main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thanks Bush!

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Padme Bra, Jul 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

//realizes that liberals must not have a concept that the tax refund I'm receiving is my money

//is beginning to understand that principles seem to be a foreign concept to some liberals

//guesses that Sith Vicious just likes to call Bush a monkey because he's incapable of debating the merits of fiscal poilcy

AYBABTU

2. Sith Vicious

Sith Vicious Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 1999

Whatever. Label us all. I've got one for you, too.

btw, this thread was meant as a joke, as Padme Bra pointed out, not a forum to debate fiscal policy, as if anyone here is capable of that.

Why won't you answer the serious questions I asked? Instead, you label me and those who disagree with you as being without principle, all the while mocking my argument on the grounds that I labelled Bush a monkey.

3. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Actually, I didn't really mean all liberals. I just meant you.

EDIT -- That was too harsh. I just don't understand why some people don't seem to understand that the money comes from a surplus. We overpaid the feds for services, and they owe us change back. What's so difficult to understand?

AYBABTU

4. ktwsolo

ktwsolo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2001
    Darth_AYBABTU: The government needs the taxes to provide services for us. I don't understand why everyone (especially Republicans) are always whining about them. We have a government to provide for us, but we have to provide the funds.

5. ktwsolo

ktwsolo Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2001
    double

6. darthmomm

darthmomm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2001
    Being relativley new to the who politics issues...I fail to understand the whole idea of a surplus...I mean..we do have a debt to pay dont we? So I fail to see how we have any extra money??

Could someone honestly explain that to me?? I really do not understand.

I guess this is the first time I am not in agreement with Bush's policies...perhaps it is because I do not understand it.

7. Lord Mauly Mall

Lord Mauly Mall TFN/JC Banner Artist Team star 7 VIP

Oct 21, 1999
    I'm thankful for bush, too.

8. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

"We have a government to provide for us, but we have to provide the funds."

They are providing those services, many more than they're Constitutionally obligated to provide. Federal spending is increasing, despite this tax cut. Never mind how much federal spending is a waste.

"I mean..we do have a debt to pay dont we? So I fail to see how we have any extra money??"

The tax cut is only 25% of the surplus. The regular budget provides for debt payment. Under the 10-year plan proposed by Bush, all the debt that can be paid is paid by 2011. The part that's left is long-term debt that can't be paid early without a penalty.

As for whether or not I feel happier that I've got the money rather than the government -- you're darn tootin' I'm happier! If I want to donate that $300 to a local charity, I assure you all that the money will be more wisely spent than if the feds funnel the cash into one of their "charities". Government is plenty big enough. They don't have a Constitutional mandate to do half the stuff they do now, and people don't need to become any more dependent on the government than they are already.

As for my statement on "principles," this tax cut is based on a principle -- my money is my money. I paid plenty of taxes. Plenty. The US government ended up with more than five trillion dollars of extra money. We overpaid. They owe us our change back. Those responsible for this tax cut understand that principle. Those that oppose it seem to not understand. Think of it this way: the government is reinvesting in those that grant them power in the first place -- the people. Even then, we're only getting back about 25% of the surplus. This $300 is just a tiny portion of the total plan.

My ire is not directed toward you, Sith Viscious, but the notion that I am somehow wrong for happily accepting my change back. I do not understand how many think that some moral catastrophe is taking place simply because people are getting a tax cut. This isn't the first time it's happenned in this country. But it is the first time it's come from a surplus this huge.

An additional note -- In the past, people were considered heroes for protesting out-of-control taxation. Anyone ever hear of the Boston Tea Party?

AYBABTU

9. BobTheGoon

BobTheGoon Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 21, 2000
    But Bush is a monkey, see?

[image=http://www.geocities.com/bobtgoon/photo_query.jpg]

10. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    What AYBABTU said. It's my $$$, and I want it back. Plain and simple. I can use it a whole lot better than they can.

11. Dev Sibwarra

Dev Sibwarra Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 1999
    PB, I wont be getting a slice at this time. I'm a dependent on my parents tax return. Maybe sometime later if there is enough cash left in this American Pie I might be getting a little slice.

Last I heard, Bush was doubling the dependancy credit. Thanks to you, your parents get $500. This extra income that you brought in to the family would be a good thing to mention when asking for an increase in allowance. If they refuse, threaten to become an illegal immigrant. :)

12. Sith Vicious

Sith Vicious Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 8, 1999

lol. BobTheGoon presented incontrovertible evidence.

13. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    I love digging threads out of the trash!

14. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I may be stereotyping, but I have yet to see a liberal who makes any sense, :p. If I payed taxes, I'd be even happier with Bush. :).

15. Ariana Lang

Ariana Lang Jedi Youngling star 5

Oct 10, 1999
    What Bush is doing is known as the "trickle down effect." I don't think it's ever worked to stimulate the economy since invented during the depression. Don't get me wrong, I like Bush, but this method just doesn't work.

16. FutureEmperor

FutureEmperor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 15, 1998
    Ariana.

It did, it's called the 80s and the resultant tech boom of the 90s. If nothing else, the tax cuts of the 80s resulted in record tax inflows. Taxes HURt the economy, they do not help. IF people have more of their own money they save and spend and invest. I'm being very basic here, but that's beneficial.

More to the point, it's MY money. Funny how propaganda works so well that now we question whether or not we deserve the money we earned.

17. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
    I'm not talking about tax cuts, I'm talking about giving money back to the people at the top and assuming that their spending will therefore "trickle down" and make money for those lower on economic wealth poll.

It was tried during the great depression and failed miserably. It was tried right before 9/11 and failed miserably.

18. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

Actually, this isn't pure trickle-down. Everyone who paid taxes got the same refund, and everyone who paid taxes got a rate reduction.

Regardlss of any trickle down effect the tax cut may have, it's just terrible economic policy to carry a surplus ever, and especially so during a recession.

And not that you'll hear about it on tv, but a bi-partisan Congressional budget committee is projecting a 1.7-1.9 trillion dollar surplus in the years 2002-2011, despite all this silly talk of deficits.

Oh yeah, and trickle down does work. Federal tax revenues doubled after Reagan's tax cuts.

AYBABTU?

19. Ariana Lang

Oct 10, 1999
    Ok, I'll say it one more time -- I'm not talking about tax cuts! I'm talking about trickle down! Tax cuts = sometimes works; trickle down = never seen it work

20. Darth_AYBABTU

Mar 8, 2001

I think we may have our wires crossed here. Isn't trickle down a tax cut? Isn't a tax cut proven to work?

I'm a fan of yours Ariana, so I'm not just being difficult for the sake of being diificult.

AYBABTU?

21. Emuboy

Emuboy Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 7, 1999
    Except that it's not really a tax cut, its putting off the money you'll eventually pay anyways.

DECEPTION AT WORK, GENTLEMEN.

22. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Thanks to Bush for providing hours of classic comedy! :)

23. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Thank you Dubya for teaching me to not underestimate the power of a pretzel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.