main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

That already existing E3 shot

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by Obi-Ewan, Apr 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
    I really feel spoiled after that.

Don't be, I just made it all up. And if what pirhana JEDI and Vaderbait said is true, it's irrelevant anyway.

2. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    Does anyone feel a new major continuity problem developed from AotC.

1) The Lars were in the movie for a few minutes at most. They didn't even establish a relationship with Anakin nor Padme.

2) Obi wan never met them.

3) they only filmed a small piece of Tatooine for EIII.

Which leads to this.

What would motivate OB1 to even bring Luke to Tatooine? it seems like Obi knows quite a few people in the galaxy. So his first choice is to take him to complete strangers?

Am I missing something here? Doesn't some kind of relationship have to set up why luke is adopted by the Lars'?

3. Jabachile

Jabachile Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 16, 2001
    The rest of it could be shot on a sound stage.

4. yodaschum

yodaschum Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2002
    i like the escape pod theory.

5. Wingless

Wingless Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 28, 2002
    Don't worry Madmardigan, there has to be more of Owen, Beru and Tatooine in EPIII. There are some lines from ANH that haven't been explained yet:

"LUKE: No, my father didn't fight in the wars. He was a navigator on a
    spice freighter.

BEN: That's what your uncle told you. He didn't hold with your father's ideals. Thought he should have stayed here and not gotten involved."

And

Ben: I have something here for you. Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damned-fool idealistic crusade like your father did.

There was nothing about this in AOTC. There was no crusade. Anakin and Padme left tatooine to rescue Obi-Wan not for any ideology. Also, Owen never tried to stop them. I'm sure that George wouldn't have forgotten about these things. We have to see more of Tatooine in EPIII than just one shot. Maybe Anakin is living with the Lars on Tatooine and Obi-Wan comes to get him or something.

6. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Actually, Anakin delivering Luke fits in and really helps develop his character as a redeemable guy.

It explains how he knows about Luke but not Leia. It explains how someone knew to go to Owen.

Problems?

From AOTC Anakin seems not to like the Lars much. :p Also, I don't think Padme or Yoda or Obi-Wan would trust a newly fallen Jedi to take a Force-strong baby into hiding to be trained as a Jedi. :p

7. Force_Wielder

Force_Wielder Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I like the Anakin and Padme living on Tatooine theory. In AOTC, Padme doesn't want to get involved with Anakin because of who they are. But if you saw the film, you know what happens at the end. I think they eventually have to give up their respective titles, Senator and Jedi and they move to Tatooine to live with the only "family" that is shown in the movies: The Lars'. Obi-wan returns to Tatooine and convinces Anakin to once again join him in some sort of fight against evil and so on and so forth. Just a theory. Maybe all that will happen between Episode 2 and 3 or not at all...only Lucas knows for sure, and I don't think he has it all figured out yet either.

8. Rilina

Rilina Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2000
    I think that anything Ben says to Luke in their first meeting is a little suspect. It's probably all only true "from a certain point of view."

As for that already existing Ep. III shot, other people have also already noted that the endings of TPM and AOTC correlate with the endings of ANH and ESB. (As in AOTC: Anakin and Padme with Threepio and Artoo; ESB: Luke and Leia with Threepio and Artoo). The special edition ROTJ has that montage of celebration scenes on different world--what if Ep. III ends with a similar but more depressing montage of the planets from the PT? A shot of Tatooine would be fitting in that--and just the sort of thing Lucas might want to capture in advance.

9. Ardens_Furore

Ardens_Furore Jedi Padawan star 4

May 14, 2001
    Maybe it was Padme who sent Luke to Tatooine. Then Obi-Wan goes to live there to watch over Luke. Except Owen, having heard of Obi-Wan in AOTC, will stay away from him. This is because after R2 delivered a message from Obi-Wan, Anakin leaves and presumably the next time he comes back, he's messed up. So from that, Owen thinks of Obi-Wan as bad news.

The Anakin theory has a small problem to it, and that is why didn't Vader come and take Luke away in ANH? If he always planned on turning Luke, why not just turn him when he was old enough (i.e. ANH). He could have then avoided any training by Yoda and would succesfully be able to train Luke in the dark side fully.

10. Wingless

Mar 28, 2002
    Rilina: I think that anything Ben says to Luke in their first meeting is a little suspect. It's probably all only true "from a certain point of view."

I really don't think that Obi-Wan was just lying his face off the whole time he talked to Luke. It makes a certain kind of sense to lie about Luke's father being Darth Vader, but there would be no reason to lie about the rest of it. The only other thing he would lie about is Anakin wanting Luke to have his lightsaber.

Besides, there's no way George can pull 'a certain point of view' again, and certainly not for a whole scene of dialogue.

Ardens_Furore: The Anakin theory has a small problem to it, and that is why didn't Vader come and take Luke away in ANH?

There's also the theory that Anakin wanted his son to be protected from everything and not go through what he went through. That would explain why he doesn't go after Luke.

11. Rilina

Rilina Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2000
    Wingless: I didn't mean to suggest that we outright dismiss everything Ben says in that conversation. I just think it needs to be taken with a grain of salt--his words only need to be somewhat true, not flat-out true.

12. Wingless

Mar 28, 2002
    Oh, to be sure Rilina. He's a tricky one that Ben Kenobi. You can never trust a word he says. Kind of like George Lucas really. ;)

But I still think that the 'idealistic crusade' has to be explained. I don't think that the battle of Geonosis is a good enough explanation for that, even with the 'certain point of view' stretch.

13. Jabachile

Sep 16, 2001
    There was nothing about this in AOTC. There was no crusade.

Shmi? No, that's not idealistic. Maybe it's Anakin's belief to slay all the Jedi, or free the slaves.

14. Wingless

Mar 28, 2002
    Remember Jabachile that Anakin follows Obi-Wan on a crusade. Not that he just goes on one himself. Somehow I don't think that Obi-Wan would be interested in slaying Jedi or freeing slaves.

15. darthsmack

darthsmack Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2002
    i think its is were obi goes into hiding after he drops of luke at the lar's that is the only thing that makes sense to me

16. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    I also think that Obi gives Luke to Owen and Beru, and what Lucas filmed was an Obi Wan stand in walking toward the homestead. Padme could have told Obi about where to find them.

My question about the Anikin delivery theory is this: if Anikin is dropping off Luke, why doesn't he know about Leia?

Also, there's a rumor about that some scenes were shot in Italy as well, but I don't have anything to back that up, other than some photos of costumes that never appeared in the movie.

17. Bresson

Bresson Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2002
    I might be wrong about this, but didn't Lucas say that he shot the FINAL shot of EP 3 already? Maybe I remember his quote wrong.

Anyway, my guess is that the shot is of Obi (body double) standing with his back to camera, desert wind blowing his now ragged robe, approaching the Lars homestead with the infant Luke cradled like the Christ child in his arms. Cue John Williams's greatest theme yet for STAR WARS. How does Obi know about Own and Beru? He was told by Padme on her deathbed.

Not a spoiler. That's just my guess.

18. Bresson

May 16, 2002
    I might be wrong about this, but didn't Lucas say that he shot the FINAL shot of EP 3 already? Maybe I remember his quote wrong.

Anyway, my guess is that the shot is of Obi (body double) standing with his back to camera, desert wind blowing his now ragged robe, approaching the Lars homestead with the infant Luke cradled like the Christ child in his arms. Cue John Williams's greatest theme yet for STAR WARS. How does Obi know about Own and Beru? He was told by Padme on her deathbed.

19. Bresson

May 16, 2002

20. Jabachile

Sep 16, 2001
    Somehow I don't think that Obi-Wan would be interested in slaying Jedi or freeing slaves.

That's what YOU think! ;)

I don't think GL has shot the final shot, but he has told his concept artists as well as John Williams what it will be and what the final line is. He has known this since pre-production of TPM, supposedly.

21. Scruff

Scruff Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 1999
    From what I understand, a stand-in for Ewan was holding something wrapped up in cloth and walking toward the Lars homestead. That can be interpretted no other way logically, except Obi-wan taking baby Luke to the Lars. How he learns of them and why he does that willbe revealed in Ep 3, there was no reason to establish it in Ep2, just to set up those characters.

Anakin and Padme will not live on Tatooine. Anakin HATES sand. After his mother died, he would have no reason to ever go back. Furthermore, Anakin would not take Luke to Owen because he never knew he had a son. Anakin never knew Padme was pregnant according to Lucas himself. (unless he changes his mind again)

Don't feel spoiled about Padme's death in Ep III because it probably won't happen. It CAN'T happen without contradicting the film version of ROTJ.

22. Burgess

Burgess Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2002
    Well, I've heard that (and please don't read if you think this is a spoiler, or take this off if i am breaking any rules)****

I heard from a "reliable source" (I know, I know, you've heard this before, and I probably made it up and have no source, but all i can say is it's reliable, don't believe me if that makes you feel better!) that the final shot does indeed feature ewan. There is no dialouge. It shows a worn and battered obi-wan approaching the lars homestead, and simply handing over luke.

now, i assume, padme tells obi-wan of the kind and trust worthy owen lars. i didn't know the scene was the last scene, but it does make sense.

23. MasterJedi-Mackey

MasterJedi-Mackey Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 7, 2002
    Well, we know that Obi-Wan takes Luke and hides him on Tatooine. To do that, we really don't need to see the planet (aka, Lando and Chewie describing Jabba's palace at the close of TESB).

More than likely an under-related shot.

24. Jabachile

Sep 16, 2001
    When did Lando "describe" Jabba's palace? I thought he just mentioned it...

25. Darth_Lando

Darth_Lando Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2002

You did remember it wrong...now I don't remember where I heard this, it might have been countingdown.com, but I seem to remember Lucas saying this shot was at the end of the film...but was not THE end of the film. I need to go check that quote, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.