main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

That You Might Live (sequel to IYW?, REPOST)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Vee, Mar 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reklawyks

reklawyks Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 9, 2000
    It's okay. I'm sure everybody would understand. This is such a great story and I'm sure you all can keep up the good work.

:)

2. I love Sci Fi

I love Sci Fi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2000
  3. p_stotts

p_stotts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 21, 2001
    Okay, I'm impatiently waiting for a new post. ;) It's very good! :D

4. ThatJediGirl

ThatJediGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    Okay, I started reading this thread/ or story a couple of days ago, and I am waiting for what happens next. UP! [face_devil]

5. I love Sci Fi

Jan 21, 2000
  6. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    *rereading this and wondering why she is so obsessed with this fic*
    more, pls!

7. Force-Listener

Force-Listener Jedi Youngling

Apr 18, 2001
    Is the title "That You Might Live" referring to this thread?

Keep posting, great work so far.

8. Ana_Labris

Ana_Labris Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    I have similiar Q... Is this just for re-postin, so that there will be another thread for new posts and more of the story?

9. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    You guys are right. Lemme see what I can conjure up. (I know, I know. I've said it before. But honest, I'm going to go right into Notepad when I get offline and see if anything comes to me.)

10. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    Okay, it's late and it's not much, but I'm trying to limber up the TYML muscles again...

----------
    EN ROUTE TO ANOSHAM, NEW TIMELINE

Amidala knew she had to leave her husband's arms some time, but every time she tried to pull away, she was gripped by a need to take just a little more comfort in him. There was a panicked thought -- _This could be the last day I can feel his arms around me_--followed by an instinct to draw him even closer than he'd been before. She could feel him feeling the same thing. It was the same as it had been in the early days of their marriage, when Ani had still gone out on missions with Qui-Gon, hunting down the last of Palpatine's minions, driving them into the Outer Rim if they couldn't be destroyed entirely. She'd lived constantly with the fear that he might not come home then, and she'd lived with the shadow of that other fear, the fear of the mask and the fire.

They had both feared Vader with a kind of superstitious dread in those days, but Qui-Gon would not allow Ani to simply avoid the war or the high emotions it evoked. Over and over, he'd stressed it--_You must be tested, Ani, and you must have the strength to pass, or all will have been for naught when you cross over._ Then at last, the horrible day on Naboo, the day of Palpatine's last stand...

"Amidala?"

"I'm all right."

"You're thinking of Naboo."

"You know that annoys me," she said, though they both knew it didn't, not really, not after all these years.

"We should have realized he'd go home, and stopped him before he got there."

"Naboo is in better shape here than it was in the other timeline."

This was ritual, and they both knew it. When Palpatine and his second apprentice--a boy neither of them knew--had appeared on Naboo, they had despoiled it in a way that was perhaps not as thorough as that other timeline, but which had been focused deliberately on creating hateful memories of all the things they'd loved best. The sacking and befouling of the Palace. The slaughter of human families in the countryside, and Gungans in their sacred place. The waterfall had run red, and the swamps never lost the smell of death.

Ani had been home on furlough, and Palpatine had allowed it to be sweet until the end, for the sake of destroying that memory. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan sensed the assault and immediately set out for Naboo, but they arrived too late. Ani couldn't be three places at once. The attack on the Gungans had come first, and he ran to their aid, then ran to the humans. Both times, he was able to save only a handful. He brought them back to Theed, only to find Palpatine ensconsed in the Palace (where Amidala still kept a wing, though she'd already begun to separate herself from it). He'd made his headquarters in their private chambers, and it was clear that he'd intended to desecrate their marriage further, but Amidala was not a helpless maiden waiting for rescue. The fight in the halls was bloody, and ultimately lost, but it bought time. The apprentice had just dragged her in when Ani got back. Palpatine promptly lost interest in her as anything but a goad, while he pitted Ani against his apprentice.

Amidala didn't know how close she had come to Vader that day, and she didn't want to know. All she knew was that Ani had managed to defeat the apprentice, and that he did so without falling (at least not irretrievably). Palpatine had escaped, but the three Jedi had led the Naboo army in ending the melee. Ani had spent that night shaking with rage and fear, but he'd controlled it. He was knighted the next day. He immediately requested the creche master's position--he'd always told her that he thought that was where he should be--and Qui-Gon had gotten behind it. That had apparently been enough of a test. He hadn't fought a battle since.

Until now.

"I fight battles every day, Amidala."

"Fighting with Mace Windu over money for parental visitation doesn't count."

She felt him grin against her head. "You've clearly never duelled with Master Windu in that particular ve

11. starwarsfan1000

starwarsfan1000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 2000
  12. Vee

Vee Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 16, 2000
    Yay! Excellent post, and a wonderful return.

13. Lilu

Lilu Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    It's alive!! There has been a post! - and a good one at that. :D

I'm so glad, I really thought this story had become one with the Force.

14. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Oh wow, a post. Thanks.

15. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    Popping it up...

16. Ashamaphone

Ashamaphone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    :eek: How could I have *missed* that post?! It was *great*!!!

17. I love Sci Fi

Jan 21, 2000
    wow! Great! I like!

18. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
  19. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    More please.

20. Darth Zane

Darth Zane Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 21, 2000
  21. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    <trying very hard to still shaking of hand, valiantly restraining myself from doing another post just for the heck of it, since it's not my turn.... >

:D

22. Analath

Analath Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2001
    go for it. this thread has been neglected far too long. ^_^

23. JediGaladriel

Sep 3, 1999
    But it's not my turn, and I don't want to write this one solo. :)

24. Moriah Organa of Alderaan

Moriah Organa of Alderaan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 1999
    I was just going to drop a little note explaning my inspiration had dried up when suddenly it started flowing again.
    Seems to me this trip has lasted long enough - time for *somebody* to get to Anosham, (If this is not what the planet is supposed to look like I apologize).

"Nice place!" Han raised his voice to be heard over the winds whistling through the stone plinths.

"Oh I don't know," Lando answered, "I mean if you happen to *like* blood red skies and cold, rocky deserts..."

Leia ignored the banter. Standing between Mother and Sabe, all three of them watching Luke anxiously.

He stood eyes closed, face stilled in Jedi concentration. Shook his head. "No - I don't feel anything. Ben?"

Leia supressed a start as General Kenobi materialized beside him. "I agree, Luke, we're alone here."

"You sure of that?" from Han.

A quick, sidelong glance and faint smile from the General. "Yes."

"If the Emperor were here we'd sense him." Luke said with quiet certainty.

"It would be impossible to miss." Obi-Wan agreed, seemed to shiver folding his arms in his sleeves.

Han shrugged, holstered his blaster. "So, now what?"

Everybody looked at Mother. She spread her hands. "They - our other selves - will arrive at their version of Anosham soon, if they're not already there," to the General, "they believe Palpatine will be waiting for them."

"Perhaps he is. Perhaps the Emperor is on his way here now. We must be patient and trust the Force to show us what we must do."

Mother smiled. "You sound like Qui-Gon."

The phantom's eyes seemed to twinkle. "I try."

25. LeiaSkywalker

LeiaSkywalker Jedi Master star 3

Mar 31, 2001
    Finally, a post! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.