main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TFN's Official Celebration V Banner Artwork Revealed!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Grimby , Aug 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    TFN's official banner artwork for Star Wars Celebration V is finally here! As some of you may already know, a few months ago we contacted resident fan artist Joe Hogan (aka XJapanRoX) about creating some exclusive artwork to be used for the Jedi Council/FanForce table banner at Celebration V.

Joe was very eager to work with us and quickly came up with several ideas and sketches for us to choose from. In an almost unanimous decision, we decided on his depiction of the iconic scene from Empire Strikes Back of Han Solo frozen in carbonite. The finished art was recently printed up on a massive 8'x4' vinyl banner for Celebration V, and we couldn't be happier with the results!

[image=http://www1.theforce.net/jc/images/tfn_cv_banner.jpg]

The banner will be on display at the Jedi Council/FanForce table, located at booth #1524 in the exhibitor hall. As a special treat, Joe himself will be hanging out with us at the table on Friday, August 13th from 11am-12pm! So be sure to stop by and say hello. Joe also designed one of the official FanForce/Jedi Council fan badges which you can download and print right here on the forums, so don't forget to wear yours and tell him how much you love it.

You'll want to stop by the table often, as we'll be giving out free TFN swag and raffling off prizes all convention long! You can also keep up to date with things as they happen by following TFN on Twitter.

About Joe Hogan
    Joe is an avid Star Wars fan whose dream is to become an official Star Wars artist. He is a recent graduate of the School of Visual Arts in Manhattan. You can learn more about Joe at his official web site:
    http://www.joehoganart.com/

Follow Joe's blog, aptly titled "I Will Be A Star Wars Artist":
    http://iwillbeastarwarsartist.blogspot.com/

You can also follow Joe on DeviantArt:
    http://xjapanrox.deviantart.com/

2. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    great art!

3. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I can't tell you all how great it was to work with Joe to go from the thematic idea for our banner (something Empire done in a current CW style) and see the eight (8!!!) sketches he did for consideration and then go forwards with this one (although his Dagobah and Hoth ones were not far behind). Here's to hoping that we see a lot more of his work down the line.

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005

Not only does this make an awesome banner here on the boards, but it also looks amazing as our banner for CV! I can't wait for everyone to see it in person! :D

Thanks so much, Joe!!

5. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    This is definitely the best Celebration table banner we've ever had. Hopefully Joe will post some of the other sketches he did for us, because they were pretty damn awesome too. This one was by far the favorite, but it was still a difficult decision to make.

Thanks also need to go out to Grimby, mavejade, and Dingo for all of their work making the idea of the banner into a reality. Each of these three were instrumental in making this happen. :D

6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    This banner is awesome! Thank you to those that worked to put it together!

7. Grog_StarKiller2

Grog_StarKiller2 Jedi Youngling

May 19, 2007
    Looks cool can not wait to see it in person...
    Great work guys..

8. XJapanRoX

XJapanRoX Official Star Wars Artist star 2 VIP

Dec 5, 2004
    Thanks to all of you for making ME feel like a superstar hotshot artist! Y'all know how to make a guy feel special. =)

I have to mirror Jedi_Dajuan's comment about thanking Grimby, mavejade, and Dingo. Dingo and Grimby especially are the ones I've communicated with, and have been a huge pleasure coordinating with. So thanks again to you guys!! I hope we can work together again soon!

And most importantly of all, I'm glad all of you guys dig the design!

I promise y'all haven't seen the last of me, and I'll be sure to upload those 8 sketches later on, here in this thread, for anyone seeing the evolution of this and 2 of the badges I designed! =)

9. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    Awesome! Love it, sir! Thanks so much, and can't wait to see you Friday!

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Looks great!

Congrats on the gig! :)

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  11. Robonino

Robonino Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2009
    Joe is the freaking man. He's going to be huge one day, I know it. He did the badges and other work for some of us at the Wed. night party at Rebelscum, and he did not disappoint there either. This new banner is amazing. A great take on one of my favorite scenes. Keep up the great work Joe, look forward to hanging with you at CV! To everyone who worked on the project, congrats on securing Joe and this sweet new artwork.

12. dustinroberts

dustinroberts TFN Content Manager star 1 VIP

Aug 23, 2001
    Hey Joe we've added it to the header rotation on the main TheForce.net website! hit reload till you see it!

13. XJapanRoX

Dec 5, 2004
    Ah man, all of you guys are too kind. I can't wait to meet all of you guys who can make it to the table!

And Dustin, I noticed that! That's AWESOME!! I wasn't sure if it was going to make the homepage or not! It's still blowing my mind to see it there. I've been coming to TFN for over a decade for all my Star Wars scoops, since I was just a youngin' (although have only really begun posting here recently), and it's absolutely surreal to see me featured. Thanks so much!!

14. MattDoc

MattDoc Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2009
    Good stuff! Can't wait to see the entire banner hanging up!

Curious...what happens to the banner after the show? Raffled off to someone maybe? [face_whistling]

15. ChewieTitan

ChewieTitan Jedi Master star 2

Dec 26, 2001
    Raffled for charity? If so, I'm in.

16. XJapanRoX

Dec 5, 2004
    Oh man, am I qualified to get in on this raffle?? hahaha! I'd love to throw down some bucks for charity and possibly win this bad boy!

17. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    It looks fantastic! I see great things in your future.

18. MrSkinnee

MrSkinnee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 25, 2002
    I like the raffle idea, but here's another option. We could have members of TFN all sign it throughout the weekend and then give it back to Joe as a way of saying thanks for his hard work.

19. XJapanRoX

Dec 5, 2004
    Thanks so much, jedimika!

And Johnny -- I LOVE the idea! hahaha BUT! I don't think I can, in good conscience, agree to the option that takes away money from charity! LOL I mean, I guess we're also assuming that the TFN folks don't already have plans for the banner afterwards. They printed the banner on their own dime, so I'm sure they already have some kind of idea of where it's going later on...but I DO love both ideas.

I'm behind whichever option, if either, comes to fruition. =)

20. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Great banner, and thanks for doing it! :)

21. XJapanRoX

Dec 5, 2004
    Was a pleasure! Thanks for the kind words. =)

22. XJapanRoX

Dec 5, 2004
    Just wanted to hit up this thread again and thank EVERYONE for their overwhelming support here on the boards and at Celebration V itself. Meeting all of you and the convention itself is easily one of the best experiences of my life, and I can't thank you all enough for your kind words about my work.

I look forward to seeing you all again at CVI! Hopefully before then. [:D]

23. MrSkinnee

MrSkinnee Jedi Master star 3

Mar 25, 2002
    Keep up the great work Joe. At this rate, you'll be the one designing the official C6 badges!

24. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008

What a fabulous banner! Thanks for designing it and making it such an eye-catching one that blew away all the other fan group banners. And it was great photo backdrop during the TFN party! Kudos and I hope the mods will keep the banner around for future con uses.

25. XJapanRoX

Dec 5, 2004
    You guys are too kind! Thanks =)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.