Amph That's Some Casting Director: "Catch Me If You Can" (2002)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Zaz, Jul 19, 2005.

1. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5
    Gotta love seeing so many Sith in one place.
    Yeah, there was Ian McDiarmid and Ray Parks in there, right?
    Pity they didn't have any scenes together though.

I have to say Burton's job, in terms of directing the British actors,
    had to be pretty easy. He had the absolutely cream of the crop of
    British thespians at his disposal. These people have all been acting
    for decades and are among the best of the best. Just these three alone:
    Michael Gough, Michael Gambon, and Ian McDiarmid? Wow.

That is SOME casting director!
  2. Latorski Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, there was Ian McDiarmid and Ray Parks in there, right?

Christopher Lee too
  3. rumsmuggler Chosen One

star 7
    I think Nick Gillard was also the stunt coordinator for Sleepy Hollow. I haven't seen that film in a good while. I'm gonna have to watch it sometime in the near future.
  4. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Next: "True Romance" (1993)

The cast included: Christian Slater, Val Kilmer, Patricia Arquette, Michael Rapaport, Bronson Pinchot, Gary Oldman, Brad Pitt, Dennis Hopper, Tom Sizemore, Christopher Walken, Samuel L. Jackson, Saul Rubinek, James Gandalfini, Conchata Ferrell, Chris Penn and Jack Black.
  5. Django211 Force Ghost

star 4
    I believe Jack Black was cut out of "True Romance" but turns up in the deleted scenes of the DVD. Tony Scott has always been good at creating a cast with up & comers mixed with established talent. Although his brother gets all the accolades I think Tony is actually better with actors. However Tony works in more formula films and he seems content with that.
  6. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    He was cut, yes. But he was still part of the cast.

Next: "Bonfire of the Vanities"

Directed by Brian DaPalma, with no less than five producers, and a huge cast including: Tom Hanks, Bruce Willis, Melanie Griffith, Kim Cattrall, Saul Rubinek, Morgan Freeman, F. Murray Abraham, Kristin Dunst, Rita Wilson, Andre Gregory, Robert Stephens, Richard Libertini, Richard Belzer, Camryn Manheim, Malachy McCourt, George Plimpton, John Blyth Barrymore, and Geraldo Rivera; and it still stunk.

Amazing. :p
  7. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    This one is so obvious, I can't believe that I didn't think of it previously:

"American Graffiti" (1973)

You have to remember that at this time, only Howard was known to the public, and then only as an ex-child star. The cast included:

Ron Howard, Richard Dreyfuss, Cindy Williams, Candy Clark, Paul LeMat, Charles Martin Smith, MacKenzie Phillips, Wolfman Jack, Bo Hopkins, Harrison Ford, Kathleen Quinlan, Kay Lenz, and Suzanne Somers.
  8. TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus

star 6
    It certainly made Dreyfuss a star, and helped Ford well on his way to becoming one.
  9. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
  10. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back" (2001)

The cast included Jason Mewes, Kevin Smith, Jeff Anderson, Brian O'Halloran, Shannon Elizabeth, Eliza Dushku, Ali Larter, Will Ferrell, Jason Lee, Judd Nelson, George Carlin, Carrie Fisher, Seann William Scott, Jon Stewart, Gus Van Sant, Chris Rock, Jamie Kennedy, Wes Craven, Shannon Doherty, Mark Hammill, Dietrich Bader, Alanis Morrisette, Matt Damon, James Van der Beek, and Linda Fiorentino.

Betting that most of them worked for nothing.
  11. Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus

star 6
    great casting all around. Will Ferrel's character was one of my favorite characters in the movie
  12. Soontir-Fel Force Ghost

star 5
    Jon Stewart for teh gorram win.
  13. Leonard_Shelby Force Ghost

star 6
    Uh...Linda Fiorentino was in this film? I certainly don't remember that...which scene? I do know that KS said that he doesn't really want to work with her ever again, bein' that she's so difficult to work with...

Great cast, great movie.
  14. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I'm guessing she was in it because Smith had seen "The Last Seduction." If you see it, you'll understand. :D
  15. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    And a nice nod to Land of the Lost with him. :)

Marshal Willandholly indeed. :)
  16. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Next: "Sense & Sensibility" (1995) (dir. Ang Lee)

The cast included Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Alan Rickman, Hugh Grant, Greg Wise, Gemma Jones, Tom Wilkinson, Robert Hardy, Imogen Stubbs, Imelda Staunton, and Hugh Laurie.
  17. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    Alan Rickman and Hugh Laurie were both so perfect that I can't ever even think of anyone else in their roles.
  18. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    A very strong male cast, really. And I don't agree that Grant was ill-cast.
  19. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    I actually think Grant was very good as well.
  20. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Next: "Young Frankenstein" (1974)

The cast included: Gene Wilder, Madeleine Kahn, Peter Boyle, Terri Garr, Marty Feldman, Kenneth Mars, Liam Dunn, Richard Haydn, Cloris Leachmann, and Gene Hackman.

And then there was John Carradine as Beaufort Frankenstein (scenes deleted); Mel Brooks (voices of a werewolf, a cat hit by a dart & Victor Frankenstein) and a bit part was played by Clement von Franckenstein (yes, that was his real name)

21. Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece

star 8
    And I have to say everybody on that list, with the exception of Hackman, did the best work of their career in this film.

Possible exception of Boyle, based on Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, but still Feldman, Wilder, Leachman, Kahn, Garr, Mars . . . never were these guys better.
  22. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Yes, it's a great movie, and the high point of Wilder's career.
  23. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    A heavyweight cast wasting their time: "Postcards From the Edge" (1990):

Meryl Streep, Shirley Maclaine, Dennis Quaid, Gene Hackman, Richard Dreyfuss, Rob Reiner, Conrad Bain, Annette Bening, Gary Morton, Simon Callow, CCH Pounder, Oliver Platt, Dana Ivey, Anthony Heald, Michael Ontkean, J. D. Souther, Peter Onorati and Douglas Roberts.
  24. JohnWesleyDowney Force Ghost

star 5

I read somewhere that Gene Hackman modeled his portrayal of the director
    in "Postcards" on Richard Donner, who directed (of course) him in the
    Superman movie(s).
  25. Zaz Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    "Scrooged" (1988)

A very, very large cast, which included Bill Murray, Karen Allen, John Forsythe, John Glover, Bob Goldthwait, David Johansen, Carol Kane, Robert Mitchum, Michael J. Pollard, Alfre Woodard, Mabel King, Jamie Farr, Buddy Hackett, Pat McCormick, Kathy Kinney, Wendy Malick, Susan Isaacs, and Peter Onorati.