main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thanks for comin' after me. Now I owe you one.

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by gra-co_o_hun, Feb 23, 2013.

1. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    I didn't want to miss the opportunity to THANK YOU all for sending me some much needed support from My 2nd Family. :)

I received your warm wishes in the mail today and it brought good vibes for sure. :cool:

I have been somewhat forth coming with a few of the Members of the Group but I wanted to let you know what has been happening here with My NEW situation...

First, it's weird to be back here in California after being gone so long. The first few weeks were the usual thing anyone moving would expect... unpacking, learning the area, finding a job. etc. etc.
    Finding a job was the biggest hurdle at first, especially wanting to find a related job in my field which I figured might be harder to do out here and though the job I did find is all well and good and it is teaching me some things about production that I didn't know, I really want to be designing again for a company. I do freelance on the side but not nearly enough to make it lucrative.
    Not long after we arrived here, My Mom starting showing signs that she was starting to have more troubling health concerns and after several tests and even more tests, we learned that her body has been slowly breaking down but all over and her bouts with falling were becoming more frequent and then last August she fell in the bathroom and broke and dislocated her ankle in the same shot. I have repeatedly asked her to wake my every time she needed to go and put baby monitors in our rooms so I could always hear her as I am a light sleeper but she's Irish and Stubborn and decided not to wake me this particular morning and hence, her injury.
    I took her to emergency and they admitted her and did surgery the same day and a few days later she went to a rehab facility. Since that time in a few short months her health has declined and she never got better. Her ability to walk has fallen off and she is bed-ridden most of the time. She is located very close to my apt so I see her every day but it has taken quite a toll on Me watching her become marginalized more and more all the time. I am still very attentive to her but she now has 24 hour care in a way that she requires. She will be 84 next friday and I know she feels like she has lost much and is depressed often. It's hard to watch our parents reach their limits in this manner.

I will not droll on but as you are My Friends, I wanted to share a little and explain why I have been MIA as it were, with Mom secure at this point, I feel some relief knowing that she is safe and cared for. I can focus a little better on other portions of my life that I have left on the wayside. It will be odd not attending Starfest for the first time in 15 years but I will return at some point...

again, all my thanks and Wookie Hugs for everyone. I miss you all so very, very much. ^:)^[face_love][face_monkey]

nnaydolem likes this.
  2. catz44

catz44 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    So sorry about your moms health, if there is anything we can do please let us know. Just know we are here for you and we will keep you and your family in our thoughts.

nnaydolem and gra-co_o_hun like this.
  3. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    What Catz said, and double hugs for all

nnaydolem, Obey Wann and gra-co_o_hun like this.
  4. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    Just knowing You All care is enough Courtney. Thank You My Dear.[face_love]

catz44 likes this.
  5. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    My post from last night seems to have gotten eaten. Basically: [:D]

gra-co_o_hun likes this.
  6. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008
    Sorry to hear about your mom, dude. You're a great son to her and do everything you can. I'm sure she appreciates and we all hold you in such high esteem in your taking care of her.
    Your 2nd family will always be here for ya! Big Wookiee hugs right back atcha!
    MTFBWY

catz44 and gra-co_o_hun like this.
  7. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Silly Pooh, you should always know you can lean on us if need be. You've gone above and beyond what most sons would have even thought of, I know how hard it is to watch someone you love decline in health. I know she appreciates everything you're doing, so keep that in mind. Hang in there and hope every thing else is running smooth for you as well.

If not SF there's always DCC?????

nnaydolem, catz44 and gra-co_o_hun like this.
  8. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    all of the above!!!

9. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    Being a caregiver to an aging ailing parent is probably the hardest job in the world. I had to be one for both my parents. Just know you can cry, and please take care of yourself, too. You need a little time away for the things you love to do. I'm glad to hear your mom has 24 hour care now. We're still here for you. Please, if you can, DCC end of May (if only just for a weekend getaway). *HUGS*

gra-co_o_hun likes this.
  10. Jomama

Jomama Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 3, 2009
    Wish I could say I know what you're going through but I don't. I do know you've gone above and beyond the call of duty for your mom and she can't help but see that like the rest of us have. I hope she gets through this quickly and I'm sure the 24 hour care wont be keeping you away but hopefully it's taking a lot of the stress off of you. Starfest is going to be a little less cool without THE DUDE around but we all hope you can come visit soon..

gra-co_o_hun likes this.
  11. Taeriel

Taeriel Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 9, 2003
    I'm so sorry to hear this... watching a parent decline in health is a terrible experience. :( [:D]

I'll be down in San Diego in July for comic con... if you are free, let's get together for dinner while I'm there. It would be nice to see you!

gra-co_o_hun likes this.
  12. FanForced

FanForced Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2007
    More hugs and well wishes going to you and your family. We're here for you.

gra-co_o_hun likes this.