As for their replayability... Well, don't you ever watch a movie twice ?

4. Leoner

Leoner Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2002
    somewhat, if they continue to make good games like Myst and 7th hour, then yes, but other than that, all the rest of the point and klick games have'nt been any good.

5. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Point and Click adventures were cool.

But with new technology, they're becoming obsolete. Sam and Max and Day of the Tentacle have been replaced by titles such as Grim Fandango and Monkey Island 4. But the new 3D titles are lacking and feel somewhat tacked on compared to previous titles. I say, old is best and urge Lucasarts to Bring back the dead genre. The new systems don't cut the cheese like the old ones did.

As for Grim Fandango, does'nt need a sequel, perfect enough already and how on earth could you go in further?
    Monkey Island 5, yes please, considering number 4 was quite a let down. Monkey Kombat, I ask you. Give me insult sword fighting any day.
    DOTT and S&M are begging for sequels.
    Sam and Max is cult gaming, never before has a game come as close to comedy perfection as Sam and Max has. The LucasArts interpretation of Steve Pursel's comic world is work of genius.

6. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Is there still a place in this gaming world for the classic point-and-click adventure genre?

YES.

Should LucasArts develop a sequel to Grim Fandango maybe?

YES.

Has Monkey Island seen its last days?

HELL NO.

Does anyone play games from this genre anymore?

YES.

MORE I SAY. MORE!

7. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Well, the Space Quest series were the first games I ever got addicted to.
    I've never seen anything, in any game, which beats the Space Quest 3 visit to the Monolith Burger. So I say yes!

8. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    Does anyone still remeber "leisure suit larry in the land of the lounge lizards" now that was a classic!! more games like that would be great especially with classier graphics!

9. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Wow - attack of the New Zealanders :p

10. E_Greyshadow

E_Greyshadow Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2001
    Forsooth, I say thee yea to the olde skooled gaming!

11. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    There'd be a need for reworking but yes there's still room for point and click games. I've never seen the games myself but the silent hill games are essentially first person point and click games from their description. If someone who's played them disagree I'll defer caues I'm going off of description. And I'd go for a new Sam n Max game. It's a pity the cartoon version on Fox had to be toned down cause it killed it's chances.

12. Connemara

Connemara Jedi Knight star 6

Nov 18, 2000
    Absolutely! Myst and Riven were unbelievly intelligent games. And the fact they didn't involve a ton of shooting and action left so much more room for intelligent puzzles and storyline.

Next to JK, playing Myst and Riven is the most amazing gaming experience of my life. In fact, it may even rivel JK in the fond memories department...I'd hafta think about it.

13. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Fondest of memories Conne? What about all those games you totally lagged out in? They would have to rank! Surely!

14. skrutop

skrutop Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    About 6 months ago I would have said no, but that's until I went out on a limb and got The Longest Journey. For those of you that haven't played/heard of it (and that'd probably be a lot of you), it was fantastic! I hadn't played a point-and-click adventure since King's Quest 5, but I was hooked right away.

Having played through TLJ, I saw that there's still a future in point-click adventures, but they're more of a refreshing change from the other genres out there (like RPG's and FPS's). Sometimes gameplay makes the game, sometimes it's graphics, sometimes it's a bunch of things. But in point-and-click adventures, creating a great story and characters that you actually care about (like in The Longest Journey) makes the game great.

15. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    The Longest Journey is a fairly decent game, agreed. It's good to see that a few other developers are still working on such titles. I just wish there were a few more.

16. Lone_Padawan

Lone_Padawan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    Of course there is, I just got simon the sorcerer 3d through the post after 3 years of waiting (literally, some problem with publishers) and while the graphics are nothing pretty compared to today it is still incredibly funny and fun to play. And games like myst are just awsome (Which is one of the reasons I hate pcgamer because every time there is a review of a myst game they give it a load of flak, go on about how dull it is, and then give it about 13%)
    And as for monkey island..
    MORE MORE MORE MORE.
    Huzzah.

ps. Not forgetting broken sword of course.

17. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Hey, BTW, they're doing Broken Sword III ! Yeah ! And Myst 4 will be an online game... Wonder how it'll work... :)

18. Jak_Vitanae

Jak_Vitanae Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2002
    Oh, the Monkey Island-style Adventure Game is far from dead. It may look a little different as time goes on, but the interactive storybook will never fade from prominence. In many ways, Final Fantasy X for the PS2 is as much of a linear-story-with-limited interaction as Grim Fandango was, and nobody seems to think that type of game is dying.

19. HotsForTahiri78

HotsForTahiri78 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    I trult loved Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis. It was actually very replayable because of multiple paths you can take

20. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    Well point and clicks may be dead, but there is room for Grim Fandango and its type. GF is my favourite PC game ever. However, Monkey Island 4 sucked big time

21. bountyhunter2999

bountyhunter2999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 13, 2002
    We need more point-and-click games.

My favorite point-and-click game was Shadows Of Darkness

22. Darthmcm

Darthmcm Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    I have lots of them. they are great.

23. JediMark127

JediMark127 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 20, 2000
    They should make a comeback. Monkey Island and Grim Fandango are some of the best games ever. My favorite adventure game is SpyCraft. Does anyone ever remember playing that?

24. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    How many times have I played SpyCraft... Oh... A lot. :D Not my favorite adventure game, but definitively very good.

My favorite are GKII and Grim Fandango.

25. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Space Quest and Kings Quest were the first game series I ever played! They were tons of fun.
    Alas, King's Quest VIII (in 3d) didn't capture the magic of the first ones.

Give me good artwork, and capture the spirit of those games, and I'll play them over any other genre if you give me the choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.