main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT That Old Man Anakin

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WhinyLuke, Sep 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhinyLuke

WhinyLuke Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2012
    I'm only 15 so to me the nonSE stuff are new stuff. I see a lot of people up set about the old ghost of Anakin being taken out. But I don't get it. Hear me out. The old Anakin never looked like that. He never had hair, never was a old man with out the scars. It's easier to believe that when is dies he would go back to when he was at his best. However it's harder to shallow that he pasted away and took a new look that he never had. So I don't get why people are more understanding of the old ghost. I will say that maybe if Lucas had him old and looked like Anakin (no hair or scars) I could see people's point. What if Obi-wan's ghost wanted long hair and yoda ghost went with a different look.
    I get why you like the old ghost. It's how you first saw it but you must unlearn what you have learned

2. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    For the record, there are a hell of a lot of people out there who like Hayden over Shaw. Myself being one of them, though I still have a lot of respect for Shaw, as he was my first Anakin.

3. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I prefer Christensen over Shaw. The first time I saw the theatrical release of Return of the Jedi, I didn't get it that this guy was meant to be Anakin. Also the music sounds much better in the Special Edition and 2004 DVD Edition. I choose the DVD version the most times when watching Star Wars, sometimes the theatrical release. The SE is the worst OT version, it seems to be a bit uncomplete to me and I don't have got the blu-rays. The only thing I don't like in the DVD version are Shaw's removed eye brows. Well, and the Hayden-Anakin is a bit cheesy made, it's just Christensen's head copied over Shaw's body. Beside, the fact you're a 15 year old girl may be another reason why you prefer Hayden. ;)

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Grrrrrrr...

5. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    It isn't simply Christensen's head put on Shaw's body.

6. Adrian the Cool

Sep 3, 2012
    I do not fear an Ewok Jedi.^^ ;)

If you look closely, you can see the body with it's clothing is exactly the same. The didn't film Hayden Christensen in Jedi clothes, they only took his head and put it on Shaw's body. But it looks very naturalistic, without knowing the theatrical release of the movie nobody would notice how this scene was made. So who cares, it doesn't really matter. In AOTC this was used, too, they put Christopher Lee's head on a digital double during the lightsaber fight Dooku vs. Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin.

TragicHeroLover132 likes this.
  7. WhinyLuke

WhinyLuke Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2012
    How could taking out eyebrows upset anyone

I'm looking for old ghost support to explain why he looks different as a old man. Why you like that better.

Adrian the Cool likes this.
  8. P.Sam

P.Sam Jedi Padawan star 1

May 31, 2011
    Well, one may argue that Vader has aged under his armor till the time he was rescued by Palpatine and when he died in ROTJ. When Luke takes off his mask we see someone who is much older than in his youth. So it may be that his redemption appeareance as a ghost show what he would have look like at this age if never sullied by the dark side.

But I am not upset at all about the change of Christensen over Shaw because I think the notion of the redemption of Anakin who come back to where he was when still uncorrupted by the dark side also do make sense. Lucas probably thought it would fit better his story and make some kind of bridge between the two trilogies.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You have to consider, WhinyLuke, that the prequels are still relatively new compared to ROTJ. Until the prequels came out there was no contradiction. Everyone assumed that the Clone Wars happened a lot earlier than they turned out to have happened, hence Ghost!Anakin looking as old as he does. After Revenge of the Sith came out, Lucas figured that upon dying Anakin would revert to his pre-Vader look. Which really makes no sense, but I guess being the Chosen One comes with afterlife perks.;)

So people would be upset about the change because that's how it was for the longest time until the prequels came around. That and most hardliners just don't like Hayden.:p Some people just don't like change, or they don't like what they see as unnecessary changes or bad changes.

10. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    ^^^^this.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm almost 41, saw the OOT in theaters, and may be the only person who has no "ghost preference". I liked Shaw in the 22 years that I knew ROTJ with him in it, but I also liked Hayden.

The best pro-Shaw argument that I've seen is that he looks more fatherly where Luke is concerned, whereas Luke and Hayden's Anakin are the same age. But it depends on whether the ghost was meant for Luke or the audience.

12. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    No, they did film Hayden Christensen in Jedi robes, its just that the clothing looks almost identical and neither Shaw or Christensen knew why they were being filmed at the time. I have even seen a video comparison on YouTube that proves it isn't just a simple head swap. I am well aware of the fact Christopher Lee's head was put on a digital double in AotC and RotS.

DarthBoba likes this.
  13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I'm pretty sure Lucas said something about a head swap in the commentary.

14. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    It is a head swap.
    I also like both versions, but I prefer the current one because it feels more emotionally correct in light of the complete saga. In that context, you'll want the scene to make you think "He's finally back" rather than "So that's what he looked like" and nothing does that better than seeing the face of the guy who played Anakin before the mask.

Anakin - he has many faces
    /LM

Adrian the Cool and eht13 like this.
  15. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Then why does Wookieepedia repeatedly say its not a head replacement?

16. Adrian the Cool

Sep 3, 2012
    Always in motion the future is. ;)

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Probably because "anyone can edit it". He used behind the scenes footage, that's why Hayden didn't even knew about it.

Adrian the Cool likes this.
  18. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    No, as with Sebastian Shaw, Hayden Christensen wasn't told about the purpose of the footage.

19. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    From what I've read, GL just told Sebastian to "Look happy".
    Hayden probably got even less direction, since they were just doing a makeup test, or something to that effect.

Anakin - he's oblivious
    /LM

20. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Shaw is the "aged" Anakin - and the one I prefer. The dying man was not again 21 or whatever.

21. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Hi everyone, this is my first post.

I believe this video proves (at least to my satisfaction) that it really was just a head swap:

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn likes this.
  22. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    I think you meant to say "go back to when he murdered children, betrayed all his friends and surrogate family to their deaths, attempted to strangle his pregnant wife, helped cover up the truth behind the largest galactic war in a thousand years by murdering all the witnesses, and pledged his soul to the Prince of Darkness based on a rumor he heard a day earlier."

Darth_Magus, T-R-, TX-20 and 4 others like this.
  23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The reason why Shaw's eyebrows were digitally removed in the ROTJ is because he was burned alive on Mustafar, it makes sense doesn't it?

TragicHeroLover132 likes this.
  24. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    I think you meant to say "I hate PT Anakin."

Your focus determines your reality
    /LM

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    ...but I have been known to make mistakes.
    ...from time to time.

We're all human
    /LM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.