main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thats a good bit of luck!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by -hand_solo-, Aug 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -hand_solo-

-hand_solo- Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2003

How come whenever anyone goes to a new planet they find what they are looking for straight away?

I.e. Luke finds Yoda in ESB, Obi finds the cloners in AOTC, and so on.

What are the chances? Come on, were talking about whole planets here!!!

It's always bugged me about star wars. Surley all it needed was a quick scene where they look for high power sources or concentration of life readings or something. Its just the randomness that bothers me.

What do you think?

2. TIE1138

TIE1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    The easy copp-out answer would be that "The force is with them".

But whose to say that they really did find their destinations instantaniously? It's possible that they could've spent hours, possibly days searching for the locations - save for Luke on Dagobah who luckily (or by the will of the Force if you will) crash lands conveniently around Yoda's proximity. Just because we don't see it on screen, that doesn't mean it never took place.

3. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Yoda took Luke where he wanted the boy to land.

Obi-Wan went to the major settlement.

-Seldon

4. FORCEFED

FORCEFED Jedi Master star 5

Nov 27, 2002
    yeah. that's screwy.

i agree.
    but you have to suspend your disbelief.

5. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Even better, and what makes it even harder, is the tendency of SW planets to each be only one ecosystem/environment. Naboo seems to be the only exception.

Tattooine = A planet-wide desert
    Dagobah = A planet-wide swamp
    Hoth = A planet-wide glacier
    Coruscant = A planet-wide city

So, if Yoda said to Obi-Wan: "Go to the desert planet of Tatooine you will. Find the Sith encampment in the vast, empty, sandy plain you will."

Obi Wan could wander an entire planet *several times over* looking for the exact spot in the entire barren wastes.

But then, isn't it funny how, in the old comic strips and serials, Buck Rogers caught on really fast as to how to pilot a spaceship propelled by anti-gravity beams, when al he'd had experience flying before was a dirigible?

Aaaaah - the convenience of pulp sci-fi!

6. Wraith729

Wraith729 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2001
    In ANH - the droids came about obi-wan by happenstance. They were wandering the desert, picked up by jawas and sold to luke who just happened to know Obi-Wan.

In ESB - Luke crash landed in the spot. Could it have been yoda who caused his ship to crash where it needed to be?

In ROTJ - The ewoks point out the back door to the bunker that needed to be blown up.

What in TPM are we talking about? Anakin? Again... happenstance.

AOTC - Obi-Wan landed near around the greatest concentration of starships.

How is this just luck?

7. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    They have sensors you know.
    No one will land in the middle of the desert, or the middle of an ice plain while looking for a city.

8. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    "Tattooine = A planet-wide desert"

It does have two suns, I can believe it. It must get close to them. I mean Mars is barren like Tatooine. If Mars was closer to our Sun they would be similar.

"Dagobah = A planet-wide swamp"
    I see your point.
    But who is to say the laws of GFFA are the same as ours? There are unknown factors which could change things.

"Hoth = A planet-wide glacier"
    If it contains water and is far from the sun, then I can believe it. It works. Makes sense to me.

"Coruscant = A planet-wide city"
    That concept is quite common in Science Fiction.
    It could happen. The oceans are drained and sent into space. Perhaps it had no oceans at all. A center of humanity, and alien culture in this case where the people kept building and expanding. In a cultural sense it is the center of the galaxy. I can believe it. After all we are talking about Galactic wide governments and energy fields which hold the unvierse together. Some things you have to take on faith. It is a different world from ours. One far, far away.

-Seldon

9. Axle-Starweilder

Axle-Starweilder Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 6, 2005
    in my experience there's no such thing as luck

10. Kroll429

Kroll429 Jedi Master star 1

Mar 22, 2001
    I've also thought about this and i have actually learned to just shrug it off and say its just a movie...but for some reason i can't do that with any thing else in these movies

P.S. if mars were closer to the sun it wouldn't be a desert planet...the ice caps would melt giving rise to oceans, changing the plantes entire eco system...also it has no matter how far away from the sun it is, it has to do with the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere, if you increace the carbon dioxide you will create global warming, thus raising the temp...

11. Ker-Soth

Ker-Soth Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 24, 2004
    Hey that P.S. reminds me of a planet, oh yeah! Ours!

12. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Europa, one of Jupiter's moons, isn't too different from Hoth. it's frozen, totally.

As for Kamino-what's to say they didn't melt their icecaps, thus submerging their planet?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.