Characters "That's Two You Owe Me, Junior"- Han and Luke characterization, friendship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by dancing_star, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Jedi_Emeritus Jedi Knight

star 1
    Well, it took longer than I had intended, but here is my response to challenge #2, entitled Coming Home. Thanks for the great challenge material!
  2. dancing_star Jedi Knight

star 4
    Thank YOU for the wonderful response!! [:D]

And to everyone, if you check out pg 1, you can see I've finally started working on the index of Han and Luke friendship fics. I've got LOTS more to do, but if you have any fics I'd sure appreciate it if you'd let me know! :) Either pm me or post them in the thread- either way would be great! Thanks so much everyone! @};-
  3. ardavenport Jedi Master

star 4
    Aaaaaaaah, a new index. I don't know of any specific Han and Luke friendship stories, but have you tried Lazy's Link Machine for looking for things? It was most helpful finding things for the Qui-Gon Index.
  4. brodiew Jedi Master

star 5
    Do you have a new challenge in the works, dancing_star?
  5. dancing_star Jedi Knight

star 4
    Wow, thanks!! That is a big help!![face_dancing]

Hmmm... [face_thinking]

[face_idea]

How about three? :D
    [color=00cc00]
    Challenge #4: [/color]
    It's a rainy day and Luke and Han are bored. Must feature at least 7 of the following: An explosion, brownies (or a desert of some kind), videogames, a dripping wet wookie, a clumsy See-Threepio, a fire extinguisher, someone laughing until they can't breathe, frosting, some kind of animal (at least reference to), and fighter ship toys. Have fun!![face_mischief][face_laugh]

[color=cc0033]
    Challenge #5:[/color]
    Han takes care of Luke during his first hangover. And Han has to help Luke. Not make everything worse. :p

[color=6699ff]
    Challenge #6: [/color]
    And this one's an oldie but a goodie- the Hoth rescue. I can't resist. It's like the ultimate act of friendship and sacrifice. [face_love] Can span from where Han finds Luke to when Luke's recovering in the medbay.

I have a new discussion topic too but I'll wait to post it for now. I can't wait to see the stories everyone comes up with!![face_dancing] [:D]
  6. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Force Ghost

star 7
    Oh, star!!! Fun-ness! The hilarity, the sweetness. [face_dancing] :D :*
  7. dancing_star Jedi Knight

star 4
    Me again. :D

Thought I'd post my little discussion thingy while I have the time. :p It goes back to the first discussion, I think, on this thread about Han and his planned departure from Hoth- whether he's leaving for good or not. The following is a conversation from an ESB radio drama book I have- the scene in the hangar right before the Battle of Hoth. I put a few key parts in bold.

Han: Off! Turn it off! It's overloadin', Chewie! Turn it off!

Chewbacca: HOWLS

Han: Now don't start in! Let's just fix the ship, huh?

Sound: Tool sounds as Han works.

Han: (MUTTERING TO HIMSELF AS HE WORKS) "Evacuation," the call it? "Run for your life," is more like it. (TO CHEWIE) Now do it right this time, Chewie! I'd like to leave some empty air where the Falcon used to be!

Chewbacca: (OFF) AGREES

Luke: (APPROACHING) Well, well, well; so ya haven't gotten around to junking this bucket yet, huh?

Han: That's gonna cost you, next time you want a joyride, Junior

Chewbacca: (APPROACHING) IS ALSO HIGHLY INSULTED

Han: And Chewie says you ride with the ballast from here on in.

Luke: LAUGHS

Han: Where ya goin' in the funny suit, Commander?

Luke: Snowspeeder. You heard about the Imperials?

Han: Why else would we have four tools in each hand? This one's gonna be rough, pal.

Luke: The command center says we've got a whole starfleet on our hands

Han: Starfleet?

Chewbacca: WOOFS

Han: Got any more good news?

Luke: Kinda short on that right now. I've got a bad feeling I know who it is out there.

Han: What d'ya think, Vader'd send in the second team? You always say the Force favors freedom. We got a final exam here.

Luke: It doesn't necessarily work that way, Han.

Han: I thought Ben Kenobi had a corner on that kind of talk. By the way, Luke: You probably know by now, but those X-wings of yours have a blind spot, just aft and underneath, very narrow. But if a TIE fighter makes a long approach-- it could happen, so keep an eye on it and keep movin'--

Luke: You wanna wipe my nose, too?

Han: (LAUGHS) Y?know, you looked a lot better when you used to wear your blast shield down over your face?

Luke: (LAUGHS) Chewie, don?t let Han wreck this crate, all right?

Chewbacca: GROWLS

Luke: And I?ll see you both- ooof! Chewie! Put me down! (LAUGHS)

Chewbacca: HOOTS SADLY AS HE LIFTS LUKE UP, HUGGING HIM GOOD-BYE.

Han: Look, if you two wanna be alone, I could go?

Chewbacca: HE RELEASES LUKE

Luke: Ooouch! Wookiee good-byes are pretty impressive

Han: What?s the evacuation plan?

Luke: We go in groups, one transport and two fighters at a time

Han: So everybody?s scheduled for an evacuation ship? The command center people, too?

Luke: Yeah?her, too, Han.

Han: ?Her? who?

Luke: Why don?t you just try and guess? The Wookiee?ll tell you when you hit it, right, Chewie?

Chewbacca: SAYS YES
    Han: Why do I get the sudden urge to put you back in that medical center?

P.A. System: Rogue Flight, briefings begin in one minute.

Luke: That?s me. Watch out for yourselves, you two.

Han: That?s our life?s work. And don?t forget: No heroics, just?

Han and Luke: ?Fly it out and bring it back.?

Luke: I know

Han: So I finally taught you something

Luke: ?Just ?cause your good at it doesn?t mean you?re gonna make any money!? Recognize the quote, Solo?

Han: Quit throwin? it in my face.

Luke (MOVING OFF) See you later, you crook!

Han: Stay sharp!

Luke: Bye Chewie!

Chewbacca: SAYS SO LONG

Sound: Hangar sounds fade

Cool little piece. I just thought I'd share it because (to me at least) it sounds like Han will be sticking around after the battle. I don't know though. I'd love to hear everyone's opinions on this! :) [face_batting]

And Jade_eyes: [:D]!!!

/>/>
  8. dancing_star Jedi Knight

star 4
    [face_worried]
    Up!
    We need some discussion going! Anyone care to take on any of the challenges? [face_batting] :p Or discuss the previous post? Or start a new topic? :D
    Those challenges are kind of difficult...[face_plain][face_thinking] If you'd like, you can just take the idea and leave out the part about "pick __ of the following to be included." I don't care. :) I'll take any friendship stories and discussion you have! [face_dancing][face_love] I might just take a stab at a challenge myself. :D
  9. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Actually, I was thinking of submitting The Virtue of Bad Habits to the archive. Would anyone like to beta?
  10. Myriad_Daydreams Jedi Knight

star 4
    Here is my response to Challenge # 6: Maybe :D
  11. Jedi_Emeritus Jedi Knight

star 1
    I could have a go at it if you haven't already found someone.
  12. dancing_star Jedi Knight

star 4
    I'd love to put it in the index! [face_love] It was a wonderful fic- and everyone if you haven't read it yet, go check it out! [face_dancing] Whenever you're ready to have it submitted just pm me or post in the thread. :)

And a fabulous response it is!! [face_love][face_dancing] Check this one out too everyone, if you haven't already. Thanks, Myriad for the wonderful fic and for doing my little challenge![:D]@};-

Anyone got any good discussion?[face_batting] Challenge ideas? :D Fics to submit? [face_dancing] What's everyone think of the radio drama script? [face_thinking]
  13. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I actually meant fanfic.theforce.net.
  14. dancing_star Jedi Knight

star 4
    :oops: Sorry! [face_blush] 8-} Can I add it to the index here anyway? [face_blush]
  15. ardavenport Jedi Master

star 4
    Hmmmmmmm, I don't have any challenge ideas, but I was wondering...

...is Han Luke's sidekick? Or is Luke Han's sidekick?

16. dancing_star Jedi Knight

star 4
    Hmmm... Good question! [face_thinking]

I guess I always think of Chewie being Han's sidekick, and Luke and Han as being friends, brothers, who will support and help each other whenever needed. Never thought of the actual term 'sidekick' before, but that's just my opinion. :p When one's in trouble, the other is right there to the rescue, (although in the movies, Han does most of the rescuing [face_laugh]) so I guess you could say they were both each other's sidekick? :D *shrugs* Good question!! [face_thinking] Anyone else care to discuss? [face_batting]
  17. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Force Ghost

star 7
    I think of them all as sidekicks to each other LOL for different reasons and from different origins--but they'd do anything for each other and pal around... :D Luke has "sidekicks" among the Rogues probably but they're not as tight as he and Han. :) How'd the sidekick thingy change after Han got married? o_O Then after L&M got together [face_dancing] they could do things as couples--but there's nothing worse than being a third wheel ... that's why in fanfics at least Leia's always trying to set Luke up [face_laugh]
  18. brodiew Jedi Master

star 5
    fights...off...Luke hangover bunny...
  19. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    I agree with Jade_eyes. I think each of them plays a sidekick role in hiw own right when necessary.
  20. dancing_star Jedi Knight

star 4
    Yeah, I agree. :) They all are like sidekicks to each other. That's a great way to put it! :D

:eek: No!! Don't fight it! [face_shame_on_you] :p

We need some new discussion here, so here's a new question-

How are Han and Luke similar and how are they different? [face_thinking]:D

21. dancing_star Jedi Knight

star 4
    Upping this in case anyone missed the latest discussion question: ;)

How are Han and Luke similar and how are they different? [face_thinking]:D [face_batting]

22. dancing_star Jedi Knight

star 4
    Up! [face_batting] Anyone care to to discuss? :D
  23. DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master

star 9
    Well, where to begin?

They're similar in that they're loyal, they're pilots, they're stubborn, they love Leia, they don't give up easily...
    Other than that, they're different.
  24. Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    well, they were both thrown into the fight against the Empire. Luke -- mostly willingly after his Aunt and Uncle's deaths. Han due to the Falcon being taken into the Death Star by tractor beam. :p And yes, they're both pilots, loyal, they love Leia (though in different ways). I think they're both stubborn, too. :p

25. ardavenport Jedi Master

star 4
    Um, Han and Luke might both be pilots, but I have a lot of trouble picturing Han in a fighter. I'm sure he can do it, but my guess is that it's not his preferred mode of travel. Han pilots to get to somewhere. Luke might just want to get in a ship and go fast.

Han obviously has more maturity in ANH, but Luke has more or less caught up there by ROTJ. Both of them are mature by experience, but Luke is way ahead of Han on thinking ahead.

Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.