main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Thanks, you lovable a-holes

Discussion in 'Community' started by Boba Nekhbet, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    If that faulty Snowboard software is to be believed, I joined the JC on January 31, 2000.

Okay, so the thing after fifteen years, which is now just about half my lifetime is, there’s no way to do a namedrop thread justice. I wrote a pretty big thread several years ago for one of my anniversaries, and I spent about a month brainstorming the post and writing a draft in MS Word and making sure I didn’t forget any person or group of people, but that’s really essentially impossible to do this time because so many of you have been so important to who I am and have become over the last decade and a half. Even some of the people I have differed with or wronged have been monumentally important to me. And anyway, I can only namedrop ten people in a post anymore and how could I possibly stop there.

Here’s a really sappy anecdote: one time several years ago, I was traveling abroad and really homesick for my home and family and friends, and I couldn’t call because of time zones, and I didn’t really have anywhere to go other than this kind of shady hostel dorm I was staying in. I wandered around and found an internet cafe expecting to maybe send some emails to family, but it turned out that just typing in boards.theforce.net, and logging in and seeing familiar threads and familiar screen names and being in the space we have here felt enough like home to help me out. I guess that might not make much sense, to think of the dusty back corner of a Star Wars fansite as “home” in any way, but that’s kind of what it has been for me when I needed it to over the years. The same way any condo or villa or vacation rental where 3 or 10 or 20 JCers are living becomes a home for that brief period of time.

Anyway, this isn’t going to be as moving or funny or inventive or life-changing or even as interesting as a whole lot of anniversary threads I can think of off the top of my head, but, and I know this is silly, but this feels like a significant day for me, so I wanted to post something to commemorate it and thank you guys and just take a moment to be grateful for this community we’ve got going. So, thanks.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    tl, dr

yankee8255, Debo and Boba Nekhbet like this.
  3. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Thank you. Thank YOU.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  4. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Makes a lot of sense Dani [:D]

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Best anniversary thread title EVER.

Ghost and Boba Nekhbet like this.
  6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Love you, Dani! [:D]

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  7. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    cool. i'm glad you've been posting more lately so i get the chance to get to know you too.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  8. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    In two years, you'll be on to your fourth US president, and that's with double eight year terms. Well done. Also, I get it for sure. Thanks for being here all this time.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  9. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    **** off.

beezel26 and Boba Nekhbet like this.
  10. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    Me too! I didn't really feel like I ever left, but when everyone was talking about how cool Maia was and I didn't know you, I was like "TIME TO COME BACK."

Whoa, I didn't really think about the fact that Clinton was still President when I registered. Nuts!

EmpireForever, Healer_Leona, anakinfansince1983, harpua [:D]

jp-30 and Diggy, thanks for putting the a**hole in "lovable a***hole"

yankee8255, jp-30, harpua and 4 others like this.
  11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    Much love, Danisssssss

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    So true! [face_love]

Happy board Anniversary! [:D]

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  13. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Congrats Dani, I hope we can get to meet one day.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    You've clearly only been here a couple of months. Don't act like you know us.

yankee8255 and Boba Nekhbet like this.
  15. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    My A-hole loves you too.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  16. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  17. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    I came in here for beer and I got a sappy thread. Worst thread evah.

Congratulations on your fifteen year anniversary though.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    aw, Dani! <3

I'm very glad that we're friends and enjoy hanging out with you, whether it's at a Celebration or just hanging out at a museum. And you've certainly made a difference in my life and way of seeing the world -- I appreciate your sense of humor and your ability to get people to really think. Wish you were going to the con this time, but I know that we'll hang out again sometime anyhow.

Next time you feel down or homesick, just think about the wonderful and life-affirming art of cake frosting and all will be well.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I really like that my and Cathy's wedding has officially been labeled as a "Celebration".

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Thank you for staging a fake kiss the first time we met to horrify your sister into a "Stop hitting on my baby sister!!! :mad:" while hanging with the big city crowd!

We'll miss you in April; HaremVilla 4eva!

21. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Hello I'm new here. I don't believe we've had the pleasure of you reprimanding me yet?

22. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    There are no insignificant threads. Every single thread builds and binds together the vast and intricate tapestry that is the...oh **** it.

Congrats!

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    That's all well & good, Dani, but what did you have for lunch today? :p

Seriously though, a wonderful summation of your time here/what this place means to you. Many thanks for adding a great presence throughout the years.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  24. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    Dani, I fondly recall our meeting in Amsterdam nearly ten years ago. I regularly pass the cafés where we hung out, and that little odd sci-fi shop, and always have to think of you. I hope we can meet again somewhere within the next 15 years...

Boba Nekhbet likes this.
  25. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    [face_plain]

Though at least you did get around to namedropping people in subsequent posts. Good job.

We are happy for your return and presence, Nekhbet.

Boba Nekhbet likes this.