main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thank you, George.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Santos, Apr 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Santos

Darth_Santos Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 9, 2004
    What do you think when you hear "Star Wars"? Many people think of different things. As for me, Star Wars has TRULY inspired me. To let you know, I was born in 1989, so I can't really say that I am as knowledgeable about this great saga as my predecessors. But I can say that I am just as passionate about it as they are, or were. What did Star Wars do for many countries? It brought them out of a silent depression. George Lucas may have realized it, as well as many other people, that the world lacked an example as to how to make a decision. Unfortunately, many young men and women fell to the Dark Side, as one would say. They thought, "What is my purpose in life?" Many of them did not find an answer and made the wrong choices. My older brother is one of those people. He is the first son and appeared to be flawless. There was nothing that he could not do well. But the Dark Side lured him, just as it did to Anakin. Consumed, he knew there was no turning back. My brother spent 8 years of his life getting drunk, hanging out at inappropriate bars, and having drug overdoses. As if he was the Chosen One, he surived these malices for 8 years. He is in his late twenties and still living with my parents and I. The turn-around he has made has been incredible, though the Dark Side in him still dwells. But how did he manage such a comeback? He didn't. Star Wars helped him. For the past year and a half, all my brother has watched are Episodes 1, 2, 4, 5, and 6 nonstop. He watches every single movie every single day. He thought he could no longer rid himself of the darkness in him, but then he saw Vader do it. My brother is aware that the journey will be hard for him, and that some darkness will always occupy him, but he, my family, and I all believe that with alot of effort he will achieve his original state. He says he will never thank any religious entity or anyone else except Star Wars and its creator for the rebirth he has experienced this past year and a half. So for all the fans out there that have made this possible, Thank You. And above all, thank you George, for you have really shown my brother and I the right path, the path that Luke walked.

2. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    Not only a great post but the first one I've EVER read in this ENTIRE board in the 5 years I've been here that touches on the reasons why *I* love Star Wars.

Star Wars was never about special effects or swordfights or romance or cool or hipness. In fact as much as I LOVE "Star Wars" I'm don't class them the best movies I've ever seen.

But what I love more about "Star Wars" than anything else I've ever seen in my life is its humanity and its spirituality.

The movie encapsulates every belief that I have about life, the universe, the inner-self and about human nature and for that I think Lucas deserves my thanks not only now but for the future.

And that's also pretty much why I still love "Star Wars" as a saga and its prequels because for whatever disappointments it may hold in the other departments...it STILL triumphs in the things that matter the most to me. And I've not encountered a single critical post on this forum that challenges that. The prequels uphold the classic trilogy's commentary on humanity and the saga, as a whole, is a beautiful arc of triumph, defeat and redemption.

The fact that Anakin's character can speak to people so much - especially without seeing the tragic events of Episode III (and believe me it's pretty darn tragic) - is testament to the quality that Lucas has put into the story. And that is where I think Lucas's own passion in SW lies - in its subtext.

So yeah I tip my hat as well. Thanks man.

3. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
  4. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    I have to agree NZPoe. That is one of the things I love about Star Wars. I also am very glad to here that your brother "killed the Emperor" as it were.

5. BarbarianKing

BarbarianKing Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2005
    I love the hell out of these pictures. I always have and I always will. I love what they say about love, life, friendship, betrayal, etc. But more than that, they are enthralling pieces of cinema.

6. MissPadme

MissPadme Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    Wow, that is one amazing story.

--MissPadme

7. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    I'm with you man!

I think Starwars is one of the greatest examples of spirituality/humanity today. It can really help you on your path if youre openminded towards it, like your brother. Amen to that!

And about the whole depression thing you mentioned and how SW helped people out: I believe that too. The post- modern era is a time of relativsm (sp?). Nothing holds true anymore. This made made people sad and depressed in their hearts, because humans, I believe want to believe. And then came StarWars.
    If you take the moment of the binarry sunset when Luke watches the suns set, this is exactly like a Romantic (era)Painting, only stronger because of the music, the Theme of the Force. It surrenders youre ego so badly..-this little scene gives me and a LOT of people a sense of respect and wonder for the greater Mystery out there as Lucas calls it. ;)

8. kainangmar

kainangmar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2005
    Definitely. Vader's redemption gets me every time.

9. DARTHMORDOR

DARTHMORDOR Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2003
    i can agree we all walk that path at some point. and it is possable to trun back and give it another go. the poor choices we make are always with us but they do not define us.

these movies help people through difficult times.

10. Rogan_Agar

Rogan_Agar Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2004
    I can only join your thanks.

And thank you for this very touching story.

I hope your brother does well. :)

11. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003

That was an awesome story. The Star Wars movies are the only movies/tv shows that have ever truly touched me and made me think about the meaning of life and the power of the "dark side"

12. Luke_Landwalker

Luke_Landwalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2005
    You say Star wars.
    I say nothing, but I think about something special.
    Cant put it in words.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.