main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

That You Might Live (sequel to I'm Your What?)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Vee, Aug 5, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vee

Vee Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 16, 2000
    PROLOGUE

_It was, in effect, trading one darkness for another._

Padmé Naberrie Skywalker -- the honorable Senator Amidala from Naboo -- leaned against the observation window of the Temple creche, looking past her faint reflection and among the scrambling toddlers.

It was midday -- naptime -- but they would have no part in it. The creche master had a shrieking child under each arm and was pretending to growl at them. Another child, an Ampinuan girl, attached herself to his leg, demanding in the most imperious voice that he let her friend go. This led to other protests, certainly, but it convinced the children to follow him, and Amidala smiled.

She ran her thumb along the edge of her access badge. Security was tight at the Temple for as long as she could remember, and politicians -- formerly a welcome, frequent presence -- were discouraged from coming into contact with anyone below Padawan rank. The fear of Sith was rampant in the galaxy. Nearly thirty-five years had passed since the Trade Federation invasion of Naboo and Palpatine's sudden disappearance. Without the Sith apprentice in place to distract the Jedi, the Palace was taken easily and the terrified Viceroy agreed to testify that Palpatine, indeed, was Darth Sidious.

There were moments -- just seconds, seconds she always scolded herself for -- that she wished things had not been so easy. That they could have lived obliviously in the original timeline, with all the rewards and punishments it held.

Anakin was haunted by dreams, he'd told her. Of the respirator, of the suit, of brutal acts. For a period of time, he dreamed of Leia, and in these dreams of her he was oblivious of his relationship to her. They were pleasant dreams at first, he'd said. They were not so anymore. That was all she would hear.

Amidala did not like to talk about Luke and Leia.

She was so busy thinking about how much she didn't like thinking about them that she didn't even notice that Anakin had emerged from the creche, weary but smiling.

2. RogueJai

RogueJai Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2000
    *happy dance* WHOHOOOOO!!!!! It's begun! :)

Wait. Calm down. Certain aspects of that post did not seem happy.

Fine. I'm calm.

(is it just me, or is the JC making me have multiple personalities?)

Anyhoo, glad it's started! :)

3. Darth Cerberus

Darth Cerberus Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 1999
    YES!!! A Sequel!!!
    :)

4. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    Yes! <rolls up sleeves> Let's go!
    -------
    Anakin ran a hand through his hair as he came out of the creche, listening with half an ear for the inevitable rebellion from little Greleo. She was small enough that she could still fly without too much discomfort (older Ampinuans suffered miserably if they were forced to use their wings), and she frequently tried to --

"Gotcha!" he cried, grabbing her out of the air at shoulder level and flipping her upside down. He winked at his wife. "I'll be right back."

She smiled vaguely. Her mind was elsewhere.

He put Greleo down on her couch and gave her a stern frown. "It's time for you to sleep now."

She yawned. "Not tired."

He waved his hand theatrically and said, "You will go to sleep now."

She giggled.

"Hmmm, I must be doing it wrong." He waved his hand the other way putting a splashy flourish at the end, and lowered his voice. "You will go to sleep now!"

She giggled again.

He examined his hand like it was a droid part, and shook his head. "Must be broken," he said. "You'll just have to sleep on your own."

"Not... " yawn "...tired."

He smoothed her violet hair down, and pulled a light blanket over her. "Sleep," he whispered, not using the mind trick any more than he had before -- he didn't believe in using such tactics, though the creche master he'd taken over from insisted that they were necessary in a room full of three- and four-year-olds. Greleo's eyes slipped shut, and Anakin kissed her cheek.

And felt like someone was ripping his heart out.

_Where are my children? Why can't I *ever* have them to cherish like this?_

"You do that so well," Amidala whispered.

He put his arm over her shoulders, and led her outside, closing the door quietly behind him. As soon as they were clear of it, he turned her to him and kissed her as deeply as he could.

She broke away after awhile, and pretended to fan her face. "You do *that* pretty well, too." She smiled wanly.

"You were thinking about them again, weren't you?" he asked.

She shook her head. "No. I don't think about them. I can't bear it. I promised and... "

"They're still there," Anakin said. "And we will see them again. Soon."

"Soon," she repeated. "But *how*, Ani? How? And how do we know when it's time in their when?"

"It's time."

"How do you know that?"

"Because I died last night."

----------------------

TATOOINE. THE SAME MOMENT.

Luke stood at the base of his father's funeral pyre, now cooling ashes. Kit and the children had left long ago. Leia stood quietly to one side.

"Nothing changed," she said. "We're still here. But so is... so was he."

Luke reached out into the Force. *Something* was different, but he couldn't name it. There was a light/shadow, glimmering in the void, a reflection, but he couldn't see it clearly. "They're out there," he said. "Somewhere."

Leia shook her head, willing herself out of the sacred moment of Father's pyre and back into the world they had to live in. "Whatever happened, we know that Mother's out there, anyway. We have to find her."

"She won't remember what happened here."

"We still have to find her."

"Of course we do."

"It doesn't matter what she remembers. We'll find her."

"Of course we will."

"Then don't you think we'd better get started?"

5. Alderaan21

Alderaan21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 1998
    The sequel is here, and it is good! :)

Some parts have me a little unnerved though...

"I died last night"... Whoa.

6. Anakin's Angel

Anakin's Angel Jedi Padawan star 4

May 3, 2000

I love it...I don't get it yet...but I love it!!

MORE!!!

aa :D

7. Mistress Sudafed

Mistress Sudafed Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 27, 2000
    I'm so happy this story is going on...no dead horse yet!

8. BelleBayard

BelleBayard TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Mar 16, 2000
    Another oh-so wonderful story! Keep it, folks. What would I do without this stuff? :)

9. I love Sci Fi

I love Sci Fi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Yipee!!!The sequel is here.
    Greeat posts guys. Really Great!!!

10. Queen_Amidolly

Queen_Amidolly Jedi Youngling

Aug 6, 2000
    I'm happy!!!!!! A sequel.......YAY!

Just to let you guys know......I absolutely LOVED the last story. Can't wait to see what happens now! Keep it up.

11. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    Just in case you want to look at the first part again, Vee got it in shape and put it at fanfiction.net (do a title search for "I'm Your What?"). I also just put it over at Vader's Mask, in four parts. The menu page is
    http://fan.starwars.com/vadersmask/iyw.html

12. SithAbigail

SithAbigail Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2000
    Gazing at the ashes for the final time, Leia couldn't help but muse at how appropriate the Tatooine ceremony had been.

Fire destroys. Fire has no mercy, it is unforgiving, relentless. Yet, it revitalizes. It destroys the mast in forests. It allows for the new, in it's own way. Fire can give out warmth or it can take the same warmth away.

Full of contradictions, it summed up her feelings for her father.

Leia turned and walked away, Luke trailing behind. They walked in silence, each lost in their own thoughts.

The Princess of Alderaan was doing a quick mental review of the last week, trying to remember any and all useful information. Suddenly, something clicked. "Sabé!"

"What?" Luke ran a hand through his hair, looking slightly confused.

"Lando said he knew Sabé, meaning she's alive. She was one of Mother's handmaidens, if anyone would know something, she would," she paused. "Of course, if Lando knows her, that means she's probably a less desirable element."

Luke laughed, grinning at her. "Leia, you're dating a less desirable element, sister of mine."

Crinkling her nose, Leia repressed a smile. "Just for that, you can't be Godfather to any future children."

"I'm crushed..." Luke trailed off as the Falcon came into their line of sight. "Should we get them involved?"

"I don't think we have a choice," Leia smiled, trying to stop the suddenly somber mood. "Race you!"

"I don't think we have a choice," Leia smiled, trying to stop the suddenly somber mood. "Race you!"

With that, she took off, vaguely aware of Luke yelling cheater. She entered the Falcon, dashing through the hallways, until she came upon the main room.

She came to a sudden stop when she saw Lando and Han with shocked looks on their faces. "Hi?"

Luckily, Luke came into the room right after that, breathing hard. "You cheated Leia! What, afraid you can't beat me otherwise or-- Hey Han. Hey Lando."

At that, the sabacc-playing duo started laughing.

*Note to self. Next time you race Luke, make sure Han is far, far away.*

13. Anakin's Angel

May 3, 2000

That was cute! I like how Leia mused over the fire, and Vader. MORE!!

14. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    Aww man, I was looking forward to that German translation... ;)

Just kidding. Great start guys!

15. Angel of Iego

Angel of Iego Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 12, 2000
    Yeah, Vee, I love that you finally got the (fantastic) sequel up and running, but I really had my heart set on "The Thong Song..." Guess I can't have my cake and eat it, too. ;)

Love the posts, guys. The direction this story is taking is very compelling (even though it is a bit, y'know, distressing).

16. SithAbigail

Apr 6, 2000
    *grins evily* And here is the Thong Song in German. lol
    Der ZapfenSong
    Unleash den Drachen

[ gesprochen ]
    (dieses dünne ' rechte hier... ist lettin, ', das alle Damen kennen)
    (was Halteseile Gespräch ' Bout... Sie kennen, die feineren Sachen im Leben)
    (Überprüfung es heraus)
    [ Verse 1 ]
    Dakleid Ooo so scandalous
    Und Sie wissen, daß ein anderes nigga nicht es anfassen könnte
    So mögen Sie shakin' dathang, wem daish ist
    Mit einem Blick in Ihren Augen so devilish
    Uh, mögen Sie an allen Hüftehopfenpunkten tanzen
    Sie kreuzt durch die Mannschaften wie anschließt dapunkte
    Nicht gerade städtisch, mag sie die Knallursache
    Sie war livin ' die vidaorte
    Sie hatte Speicherauszüge wie ein LKW (LKW, LKW)
    Schenkel mögen, was (was, was)
    Babybewegung Ihr Kolben (Kolben, Kolben)

Ich denke, daß ich ihn wieder singe
    Alle Nacht lang, ließ mich sehen diesen Zapfen

[ Chorus ]
    Ich mag es, wenn der Schlag nu du Nu du gehen
    Baby lassen Ihre Beute gehen (nu)(baby) du Nu du
    Mädchen I kennen Sie wannaerscheinen (nu du Nu du)
    Dieser Zapfen, Zapfen, Zapfen, Zapfen
    Ich mag es, wenn der Schlag gehen (nu du Nu du)
    Baby lassen Ihre Beute gehen (nu du Nu du)
    Gilr I kennen Sie wannaerscheinen (nu du Nu du)
    Dieser Zapfen, Zapfen, Zapfen, Zapfen

[ Verse 1b ]
    Dieses Mädchen so scandalous
    Und Sie wissen, daß ein anderes nigga nicht es anfassen könnte
    Verursachen Sie sie shakin' dathang wie, wer daish ist
    Mit einem Blick in ihren Augen so devilish
    Uh, mag sie an allen Hüftehopfenpunkten tanzen
    Sie kreuzt durch die Mannschaften wie anschließt dapunkte
    Nicht gerade städtisch, mag sie die Knallursache
    Sie war livin ' die vidaorte
    Babybewegung Ihr Kolben (Kolben, Kolben)

Ich denke, daß ich ihn wieder singe
    Alle Nacht lang, ließ mich sehen diesen Zapfen

Wiederholen Sie [ Chorus ] 2x

Wiederholen Sie [ Verse1 ] 1x

Wiederholen Sie [ Chorus ] 5x

17. ami-padme

ami-padme Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 19, 1999
    HA HA HA HA!!!

Wow...

18. Anakin's Angel

May 3, 2000
    Now just imagine some German guy trying to sing it and make it sound sexy! LOL LOL!!!! Bwahaha!

19. RogueJai

RogueJai Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2000
    *make sure that Han is far, far away* :) :) :) :) :) :) funny!! :)

20. Angel of Iego

Angel of Iego Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 12, 2000
    Ha, ha! Got my cake AND ate it, too!

Life is good.

21. Vee

Vee Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 16, 2000
    Wow -- thirteen responses in 24 hours, and the thread is on top when I check. That in itself is enough to make me smile ... but The Thong Song? Yoj! I'm so happy. ;)

I'm too tired to write. Went to "Shopryland" (they tore down the theme park and put up a huge, huge, huge, huge mall). And I leave for school next Saturday night, and I'm not sure how soon I'll be connected to the Internet again. I'm just going to apologize in advance for any slacking that may occur on my behalf.

22. Alderaan21

Alderaan21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 1998
    HA HA!! Thanks Abigail! :) I never thought I'd be learning the lyrics to that song Auf Deutsch before I learned them in English (I understood most of the translation)... *snickers* I've heard several American songs performed by Germans in class, and the results ain't too pretty... some German guy singing the Thong Song would be utterly horrendous. ;)

I needed that uplift after hearing about Alec Guinness. :( RIP, man... anyhoo, anxiously awaiting more story posts!

23. SithAbigail

Apr 6, 2000
    Okay, slight warning. I'm going on a two week vacation starting Tuesday, so posts will be scarce. I'll have an internet connection some of the time so I'll try and post when I can. =)

24. Jedi Pikachu

Jedi Pikachu Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 27, 2000
    I *love* the sequel so far. It's really good.

HeeHee.I'm trying to imagine Sisqo singin that in German.<snicker> He looked bad enough singin it in English. Note: I.... "dislike" Sisqo.

25. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    ANOSHAM. OUTER RIM.

Palpatine slipped deep into his meditation, and glanced sideways. He wasn't always able to do so, but since the first time -- the time just after Maul had disappeared -- he had sometimes been able to see another world, another path, flickering at the corners of his eyes. It was a path he would have much preferred. But when the Queen had returned...

He seethed, and the boiling of his anger warmed him.

It had begun with the betrayal by the Neimoidians. Nute Gunray. He had known what the price of his glory would be, and he had forsaken it by testifying. But Palpatine didn't need to hurry. Let the Jedi and their Republic consider him a mere nuisance for the time being. He would continue to look sideways, and wait for that shadowy othertime to whisper to him, to show him their weakness and his own strength. For thirty five years -- thirty-five! -- he had waited.

And now, finally, he saw. He saw the betrayal off to the side, and understood who had done it, and why. That weak boy? The boy who still served as a nursemaid in the Jedi Temple?

Well, it was time to begin again, and it would hardly be proper to begin in any place other than the beginning.

He opened his eyes and glanced down. His apprentice knelt before him, her small form lost in the deep robes of the Sith. The boys had been watched carefully. Palpatine had to work with what was available. She was easy to manipulate, at any rate, empty without him to give her a vision. She also provided him with entertainment, when he willed it. He lifted his hand. "Rise, my lovely one," he said.

She stood immediately, her head still slightly bowed. "Yes, my Master."

"You have been well-trained."

"Yes, Master."

"And you are ready for your Trials."

He paused. This was the point of danger. If it occurred to her that he had no intention of making her a master -- that, in fact, he planned to kill her should she show signs of such a rebellion -- she could kill him right now. She said nothing.

He turned his back on her and went to the wide window overlooking Anosham. It had been a forested planet, but most of the trees had been harvested, or cleared for building. Palpatine's small, temporary capital was built high on a hill overlooking a river and a waterfall. A small bit of home.

He decided abruptly that, once he had dined on the galaxy, he would take the throne of Naboo as light snack. And he would keep Queen Amidala handy to serve any needs he might have... as soon as he killed her weak, betraying husband before her eyes.

Again.

He smiled. It would be fire this time. Skywalker hated fire.

"Master?"

"Do not interrupt me while I am making plans."

She fell silent. "Yes, Master."

"Your trial," he said, "is to deliver a small message to the Senator from Naboo and her husband."

"A message?"

"Yes." He looked back at her, inflecting his voice -- and pushing with his mind -- so that she would not doubt what her orders were. "You will find Nute Gunray on Coruscant for business."

"And the message, my Master?"

"Is Nute Gunray. Translation will be unnecessary."

Understanding dawned, and a dark, beautiful smile spread across her face. "As you wish, my Master."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.