main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson That time of year

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by firstsonofsolo, May 18, 2007.

1. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    Well folks July is rapidly approaching us which means it is going to be voting time and discuss any revisions we may need to make. Here are the following offices that are currently being held.

Chapter representative: runs meetings, moderates the Tucson forum, organizes and supports the chapter, handles media-related issues, and does anything else not covered by the other offices

Secretary: takes and posts the minutes from each meeting, handles club-related documents (such as this constitution), runs meetings if the CR is unable to attend

Historian: organizes photos from events and keeps our scrapbook up to date

Librarian: runs the Two Suns Fan Force Library, which includes handling the book collection and bringing the books to each meeting for members to check out

501st liaison: coordinates Two Suns Fan Force involvement in 501st events (must be a 501st member)

Webmaster: keeps our club website up to date

Costumed event coordinator: coordinates events in the community

If you would like to run for office or nominate someone you should think about doing so now. Also if you have any ideas on revising the charter please write them down and keep them until the July meeting.

2. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    I am announcing that I am running for chapter rep as Cathie has stepped down and handed everything over I fully intended to run the TFF through 2008.

In doing so my personal goal is to grow the TFF as much as possible by reaching out in all aspects of the Star Wars fandom, whether it be costuming, collecting, reading or gaming.

3. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    Hm, I thought Cat said she wanted to wait until June to make the election thread, but since the guantlet has been thrown down!

I would also like to announce my candidacy for CR. I am just getting off of work, so my intitiatives will be posted later today.

4. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003

Other offices discussed but not listed:

Media (what Dustin has been doing with the logos, images, and video)

Treasurer

5. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    I know I'm not around right now, but I would like to be secretary still! :)

6. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    Let it be known now throughout the realm that I have no intention of running for or serving as any office/position holder for the coming year. I will simply remain the "true" power behind the throne(Wow, that certainly sounds "Sith-ish" to me[face_laugh][face_devil] )

7. _Anakin_Vader_

_Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    Well, that's a good thing, since Chris/Dustin don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose! (Wookiees are known to do that)

[face_laugh]

8. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    I'm going to go along with Jack... I have no intention of running for any office or any duties.

9. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    You do hold an office - Webmaster :)

10. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    I never considered it an office. I bought TucsonFanForce.com, created the site, host it, administered it, update it, pay for it, and maintain it. Basically I own it. It has nothing to do with anyone else; I?ve never asked for help paying for any of it. I never thought of it as an elective FF function. Just something that needed to be done.

11. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    To get the "ball rolling" here are questions I'd like to ask the 2 people so far that have said they would like to run for CR.

How you would facilitate having a set day and time for meeting (IE.1st Saturday of every month)?

How would you promote Better Communication within group?

What ideas would you foster for having external FF get togethers that don?t relate to charity functions (just having fun)?

How would you promote the group to other groups in the area (IE. other FF, Rebel legion, 501st, other collector or other sci-fi groups)? Continuing on that idea, would you go about getting new members?

How would you promote our public image and get our group more noticed in the community?

What are you goals and hopes for the next year of the FF? What you like to see changed? How would it benefit the group?

What events or functions are you more interested in?

How would you handle the funding issues within the group?

What if any changes would you like to see made to the charter?

IMHO, this group is lopsided. Some people contribute more time, money and , energy than others yet reap no more benefit or accolades that those that barley participate yet reap all the benefits of being a TFF member. Is this an concern for you? If so how would you change it?

This may seem silly but what threads would you make sticky and what would you unstuck?

Edit: Thought of another question:

How would you approach the changes that need to be made on the boards (IE. scrolling meeting times, website addy in out southwest listing) and updates?

12. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005

Technically, you also "hold" the office of 501st liason, although I wasn't aware that the position was an elected office.

Here's a couple of questions: Over the past year, there seemed to be an undercurrent of dissention, anger, hostility, divisiveness, call it what you will, that I feel hurt the group. Do you think this is a situation that can be resolved by anyone's election to the CR office? If so, how would your victory help the situation?

13. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Wow, grilling before my platform is even announced! Ill do my best to answer your questions, but I think most of them woul dhave been answered when I posted my initiatives.

14. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005

YES!!!!! [face_skull] [face_devil]

15. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Okay here is my seriously long post!

I'll address Damian's questions first since he posted them first. Keep in mind I am always open to new ideas. I do think there should be some type of question/answer session at a future meeting prior to elections, so I won't use this thread for debates on individual topics.

How you would facilitate having a set day and time for meeting (IE.1st Saturday of every month)?
    I beleive this is a key to reaching and maintaining new members. Two of the problems we have is sometimes making meetings on the fly, and based on one or two individuals schedules. This feeds into the question about reaching new members below. If we have a set day and time each month for the one official meeting, it is easier for the public to grasp that the club is accessible. If someone knows that we have meetings every second Sunday of the month, for example, it sticks in their mind and makes it much more easy to remember to make it another time. It makes visits from other fan forces, clubs or media outlets easier to schedule as well. It is also something we can put on flyers around local businesses where fans congregate or buy merchandise. It portrays us as an organized, professional group. We can also put the general announcement that the meetings are a set day every month on the scrolling banner above (which still reads March!) since getting it changed monthly in a timely manner isn't always reliable. This is one of my initiatives, and I would have the dates and times up for a vote within the first meeting following election.

I think better commuication flows from more socialization as a group, so we are not just members, but friends. I will make known all my contact information, and make it known everyone can contact me at any time. I will also try and facilitate communication between other members, and encourage events (leads into the next question) merely for the purpose of socialization without the pressure of performing, meeting goals or being "on the job" in terms of an office etc.

What ideas would you foster for having external FF get togethers that don?t relate to charity functions (just having fun)?
    I think this is exactly how we become friends as well as members. My ideas include, but are not limited to,
    Movies (Transformers! Harry Potter! FanBoys! My Best Friends Wedding 2! (just kidding), dinners, b-day parties for members, parties in general, home screenings.Outings like: a museum, conventions, and book signings. Not all gatherings need to be Star Wars related. Anyone at anytime can post a thread, for example; "join us for lunch on 5/18".

How would you promote the group to other groups in the area (IE. other FF, Rebel legion, 501st, other collector or other sci-fi groups)? Continuing on that idea, would you go about getting new members?
    I stated some above, but in a nutshell here are my ideas:
    Other groups:
    Inviting the Rebel Legion, 501st, other groups etc, to a meeting, or making a special party-type socialization meeting with them, offering to help with an event of theirs, and inviting them to help with one of ours
    New members:
    Flyers in the pop culture places where sci-fi fans gather, comic shops, etc

picking an official TFF comic shop, and using it for a screening, rps, something and advertising it.

advertising on free spaces such as the tucson weekley

putting up advertising that does cost up for a vote

inviting media outlets to a meeting or event

bumperstickers button, mugs, sun visors, tattoos! (just kidding about the last couple)

Mass donations of toys to special places on holidays with media coverage

ETC! Please don't think this is all! And I am always willing to hear new ideas!

How would you promote our public image and get our group more noticed in the community?
    My primary goal is expansion for the future. I would like be sure that if a few core members leave the group it will not fold.

What are you goals and hopes for the next

16. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    Just wanted to say I am working on my "speech" will post tomorrow eveing

-Chris

17. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    2 More questions:

In the interest of FF and other Star Wars/Sci-Fi relations (and TFF's external reputation) what other boards on tf.n and off of tf.n do you frequent?

How much time due you think you?ll devote to being CR on a weekly basis?

18. KickingnScreaming

KickingnScreaming Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2006
    Off the TFF boards I frequent

501stsithlords.com
    the 501st forums
    the dsg forums
    the kraytclan forums
    omega wing forums
    501st armored detatchment forums
    sithtrainingtemple forums,

of the tfn i frequent
    tucson
    phoenix
    fan activities costuming and props
    etc.

usually when i am online, i devte ym time to the tucsonf orums exclusively

OOps, Michele musta hijaked the computer!

Its too tough to tell how much time I would

19. dialswiftjustice

Jul 12, 2005
    Oops sorry for some reason my my whole post didnt come through either.

I was going to say, right now it is hard to tell how much time at this point, but I assure you I have the time to dedicate to the Fan Force to be an effective CR.

[image=http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/TucsonFanForce/Random%20TFF%20Pictures/nap.jpg]

20. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    BWAHAHAHAH!!! [face_laugh]

21. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006

Simple, we bring it to a vote by the group.I think this would help the group out immensely as it would allow us to attract potential members and would be an easy coversation starter by simply saying "we have monthly meetings on blank day and time" . I can personally say that it is also nice to have meetings on off days but as the CR I will provide what is best for the group and not one individual which I feel is the most important task of the CR.
    Over the past few months life has intervened for many of us. I think we need to spend more time together doing non event type things as I have personally seen the closeness of the RPG group. We used to hang out all the time and go to dinner together. It would help us out immensely to become more close knit but still allow room for newcomers. Also keeping up to date phone lists will also help in this matter.

We have already gotten the ball rolling for this and now we need to carry it through. . The term "Two Suns Fanforce" does not mean we are solely a charity group although that has seemed to be our main focus. I feel it has turned away some newcomers and scares off some potential members. We as a group can only go so far with costuming as our number one focus. We need to do things taht are in public that make people feel welcome like RPGs in a public place or a trading/collecting day at a comic shop or the new and upcoming "book club" at a library. I also feel that we as a group should also consider doing a charity function without the costumes. Dont shoot me but it would show that we can still provide without the "bling"
    I personally am on quite a few of the busiest message boards and have invited quite a few people to come check us out. I would also like to see us all have a banner promoting our group that can be displayed at the bottom of our posts instead of just a link to the TFF website like most of us have.Advertsising both free and at cost is a very effective way of getting people to recognize us as well. We have talked about getting a screen at a theater and passing out flyers. This only works if we as agroup do it together. Coming from a marketing background I can tell you that the design and colors used will also help our efforts.
    We have also talked about bumper stickers which a few weeks back I looked into. The nice ones are expensive but are eye catchy.
    I think in conjunction with the DSG we need to set up a table at the Cactus con and other local events where other people with similair interests can find us. Putting up laminated flyers in video game, movie and comic stores will also help.

Personally image is a big thing in representing a group making sure you are prepared for anything. Making sure you yourself are presentable. Having a set "speech" for media events so we do not get tongue tied in front of the camera as well. We can also to reattempt to get onto radio and television by inviting the media to join us or getting on public access more often.

What are you goals and hopes for the next year of the FF? What you like to see changed? How would it benefit the group?

Quite simply my buggest goal is to grow the TFF. I would like to see us double in size by this time next year. I loved when we had 25 people show up for a meeting! As a group we can benefit from the additional members by possibly getting more talent connections or the ability to do more financially. Growing also allows us to reach our arnms out even further and p

22. firstsonofsolo

Feb 2, 2006
    In the interest of FF and other Star Wars/Sci-Fi relations (and TFF's external reputation) what other boards on tf.n and off of tf.n do you frequent?

I will admit that at this time I only frequent our boards, the phoenix boards and the collecting boards on theforce.net
    This of course is in the process of changing!

Outside boards include.......
    Thedenetdhelmet
    duneseagarrison
    501stlegion
    clonetroopers.net
    flagshipeclipse
    grandarmyoftherepublic (GAR)
    myspace
    alteregos
    Thereplicapropsforum (RPF)
    Phoenixsquadron
    sonosofthesuns

and my newest edition which I was hoping to bring up to some of you..........

The west coast costuming group (WCC)

How much time due you think you?ll devote to being CR on a weekly basis?
    Well as currently the interum I am spending about 2 hours a day online and about 2 hours a week on the phone. I also have weekdays off to set up meetings for events and media.

I would say on an average week I spend close to 20 hours whether it be online, meeting or events which is a part time job in itself!

I am not including the promoting I do at work or stopping by to see potential members or other recruiting oppurtunities which usually occurs at work.

I work in the mall and part of my duties is to conversate with people believe it or not. The owner likes me to know all our regulars and I bring up the boards and show off pictures frequently.

23. _Anakin_Vader_

_Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    Well, unfortunately, TF.N's siggys are only allowed text, no pics or code. At least that I have figured out how to do. Nonetheless, here are a couple images I whipped up that hopefully don't break any copyright laws.

Here is my first one

and a second one for you anti-PT types

24. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Yes, but graphic sigs are allowed on other boards.

25. KickingnScreaming

KickingnScreaming Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2006
    What your expectations for your CR? What would any of you like to see changed, improved increased or decreased?