main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Thats it, I'm leaving the JC..........

Discussion in 'Communications' started by malkieD2, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui Gon Jim23

Qui Gon Jim23 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 11, 2002
    Well, there is sarcasm against trolls, but that might dissapear soon too.

C'mon Sparky. There's no such thing as trolls. That's just an old wives' tale.

2. Spike_Spiegal

Spike_Spiegal Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    The dreaded Barry? Iceman? YOTS? Fairy tales? HA!

3. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    But the sarcasm in the goodbye threads is really the only fun left that's not against the rules in the JCC. You can't take that away from us.

You can be sarcastic elsewhere w/o bombarding other people's threads because you don't like them. I fail to see it any different than trolling. You're posting to specifically get a rise out of another person. While complaining about the thread (by posting in it) you're ensuring that it's life span will be longer.

4. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    You can be sarcastic elsewhere w/o bombarding other people's threads because you don't like them.

But when we try to be sarcastic to each other in our own threads those threads get locked as well. Sort of a catch-22, no?

5. Bria

May 15, 1999
    You can be sarcastic without being rude. The TOS asks you to respect other posters. When it comes across as if you're ripping on others here and insulting each other like it's going out of style, yeah, it's going to be locked. You may intend it as a joke, but it's not going to be universally read that way.

6. deltron_zero

deltron_zero Jedi Master star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Absolutely nothing is going to be universally read in one particular way. Reading, by it's very nature is a subjective act. So why don't we go by the way that the majority of people who, to at least some degree, have their wits about them are going to interpret something? Otherwise, we might as well just scrap the whole forum. Because there is always the possibility that someone could take anything the wrong way.

Bria, why don't we continue discussing this here?

7. Darth_OlsenTwins

Darth_OlsenTwins Jedi Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    The TOS asks you to respect other posters.

I'm under the obligation to respect all posters? I just thought it was the general guideline to respect their beliefs and opinions. I don't see how you can close a thread of friends trading friendly insults because other people, who were not involved, were offended. I understand the need to protect people from being flamed, but to suggest that they must be protected from the insults directed at someone else is taking that notion way too far.

8. Bria

May 15, 1999
    Yes, it is a general rule. However, when an entire thread is about friendly insulting, which really can read like flaming, it makes it appear that insulting anybody at that level is ok here and it is not. The occasional jab is fine, as I have said before.

9. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

What if the original post contained a disclaimer that it was all in good fun?

10. Dusty_Bin

Dusty_Bin Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 4, 2003
    Disclaimer: i will not be held responsible for anything i type as i am schizo.

no i'm not

yes, i am

no i'm not

yes i am

etc...........

well i used to be schizo but we're okay now

11. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Why Must People Lie Like This?

umm no. I won't be returning this time. Literally. You know I have to go and I frankly can't stand any of this anymore.
    -Attack_of_the_Ewoks

Oh look, he's back and posting. I know that there was a thread on this a while back, but I didnt know if the mods came to a decision on whether or not returning after a proclaimed leave would result in a ban as proposed. I see so many posters "leave" only to return in 2 or 3 days, and this is OK because? I know the whole if you dont like the thread dont post attitude but when the threads have no truth to them at all, then why are they even aloud?

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Well, one point is that some people simply change their minds along the way. Should that be a bannable offense? I would hope not.

However, repeatedly announcing that you're leaving the JC and then returning shortly thereafter is a different story, and contacting a forum moderator about it is a good way to go.

This doesn't need to become a dicusssion about any one person. If you have a problem with a specific member, just take it to an administrator or another moderator.

13. AssassinDroid21

AssassinDroid21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    That wasn't meant to be about just AOTE, he was just the latest poster to do so.

14. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    If a person makes a big deal out of their leaving, and then comes back soon after, that should be a bannable offense. Nothing permanent, but I would say a 48 hour at the minimum.

15. Stridarious

Stridarious Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 27, 2002
    However, repeatedly announcing that you're leaving the JC and then returning shortly thereafter is a different story, and contacting a forum moderator about it is a good way to go.

This doesn't need to become a dicusssion about any one person. If you have a problem with a specific member, just take it to an administrator or another moderator.

I think that announcing your leave and returning a couple of weeks later is a way of getting attention brought upon that person. They have no intention of leaving yet gaining attention.

16. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    It's better to pm all their friends(and tell them they're leaving) instead of creating drama.

17. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    I don't see much problem with saying you're leaving, but then returning shortly thereafter creates the whole 'crying wolf' situation where eventually nobody believes you. The one's that bother me are the 'I'm leaving' threads with so much drama that it comes across more like 'Goodbye cruel world'.

18. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    I don't see much problem with saying you're leaving, but then returning shortly thereafter creates the whole 'crying wolf' situation where eventually nobody believes you. The one's that bother me are the 'I'm leaving' threads with so much drama that it comes across more like 'Goodbye cruel world'.

You mean like the ones where the person who wrote it, acts like its the end of the world, and all in all makes it sound like he/she's going to kill themselves?

19. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    From what I see, if the goodbye thread is written by a person who has sincere intentions to leave (and usually, one is quite sure about some people who have gained a reputation for being the more "honest" people around), then there's nothing to be said. There are also the more dubious ones; for those, I would think that if you're not a close friend of that person, there is no real reason for you to wish that person goodbye anyway, so it shouldn't concern you.

And of course, if somebody claims to be going and return later on (and it's very obvious that it was a mere attention stunt, e.g. going away for 2 or 3 days - I think 3 months is a different case altogether), the best thing to do is simply to note down that the person's an attention seeker and know better than to be bothered if that person tries another stunt again.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. Yoda_yo_mama

Yoda_yo_mama Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 18, 2002
    the best thing to do is simply to note down that the person's an attention seeker and know better than to be bothered if that person tries another stunt again.

I must agree with this statement, which is why I usually dont' participate in such threads. The bad thing is some people still give these people what they want: negative attention; therefore, the annoying people come back for more and cause havoc.

I vote for a short ban for people like this.

21. Qui-Gon Generic

Qui-Gon Generic Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 25, 1999
    Here's a question from the opposite end of the spectrum:

What action needs to be taken for members who leave for an extended period of time without any fanfare at all, only to return months, maybe even years later.....and nobody remembers them?

Take me, for example. ;)

22. Stridarious

Nov 27, 2002
    What action needs to be taken for members who leave for an extended period of time without any fanfare at all, only to return months, maybe even years later.....and nobody remembers them?

Hmm...I don't think any actions are required, for they didn't make any big deal about it to begin with. :)

23. Porkins in a Speedo

Porkins in a Speedo Jedi Knight star 5

May 6, 1999
    [image=http://www.hostboard.com/ubb/smilies/animated/banghead.gif]

24. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001

If you leave without a "I'm leaving!!!1" thread, and then return later, I garuantee that all your previous JC friends will remember you. As for everyone else: they don't really matter, do they?

25. gundark

gundark Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 16, 1999
    Free Sarcasm.

[image=http://www.theexperiment.org/media/o2fist.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.