Characters "That's Two You Owe Me, Junior"- Han and Luke characterization, friendship

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by dancing_star, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    Totally agree with the stuff posted here so far! :) Especially the stubborn part! :p[face_laugh]

[face_thinking] I thought a good way to compare/contrast their personalities might be through a survey.
    So I give you my fic: Survey Says:D

This was so fun to write. I'd like to do one for other time periods too- like say after ROTJ and see if some of their answers have changed. And I'd love to read any one else's if they'd like to give it a try :) - I'm sure you can come up with something better than mine! :p ;)
  2. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    I can't remember--is there a current challenge?
  3. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    Well, technically all the challenges are "current", as there's no deadline. :p
    I'd love to see another fic from you!! [face_batting] Or you could try a survey like I did. :)
  4. celine Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hmmm...how are they alike and how are they different? They're both hot! LOL.:D

Okay, couldn't resist...serious dicussion now.

Well, I think that Han and Luke were written as foils to one another, two characters who contrast each other sharply to emphasize one another's character traits--works beautifully--Sam and Al (Quantum Leap), Willow and Madmartigan,etc.

I feel that they are both good, loyal, compassionate people--though Luke tends to wear it on his sleeve more and Han tries to cover it up because he perceives it as weakness in himself.

I think Han is more scarred by his circumstances than Luke. Luke can make peace with things and let them go, but Han holds on to them. That's why he's as "hard" as he is in ANH, he's been shaped by his past. It takes him 3 movies to come to terms with it, which is when we see him "soften."

5. Neon Star Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Just had to dig this up. I dearly love the relationship between Han and Luke. They seem more like siblings then the twins do in some ways.

As to how they're different and alike....They are opposites in a lot of ways, Han has seen the worse and done his fair share of it, while Luke hasn't till later. Luke doesn't handle shattering truths as well as Han tends to, he's not as harden emotionally, and he's got a lot of faith in the galaxy. Han tends to take things as they come, adapting as he needs to, and he's got a lot of doubts about what to trust and what not to. That sets their relationship into the big brother/little brother scheme that it is. Han knows how Luke is, how trusting he is, and seems to want to protect that while revealing the darker parts of the galaxy so Luke isn't too unprepared. They're alike in that they're both good men, in their ways, and both have a sense of justice, Han's is just a bit more tilted.

Of course, just going off the movies, a few comics and early EU, not later EU on this.
  6. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    I agree. Luke and Han are a brotherly pair, with Han playing the older brother and Luke the younger.

It's a shame we get so little of it in the movies. You see it best when Han and Luke come together at Jabba's place in ROTJ, just after Luke kills the rancor. I like that scene. :)

7. celine Jedi Knight

star 2
    "How we doin'?"

"Same as always."

"That bad, huh?"[face_laugh]
  8. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    I'm working on finishing a hangover piece I started a few weeks ago. No promises, but I hope to post some time soon.
  9. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    Is there an update in the offing, dancing_star?

New discussion or challenges?
  10. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_thinking] Hmm...

Well, in honor of Mark Hamill's birthday (yesterday), maybe a birthday fic would be appropriate.[face_idea] It could be either Luke (and Leia's) or Han's birthday. [face_batting]

Wish I could say I had some more ideas other than that, but I don't right now. :( Feel free to submit any if you have some though! :) :D And I will post too, if any inspiration strikes. ;)

I'd love to read ANY story- challenge or no challenge- that features the friendship/brother bond between Luke and Han. [face_love] So feel free to write them! [face_batting] ;)
  11. ardavenport Force Ghost

star 4
    I noticed that 'Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor' is supposed to be out at the end of December. Since it's set between OT movies, I hope there will be more of Luke and Han in the early friendship.

And I did do a Han and Luke story for the last Monday Mush Mania challenge, His Father's Lightsaber.
  12. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    "His Father's Lightsaber" was great :D And I second that emotion--better have some great moments of buds chillin' [face_laugh] =P~ for my Luke and I hope there'll be some serious H&L snark :D I have an idea star... doesn't have to be a challenge per se--what if Han and/or Luke helps the other out with a wedding anniversary surprise with hilarious and mushy results??? :) [face_dancing] @};-
  13. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    I loved your story ardavenport!! [face_love] It was so well done!! Thank you for that lovely glimpse at Han and Luke's friendship.[:D] I haven't been indexing lately though. [face_blush] I'll try and get it up now, along with brodiew's "Hangover"- another wonderful fic!! :D[face_love] And Jade_eyes, that's a terrific idea!! [face_dancing] I'd love to read anyone's entry if they decide to give it a try. [face_batting]

EDIT: the index has been updated, but I know there's many more wonderful friendship fics out there I don't have yet, so feel free to submit them! ;)
  14. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
  15. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
  16. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    Bumping this up! [face_whistling]
    I'd love to see any holiday fics featuring our boys, :D but I don't have a challenge idea at the time.[face_thinking] :confused: If anyone has any ideas, fics, or general discussion feel free to post them,[face_batting] and I'll do the same! ;)
  17. brodiew Force Ghost

star 5
    This thread needs a real boost!

With dancing_star's approval, I thought of a new discussion topic.

What do you think, in wake of their adventures together, makes Han take responsibility for Luke. How and why would Han consider Luke his "little brother"?

That said, new challenge may be in order as well. PonyTricks has written many AU stories that put our favorite characters in crazy situations. Let's take the Han/Luke friendship to another dimension, literally. :p I challenge you to put Han and Luke in an AU, where they are still friends, but other elements of SW are a little, or a lot, different.

To give you an second option, I challenge you to write a story in which Han and Luke are sharing a day out at a sporting event. Could there be a better man to man, buddy setting?

What do you think?
  18. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    I think they're awesome challenges!![face_dancing] Thanks so much brodiew! :cool:
    Soooo... any takers? [face_mischief] I'd love to see what people think about the discussion question. [face_thinking] I've always wondered that too! :)
  19. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Hee!!! Awesome challenges!!!! :D PT takes the trophy in strange AUs... :D :)

The discussion question... I think what makes Han feel responsible for Luke is twofold... he's had various ones take up for him in sticky situations and knows what that's like on the receiving end... and Luke being LUke--who wouldn't want to help him out a bit? Plus, Han's not the hardened cynic he wants to project LOL he knew the injustices the Empire put over on the common people and had a sense of justice as well.

:)
  20. LASOS Jedi Knight

star 2
    Han is definitely not the hardened cynic that he pretends to be. :) And I think Jade_eyes is definitely right, Han does know what it's like to have someone stick up for him. Maybe Chewie looks at Han as a little brother, so Han feels that it's only right to pay it forward. Sometimes, I dance around this theory that Han once had a little brother of his own that Luke reminds him of, so he can't help but want to take up for the kid. But that's just me throwing out the majority of the EU, sooo....

As for the story idea, I'm actually writing an AU right now called Bad Advice for Secret Affairs where Han is an Imperial lieutenant and assigned to be Leia's bodyguard on Coruscant. I haven't gotten to this chapter yet in the postings, but Luke, Leia, and Han will all meet, and though Luke is the same naive Jedi-in-training that we see in ANH and Han is very obviously the enemy, they will become friends. I'll put a little note in here when I get to that part in the story.

I'd love to see someone do a sporting event story!!! That's such a good idea, brodiew!
  21. mavjade Fanfic & New Movies Manager On Vacation

Manager
    star 5
    What do you think, in wake of their adventures together, makes Han take responsibility for Luke. How and why would Han consider Luke his "little brother"?
    Interesting question! I think that Han saw this naive kid who had been sheltered and didn't really know a lot about the galaxy, who was thrust into the middle of it and since Han isn't the scoundrel he thinks he is, he saw that and took him under his wing. When they met in Mos Eisley was he just out for the money, sure, but then his heart kicked in and he saw something he could believe in, that could not only change his life but he could help change someone elses. I'm sure he remembered being young and so lost in the galaxy and look where he ended up... with a price on his head. Maybe he figured he could help keep Luke out of that life.

I'll have to think on the challenge(s) and see what I can come up with!
  22. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow.
    It's been awhile. [face_doh] I even let this thing got locked- sorry about that. [face_blush]
    Anyone have any discussion, thoughts, stories, challenges, pictures, etc... ? [face_batting] I'll try to come up with something. [face_thinking] ;)

EDIT: Okay, I think I've got a challenge idea. [face_idea]

After the excitement/adrenaline wore off from the Battle of Yavin, Luke certainly faced some new adjustments in his life. All practically at once he'd lost his aunt, uncle, friend Biggs, Ben, his home... then add on the guilt of realizing he'd just blown up an entire battle station of people. Yikes. :( He really didn't know anyone that well, or have a place to call home, nor did he have anyone to train him to be a Jedi. So here's an excellent place for Han to step in and become the big brother Luke never had, taking him under his wing. I challenge you to write a fic centering on this subject. Any length, any style. Just post a link in here when you're done. :)

23. celera Jedi Knight

star 2
    New question for discussion: how does Lando affect the Han/Luke dynamic? This is something that isn't explored enough in the EU.
  24. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    Really great question!! :D
    Hmm...[face_thinking]
    I'm going to have to think about it some more before I post anything though. In the meantime, feel free to discuss everyone! :)
  25. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Fascinating question ;) (my fave word for obvious reasons) [face_laugh] =P~ I don't think it affects it much. Their shared experiences are different & so is the trust level & one is more a relationship of scoundrels & the other more of "brothers by choice", rather like Jim & Spock
    [face_dancing]
    [face_dancing]
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.