1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events: Supanova: Melbourne (10th-12th April), Gold Coast (17th-19th April)

Oz Comic Con: Perth (11th-12 April), Adelaide (18th-19th April)

FF:NSW That Haggis Thread

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by TheOzhaggis, Aug 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    I don't think a Hobbit/LotR prequel film will have the same success if it isn't made by PJ and the Weta team.
  2. The_Scream_Man Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i have a source that says George Miller has been given the Hobbit.
  3. Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Master

star 4
    Bluff.

I say New Line want to stir this up as a way of making Jackson drop his 'accounting practices' lawsuit. MGM will push for Jackson (and apparently they've actually said this), New Line will umm and ahh, Jackson will say he's still interested, MGM will make threatening (media, fan) noises at New Line, New Line will say okay but he has to settle, Jackson will say okay let's settle now for the fans and then as a 'seperate' matter let's get on with things.
  4. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    Sai, that's how I see it going down.

Craig, I can't see George Miller being offered it, although if he was, he may just work with WETA on it.

A small, completely evil, part of me would almost love to see it picked up by Lucas and done by ILM. Although this would never happen, it would certainly bring a crushing end to those stupid Lucas Vs Jackson debates the whinier fan boys have that inevetibly try to determine directing prowess based on body fat ratio.

5. Scoot Force Ghost

star 4
    Lucas already made The Hobbit. It was called Willow :p
  6. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    Further developments.

Sam Raimi has been aproached to direct The Hobbit.

I have to say this would be the next best thing to having PJ on it, as he has previously directed in NZ and worked with WETA on Xena. Also as Scream has said, there is an uncomfirmed rumour about George Miller being aproached, he also does have very good relations with WETA and happens have worked with several ex-WETAS on Happy Feet.

Actually, with either of those two, this project would have a chance.

I think what some people may have also lost sight of, is that WETA and PJ are not a package deal. One runs a film company the other is a film special effects company. The two men in charge may be great friends, but that doesn't mean if PJ is out, so is WETA.

Richard Taylor of WETA has also said he would work on The Hobbit regardless of director.

It would be great if this crap can be worked out and PJ put back in the directing chair, but if that doesn't happen, then at least this does seem to be going in the right direction. I'm sure many fans were concerned it would wind up a Uwe Bole, Michael Bay or some equally brainless director behind it.
  7. Rebel_Padawan Force Ghost

star 4
    I totally agree with what Sith has said.

But the more pressing question in my mind is would they get Ian Holm to play Bilbo again? If not IH, then who?...
  8. hollyinlowercase Jedi Knight

star 3
  9. Scoot Force Ghost

star 4
  10. hollyinlowercase Jedi Knight

star 3
  11. The_Scream_Man Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    i actually dont think it should be holm either. hes a bit old to be Bilbo. Yes, tyhey made him younger for one shot of FOTR, but to sustain that over the course of a film would be needlessly difficult and expensive.

12. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    They 'could' do what they did to Sir Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart in the beginning of X-Men 3: The Last Stand. :p

As mentioned above, it would be expensive. Makes me wonder if the Magneto spin-off prequel would do the same.
  13. Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Master

star 4
    Hey SM. Nice to hear a voice of reason :)

As SM has alluded to, PJ didn't do LoTR's makeup, or weapons, or sets, or cgi. That's not to say that he wasn't a monumental reason for the trilogy's success - he was. However, even if worst comes to worst and The Hobbit is directed by someone else, WETA can still make it look like Middle Earth.

I'm also sure that, whatever the eventual cast, they will rise to the occasion and give us performances worthy of Middle Earth.

I'm a little worried, though, about finding a cinematic interpretation that is true to Middle Earth. Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens did a heroic job writing the bulk of LoTR's cinematic script. That passion and talent would be missed.
  14. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    First time for everything :p

I hope not, that looked really creepy. The title of the film btw should have been: X-Men 3: Contractual Obligations.

That one shot was done more than 6 years ago. Since then the time and money needed to accomplish this has dropped dramatically. That's if they even had to bother doing anything digitally. The shot you're talking about in FotR btw, has far much more to do with a wig, lighting and make up than it did to digital effects. The digital component amounting to zero anyway (aside from colour grading).

There's only two ways to make this project work when it comes to casting, production design and locations.

1) Use the original cast, WETA workshop, the same locations, the same key crew and at least consult with PJ if New Line are still crying about the money rightfully owed to him.

2) Scrap everything, make it distinctly different to PJ's films and unique in it's own way instead of making a half assed attempt at trying to recreate the magic of the original films with two or three original cast and props someone managed to raid from the original set.

Someone needs to make that decision, and they need to make it about a year ago.

15. messicat_kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Ok, I'm not a film geek, just a Lord of the Rings geek, so maybe this post won't be as coherent in such matters as others here so just keep that in mind. I'm seeing this as a fan.

The Hobbit is one of my favourite books ever and I just LOVED the Lord of the Rings movies, when they showed the flashback to Bilbo finding the ring my geeky heart soared with the possibility of a Hobbit movie made in such a beautiful style. Then I heard they were thinking of making a Hobbit movie! And then they weren't. And then there were. And then they weren't...and then I hear PJ & team won't be doing it because of New Line refusing to pay them their rightfully owned money, I was sad, but I understood and was pleased they were standing up for themselves like that! And now of course I'm hoping New Line will remember all that money PJ and team made them with the LotR films and just give them the money they are owed so that they'll be involved in the Hobbit. And they don't let a Michael Bay make it.

I've pondered about who could play Bilbo for quite some time, Ian Holm gave him a certain magic and it'd be interesting to see him reprise the role. You need a charm about to you to play Bilbo, I reckon. Well, we'll see I suppose.
  16. Shadowfire Force Ghost

star 4
    Just like ILM made SW PM and AOTC to look like SW III through VI. Even though they looked the same, they were a steaming pile of bantha doo.

Kind of a weak point I know, but I just like putting the boot into George. It's cheaper than going to therapy.

17. Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Master

star 4
    This whole issue of script is the reason for your bantha doo.

I recommend therapy.
  18. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    Hates George for eps 1 and 2? Nah, he's fine. No therapy needed there.

[image=http://archive.gamespy.com/comics/dorktower/images/comics/dorktower538.gif]
  19. Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Master

star 4
  20. Sith Magician Force Ghost

star 5
    I have no idea if there's an official announcement anywhere yet, haven't checked, but...

The distributor and financiers for The Hobbit may be in question right now, but the directing credit will definitely go to PJ. The rights holder has basically said they will wait for the option to expire and then hand it to Jackson for directing. That's sometime next year.

On a related note, if anyone wants to move house to the eastern suburbs, there's about 3-4 apartments that I know of that will become available around that time....
  21. Sai-Mera_Saa Jedi Master

star 4
    If this is true, and there isn't much New Line can do to hold onto the rights, then New Line are truly dumber than I thought. I'm not sure exactly how this rights thing is set out though - do New Line only have to start production before the expiry or do they have to produce a finished product? If they only need to start production, then this article doesn't really tell us anything new.
  22. The_Scream_Man Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    they have to have it out by then. hence peoples concern.

it wont happen, the hobbit is a couple of years away
  23. Ki-Bara-Mundi Force Ghost

star 6
    I'm curious about the second LOTR prequel. Being a movie fan rather than a Tolkien fan, anyone have any ideas on what this would be about?
  24. Scoot Force Ghost

star 4
    [image=http://www.aintitcool.com/images2006/fantasticar.jpg]

Fantasticar!
  25. Corellian_Outrider Admin FF | Art Curator | Oceania RSA | CR of NSW

Administrator
    star 5
    It'll be interesting if they did the Simillarian as the Lotr prequel or more of the Last Alliance(sp?)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.