main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST That final shot

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Bigger Fish, Dec 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Luke looked like "The last time I held that saber *looks at mechanical right hand*. I don't think he takes it. I can hear him tell Rey. "It called to you. Plus, I've got this real cool green one."

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  2. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999

Yes, agreed. Also, maybe it is me just wanting to believe it is father and daughter reuniting there.

But aside from all of the other clues, there is one main thing that makes me look at it and it seems obvious.

The fact that one of the main story points about Rey is that she is waiting for her family to come and get her on Jakku. She has been waiting all of that time with no luck (and based on certain things said in the movie, doesn't appear that it is going to happen anytime soon), as if whomever is her parent has disappeared or vanished. Meanwhile the main plot of the movie is that Luke Skywalker has vanished himself and no one knows where he is, and the movie is essentially a quest to find him.

Of course at the end, she goes and finds him.

Coincidence?

3. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    I don't like how it ended with the rotating helicopter shot. All of the previous six movies had static wide shots to end the movie. Between the type of shot and the location felt too much like lord of the rings.

4. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    The Jedi Steps, which flourishes with the Force Theme.

Trikuza23 likes this.
  5. Little_Boots

Little_Boots Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    Yay! I live in Ireland were the final shot was. Unfortunately the sounds cut off as I was watching the last clip, can anyone tell me what Luke said?

Sent from my HUAWEI SCL-L01 using Tapatalk

Dameron likes this.
  6. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I found the rotating shot interesting. Luke's truly become Yoda now in a sense: exiled, alone, jaded. Or has he?

7. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    Sometimes it's damned if you do/damned if you don't with SW. New landscapes = Not SW enough. Same landscapes = not enough originality

8. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I will never for the life of me understand how comparisons to the Lord of the Rings can be seen as a bad thing. These two franchises share the same mythic DNA. We should see similarities between them.

dekaneas likes this.
  9. Skillzwalker

Skillzwalker Jedi Master star 3

Oct 24, 2015
    I've only seen the movie once and obv need to see it more times. I also felt it went on a bit long but am not too concerned about that unless i still feel that way after many viewings. In short its not that important.

What is important is the messages being sent. Having seen the GIF's in this thread I have to say her performance was tremendous, she really evokes hope and desperation of acceptance in her expressions...wonderful.

Luke's expressions are much more complex but just as brilliant. He evokes the weight of a galaxy on his shoulders. He probably knew this moment would come and if she is his daughter (which is what i believe) he is conflicted because he knows he has been drawn back into this conflict.

Personally I think Luke left as after his academy was slaughtered he felt he was not wise enough, the force would not allow that to happen if he was doing the right thing. So he exiled himself to search out his feeling and knowledge of the force, waiting for the force to decide when he was needed (much like yoda and Ben did with him and Leia).

The reason he looks so haunted is due to his realisation that Rey turning up was not a 'good' thing. The new republic has been decimated, The resistance is vulnerable and the dark side is growing stronger. Its time for him to return and fight. Its not a happy story, things are bleak and he knows he is the galaxy's last hope.

So while Rey turning up can be seen as a good thing, in the context of the story its not. Its recognition of the dire state the good side is in, the govt has been destroyed and chaos reigns.

10. GG.exe

GG.exe Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2015
    I noted elsewhere that the music played when Luke is shown on screen at the end, is very similar to Palpatine's theme. There's a certain section from both that is almost exact.

11. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    I loved it. Another this time literal cliffhanger. With a LOTR Jackson swirl overhead the beautiful landscape before it circle fades out to the credits.
    The main SW theme is still Luke's main theme. Agreed about Luke's expressions. Hamill so underrated. Storywise, kind of ticked he didn't help Han out from dying.
    They had great buddy moments in the OT. but I guess that's how the story goes this time. Would have loved to see a last meeting with the two and sad it won't happen.
    At least Chewie will give Luke his bear hug.

Prisic Duskleap likes this.
  12. DARTHSHAME

DARTHSHAME Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2003
    Great ending and great shot. I agree with those who say that it left me anticipating Episode VIII

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  13. Catina barman

Catina barman Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2015
    Sp
    Spot on, I found most of the film to be kind of like a greatest hits tour with some real deep stuff and final scene blew me away. Here's hoping for fantastic continuation and the conclusion in this sequel trilogy.

14. Trooper100471

Trooper100471 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 20, 2015
    One thing struck me about the final swirling shot. Could that have been determined by the filming limitations on Skellig Michael? Maybe this was the best wide shot they could get as I presume there was restrictions set by Irish authorities on what they could take into the island?

DarkGingerJedi and arjank like this.
  15. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    Chewie and R2 were giving them privacy for a father/daughter reunion. Nothing to do with whether or not they wanted to see Luke.

Luke didn't leave just because his nephew turned evil and killed his students.

Luke holds himself responsible for creating another Darth Vader. That alone would be enough to destroy him, and if Rey is his daughter and he thought he lost her at the same time... Yeah, I can see why he's a broken man.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

16. wian

wian Jedi Knight

Nov 11, 2012
    Yes, for the first time in this star wars series i am really seeing a true connection to actual Knighthood from Medieval times if you nmow what i mean

arjank likes this.
  17. LORD_BINX

LORD_BINX Jedi Master star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    She pulled out that saber and Luke went from beating himself up about his family's new tragedies to remembering the old family tragedies. It's amazing that the guy doesn't have PTSD by now. At least that galaxy doesn't enforce child support laws.

18. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I loved everything about that final shot. The lead up. The theme of the student who seeks out the Master at the top of the mountain. The camera angles perched on the side, to remind us of the narrow path, that at any moment one can fall (to the darkside). That just like Rey, Luke was alone, maybe even more so.

I especially loved that they never spoke a single word to each other. They each said more with their eyes than could ever be expressed in simple words. Anything said up there would probably sound a bit cheesy anyway, so it felt more pure this way. It looked like a combination of surprise, sadness, regret, disbelief (that he's seeing another person in the flesh after so many years), and maybe even weariness, because he knows what's now before her ain't going to be easy.

I can imagine that he'd walk slowly passed her and say, "get off my island, you're not ready", as a way to test her motivation.

We can only imagine what came next. It would be great to open ep 8, a year or so later, with a shot of Rey and Luke dueling at the top, where we find that she's grown a lot in the in-between years.

19. nalkwan

nalkwan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 23, 2014
    have seen the movie twice, but forgot to check, anyone see if Luke had his lightsaber or not.
    i'm thinking not

20. GutWrench

GutWrench Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2015

It's not shown in the shot.

The scene is just surreal having thought about it over and over again. I'm still not quite sure what to think, haha. Other than it leaves me wanting more. I want to hear what Rey tells or asks him in the moments immediately after.

21. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    A thought: was Luke surprised by who actually walked up to him? It's very likely that he, like Leia, felt Han's death through the Force. And he had to see the Falcon land. Could he have been expecting Leia?

As for Chewie not being there, I'm sure he figured that this initial meeting was for Rey, alone.

22. Strange Old Hermit

Strange Old Hermit Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 17, 2015
    I know that there's always time between episodes, but I wish we could see the interaction between the two. Find out who talks first..

23. GG.exe

Dec 9, 2015
    Just for fun, re-imagining the final shot with alternate endings....

1. We follow Rey as we do, with Luke's back turned. Then he turns around, the hood covering his face, then two hands slowly pull back the hoodie, and, it's, Jar Jar Binks, with the same menacing scowl on his face.

2. The camera is behind Luke the whole time, still seeing his back only, with Rey in the near distance, walking up the steps, and as she approaches, you see him light up his red lightsaber off to his side. Rey stops where she is 10 meters away. Luke standing still with the red lightsaber still off to his side. Roll credits....Or.....then there's the helicopter shot and roll credits.

24. GG.exe

Dec 9, 2015
    He would've "felt" her coming like all those super force sensitive types can. Like Kylo sensing Han was suddenly on Starkiller base. Like Vader sensing Luke was on the Death Star, etc.

25. oldskooljedi23

oldskooljedi23 Jedi Youngling

Dec 18, 2015
    YES! I love that look he shoots her too. It's like head saying 'I'm with you now. Everything's gonna be ok'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.