main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming "Thank the (Mario) Maker!": Super Mario Maker Discussion & Level Sharing

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Sep 15, 2015.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Use this thread to make it easier to find people's Mario Maker levels and overall discussion and tips.

First off, this link has tips on accelerating the arrival of the time-delayed building material sets: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ing_items_and_more_in_super_mario_maker_v1_01
    (The short version is: place everything at least once, use each theme and lay down a lot of bricks/blocks)

The time-delay is probably the most controversial aspect of the game, but my recent post in the Wii U thread sums up my take on its benefits and drawbacks:

Though I'm close to finishing my second level (and I'm really, really pleased with how this one is shaping up), I'll also repost the code for my first level (EDIT- now revised), "Goomba Gauntlet 1.1": 3B3C-0000-00D6-BCBE

It is a tough level, but it is not impossible. Looking back at it a few days later and I already see a couple spots where I think I could balance the difficulty slightly better. I'll probably revisit it a little bit down the road as I do like several of the obstacle mechanics overall. I'm almost tempted to make it a SMB1 level skin because it'd be so much scarier, but without a wall jump it might make things too hard- plus the lack of a butt stomp would make one of the secret areas inaccessible.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    One of the elements I love about SMM is the small surprises they've included into it… like the videos you get from entering the codes from the art book into the manual.

With unlocking things, I don't have any issues with it as it allows you to focus and explore with what you have. Sure I do wish for certain elements to be readily available but it'll appear in due time. I've yet to get the SMW theme and am looking forward to that as that was my very first Mario game and I have a lot of fond memories. I also kinda wish the 'Costumed' mushroom works outside of the 8-Bit mode… maybe it will down the track or even special themed item sets for the 30th anniversary of Zelda and Metroid next year… anything is possible.

3. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I've finally unlocked everything! Instead of placing one block and dragging it up or down or across, I found that making a huge wall of blocks then multi-grabbing them and copying them to a different spot on the map made the delivery trucks appear faster.

Now that I have the full palette, I'm tempted to go back and add elements to my old stages, delete the old ones and upload the new ones. I can't wait to make my first level that has sub-levels.

My only compliant - the cape/raccoon tail flying mechanical feels off, like the screen scrolls funny/faster compared to the original versions of the game. Anyone else know what I mean?

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Maybe it has something to do with the widescreen graphics?

And, yeah, I'm refraining from revising my first level until I have everything unlocked. I'm going to upload my second level in a bit in the meantime.

EDIT- And it's uploaded! You can now access my second level (EDIT- now revised), "Block Blockers", via code BAB3-0000-00D6-81A3

This one took awhile and I think you'll see why once you play it. It's much easier than my first level- but it's also more complex and very much more of a playground maze level. I'm very pleased with how it turned out- and I don't think there's much I would change even if I had the full palette of materials available.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  5. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Tricky Tetris
    77DF-0000-0051-B18C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Here's all 7 of my levels, including the one mentioned above already:

First Course:
    82EC-0000-0018-9D27

Let's Swim:
    7D13-0000-001B-FA40

Bullet Bounce:
    7F7F-0000-0026-5CB3

Double Trouble:
    F838-0000-002F-87C5

DANIELLE<3:
    C603-0000-0030-5953

Knock on Heaven's Door:
    C17A-0000-003A-4C8F

Tricky Tetris:
    77DF-0000-0051-B18C

I also posted them on my blog
    http://3tnewsreviews.blogspot.com/2015/09/super-mario-maker-wii-u-course-ids.html

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    First Course: I like the branching paths. Top path certainly inspires a "retreat!". Top piranha plant is easy to miss though depending on timing- I didn't even see it until I was already past it.

Let's Swim: Cute experiment with the spiny helmet. Might be interesting to expand this idea with additional paths above the top row of spikes since you can swim above them without touching the flagpole. Maybe do something similar to your first level and block it off so that if you want to get to the top of the flagpole you'd have to use the upper maze but can opt out for a low pole position without doing so.

Bullet Bounce: Pretty straight forward. I like part after the blocks where you gotta avoid killing the Bullet Bills in order to use them to clear the spike balls. If you expand on this one, having at least one multi-Bill "stair case jump" obstacle might make for a solid finale. Maybe throw a coin block or 1-up into one of those bricks too because if people are like me, they're gonna tear up those bricks first before proceeding hehe.

Double Trouble: Hey, I didn't realize you could swap out Lakitu's payload! Cool! I like how you setup a fire vs fire Bowser battle. Rest of the level isn't too bad either- not sure if it was intentional but using the Buzzy shells on the note locks to kill the troopas on the rebound was well timed (or maybe I just got luck, ha).

DANIELLE<3: How the hell does this barely have more than a 50% clear rate? lol

Knock on Heaven's Door: An I missing the way to access the top row of P-switch converted coins?

Tricky Tetris: Neat idea.

And the two you haven't posted codes for yet:

Buzzsaw Business: Cool level but very easy to miss out on the sub level (which is cool). Maybe add a winding path to the vine block that allows your range of sight to see the pipe (you could extend the pipe into the ground so the base is visible)? Not sure if buzz saws on paths behave this way but if you can make them permeate the winding path to the vibe block in the process it would further integrate the two.

Enjoy the Ride: Some good obstacles, though it was a little unclear towards the middle if I was meant to stay on the top platform or transfer to the lower one.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  8. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    First Course: I didn't try too hard to manipulate that final piranha plant to be seen, other than it to be a possible troll if the player didn't move fast enough to the goal.

Let's Swim - Thanks, it was a very early level where I had a limited palate and it could probably use a simple retool or maybe a more complex one. Since I'm at my max # of uploads at the moment, I definitely think I'll retool what I have already uploaded instead of start of scratch. My concern is if I delete a level, will I lose the stars earned?

Bullet Bounce: I was worried that it was TOO hard, and I just wanted to do something straightforward. Maybe I'll spice it up a bit.

Double Trouble: Yes, the Buzzy Beatle part was intential and I'm glad you figured out to use the tools available to clear your path ahead. :)

Danielle<3: Yeah, I don't get it. It's probably the easiest level I've ever made.

Knock on Heaven's Door: There's a hidden block that may be able to help you find the path you're looking for...

Thanks for all the feedback! I posted "enjoy the ride" and "cant touch this" last night. You probably didn't play the latter one yet. Both levels play themselves if you don't touch anything. Maybe I should make that more clear in the title?

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If Enjoy the Ride is meant to be a don't-do-anything level I'm not sure it works 100% then as that's what I did my first couple trys and I died after bouncing Yoshi up. I'll give it another pass later and see if maybe I just screwed up and hit something by accident.

I don't know the answer to the stars question since I haven't filled mine up yet it deleted any ones yet. Still early on in my next level development but it's an idea I've been looking forward to making once I had sub level access.

10. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah, try it again, and don't touch anything from the start. Even the slightest movement or button push will throw off the timing.

I'm really tempted to try and find a 30th anniversary Mario amiibo (for a reasonable price) so I can make levels with the giant mushroom. I unlocked all the 10-Mario courses, which unlocked the NWC levels, and unlocked the thin mushroom which you get when you beat all the NWC levels.

I wish there was more an incentive to play the 100 Mario Normal or Expert modes, like you'd unlock 2 and 3 amiibo skins instead of 1. I just run through Easy, get a skin, and call it a day.

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I think I'm going to have to get this.

I'm far from a huge Mario fan, but the level design aspect sounds like it's been done far better than Little Big Planet, which I didn't get on with at all.

12. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
  13. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll check those out soon. In the meantime I finally uploaded my third course, "Noki Bay 1", adapting portions of the Sunshine level of the same name:

EDIT- I've revised the course to better balance the difficulty, new code:

Course ID B3FD-0000-00D6-84F1

[​IMG]

EDIT- I like the two paths in Let's Swim, but I'd suggest angling the spikes near the flagpole so people who take the lower path can't get to the top of the pole- force them to backtrack if they want a high score/1-up as an incentive to take the upper path.

Depending on how challenging you want to make it, you could swap out the star-dispensing pipe for a single ? Block w/ a star in it so there isn't unlimited invincibility and up some pressure on the player to keep moving before it wears off.

Shooting Fish- I like the idea of combining a p-switch maze with a blooper shoot em up.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  15. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    November 4th:

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh... That does change things a lot.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's fantastic- my mega levels REALLY needed those check points. Maybe one of my levels will get past a 5% completion rate now! lol!

The stacked power up is great too- I won't have to put as many power ups in places now.

18. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000

....I really need to get a Wii U.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's brilliant.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    My fourth level is now uploaded, "Fatal Factory". CID 6CCB-0000-00D5-191B.

[​IMG]

First time using SMB3 or Ghost House theme. I think this one is easier than my others. Still has a couple tricky parts and, of course, opportunities to explore.

EDIT- The update is now out and Ive revised my first 3 levels with much-needed checkpoints (and some minor tweaks to Goomba Gauntlet).

I've edited my previous posts with the new codes (as I've deleted the old ones). Fatal Factory remains unchanged because I don't think it needs a checkpoint.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Happy Halloween, all! Enjoy this level I whipped up for today: The Crypt of the Apparition Swarm.

Course ID: 5D95-0000-036B-C471

[​IMG]

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Angry Sun! :)

Lotta fun new pieces there- plus story mode and 4 player co-op. I was kinda hoping they'd mention whether you could import/download MM1 levels or not, but I suppose that could still be announced/added.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  23. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    I sometimes think the angry sun is real...at least when it comes to Florida summers. :p

The2ndQuest likes this.
  24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    If it were truly simulating Floridian summers, the Angry Sun would switch to an Angry Rain Cloud instead of a moon ;).

PCCViking likes this.
  25. PCCViking

PCCViking 6x Wacky Wednesday Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Jun 12, 2014
    Except that the angry rain cloud would only last for about a second before returning to the angry sun. :p