Amph That's Some Casting Director: "Catch Me If You Can" (2002)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Darth_Banal Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    It's a smart caper film with smart people.

Who never do any background checks on their employers. :p
  2. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    I thought they DID and it came up clean until Bishop spoke with the Russian "diplomat" and saw their old KGB files?

I thought they never checked out the building (which was demolished), but that's hardly SOP. ;)
  3. Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling

star 7
    No. I don't think they did. In one scene, Crease says, "Two government agents waltz right and and you just buy it?!"

Besides, the Sneakers really didn't have any reason not to check them, because the pay for the job they offered was quite substantial.

Did anyone ever get the joke at the beginning and end of the film? In an opening scene at the bank, a night watchman is watching an old movie on TV, and the character in that movie says, "And I opened that black box, and there was nothing there." Which is the same thing Ben Kingsley does at the end of the Sneakers movie.
  4. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    Sneakers, heh, the only thing I really remember about this was the blind guy driving a truck/van.
  5. Drew_Atreides Force Ghost

star 5
    ..oh yeah, "Sneakers" is one of my favourites, too.

Such an underrated film. I've shown it to SO many people who had never even heard of it before, and they come away loving it..

"My voice is my passport VERIFY"
  6. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Next: "Chaplin" (1992)

This must have been a very difficult film to cast, because the cast is very large, and the story is a true one, so you are casting people that the audience actually knows. I thought they did a very good job, most of the time.

The cast:

Robert Downey Jr. .... Charles Spencer 'Charlie' Chaplin
    Geraldine Chaplin .... Hannah Chaplin
    Paul Rhys .... Sydney Chaplin
    John Thaw .... Fred Karno
    Moira Kelly .... Hetty Kelly/Oona O'Neill
    Anthony Hopkins .... George Hayden
    Dan Aykroyd .... Mack Sennett
    Marisa Tomei .... Mabel Normand
    Penelope Ann Miller .... Edna Purviance
    Kevin Kline .... Douglas Fairbanks
    Maria Pitillo .... Mary Pickford
    Milla Jovovich .... Mildred Harris
    Kevin Dunn .... J. Edgar Hoover
    Deborah Moore .... Lita Grey (as Deborah Maria Moore)
    Diane Lane .... Paulette Goddard
    Nancy Travis .... Joan Barry
    James Woods .... Joseph Scott
    P.H. Moriarty .... Workhouse Official
    David Duchovny .... Rollie Totheroh
    David Totheroh .... Cameraman
    Jack Totheroh .... Cameraman
    Jack Ritschel .... William Randolph Hearst
    Heather McNair .... Marion Davies

I thought Marisa Tomei and Dan Ackroyd were good choices for Mabel Normand and Mack Sennett (Ackroyd and Sennett are both Canadian, for one thing). Kevin Kline makes a surprisingly effective Douglas Fairbanks, Sr. But Diane Lane is not quite up to Paulette Goddard's charm. Geraldine Chaplin, for a lot of reasons, is an effective Hannah Chaplin. As is Nancy Travis as Joan Barry (both women were schizophrenic).
  7. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    Downey Jr. was brilliant in this film. And it also features John Barry's best score, for my money.
  8. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Next: "Heat" (1995)

Very large cast, several of whom have become very famous indeed in the last ten years: Robert DeNiro; Al Pacino; Val Kilmer; Diane Venora; Amy Brenneman; Ashley Judd; Mykelti Williamson; Wes Studi; Dennis Haysbert; William Fichtner; Natalie Portman; Hank Azaria; and Jeremy Piven.
  9. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    Xander Berkely is also in one scene. And Ted Levine kind of changed his image (from whacked out serial killer to ultra-business like cop). Great cast.
  10. Drac39 Force Ghost

star 6
    Excellent movie,combining the two was a great idea.
  11. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    We should also hit Crimson Tide at one point. I saw the opening credits on TV the other day and couldn't believe how many much-more-famous-later people there were...
  12. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Okay, then, "Crimson Tide" (1995)

The cast included: Denzel Washington, Gene Hackman, George Dzundza, Viggo Mortensen, James Gandolfini, Rick Schroder, Steve Zahn, Ryan Philippe, and Jason Robards.
  13. Rouge Null Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    You have to set an example even in the face of stupidity. Now everyone who reads comic books knows that the Kirby Silver Surfer is the only TRUE Silver Surfer, now am I right or wrong?
    One of my favorite lines.
  14. Django211 Force Ghost

star 4
    Tony Scott has an eye for young talent. Along with Crimson Tide, take a look at the casts for True Romance, Enemy of the State, The Fan, The Last Boy Scout, and Beverly Hills Cop II. Brad Pitt, Benicio Del Toro, James Gandolfini, Jack Black, Chris Rock, Halle Berry, John C. Reilly, Seth Green, & Barry Pepper have all had small parts in Scott's films and gone on to bigger work. When you watch a Tony Scott film keep an eye on the bit players because most likely you'll be seeing them in the near future.
  15. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Another Michael Mann film:

"The Insider" (1999)

The cast included Al Pacino, Russell Crowe, Christopher Plummer, Diane Venora, Philip Baker Hall, Lindsey Crouse, Debi Mazar, Colm Feore, Michael Gambon, Gina Gershon, Rip Torn, Pete Hammill, Michael Moore, and Wings Hauser.
  16. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    Pacino, Crowe, Plummer and Venora were all at the absolute top of their games. Plummer's best performance maybe, defintely CRowe's and Pacino is as good as anything he's done before. Brilliant movie.

I forgot Michael Moore was in it I guess . . . who did he play?
  17. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    What he always plays: himself. Though it was a pretty mediocre performance.
  18. rogue_wookiee Jedi Youngling

star 6
    Better than Gladiator?
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    My God, only by about a million miles. There's something to be said for underplaying and yet he knows when to really hit it. The final decision and the ride to the courthouse are the finest moments of Crowe's career. He only got the Oscar for Gladiator because he didn't get it for Insider.
  20. Latorski Force Ghost

star 4
    I've gotta agree that this is Crowe's best performance to date, better than A Beautiful Mind or Gladiator. The overall cast is excellent, especially Pacino and Plummer, and Crowe blows them all away. I saw on imdb that Mann also considered Val Kilmer. I wonder what such a role would have done for Kilmer's career.
  21. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Next: "Reversal of Fortune" (1990)

The cast included: Glenn Close, Jeremy Irons, Ron Silver, Annabelle Sciorra, Uta Hagen, Fisher Stevens, Christine Baranski, Felicity Huffman, Malachy McCourt and Julie Hagerty.
  22. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 7
    Irons was great. I'd forgotten a lot of those other people.
  23. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Next: "Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle" (1992)

The cast of this movie included: Jennifer Jason Leigh, Campbell Scott, Matthew Broderick, Peter Gallagher, Jennifer Beals, Andrew McCarthy, Wallace Shawn Martha Plimpton, Sam Robards, Lili Taylor, Gwyneth Paltrow, Nick Cassavetes, Heather Graham, Steven Baldwin, Rebecca Miller, Stanley Tucci, Keith Carradine, Jon Favreau, Cindi Lauper and Tom Robbins.

Directed by Alan Rudolph, who is sort of a poor-man's Robert Altman. Like Altman, he seems to have uncanny ability to get actors to act in his movies for very little. Whether they are well cast or not is another question. Jennifer Jason Leigh and Campbell Scott, two actors not famed for lightness, charisma, or humour, as Dorothy Parker and Robert Benchley? Matthew Broderick as Charlie McArthur? (An example of undercasting rather than miscasting). Lili Taylor as Edna Ferber? Keith Carradine as Will Rogers? Jon Favreau as Elmer Rice? The man's mad. :p
  24. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Next: "Sleepy Hollow" (1999)

The cast included: Johnny Depp, Christina Ricci, Miranda Richardson, Michael Gambon, Casper Van Dien, Jeffrey Jones, Christopher Lee, Richards Griffiths, Ian McDiarmid, Michael Gough, Lisa Marie, Christopher Walken, and Martin Landau.
  25. Latorski Force Ghost

star 4
    Good cast although I didn't really care for the movie.

Gotta love seeing so many Sith in one place.