main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The 1000 years of non Sith was to weaken the Jedi Council?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by achtungdaibut, Jun 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. achtungdaibut

achtungdaibut Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    Just a thought. Having read alot of the Posts. I find not alot of people have bad things to say about Qui-Qon. I thought it was a shame he didn't appear in more of the PT. He carried an authority you could believe in.

That lead to thinking, well he got killed by Darth Maul, he was perhaps more a philosopher type Jedi than a Warrior. IE an Obi-Wan. That is why he died and perhaps why Obi-Wan got the better of Maul. Unless you want to make age an excuse!

So this lead me to the post above. In the 1000 years of Peace it is quite possible the Jedi have not been tested that often in combat (real combat). So if you have had a 1000 years of peace, of course you would still have warriors, but you would assume most of the time you'd be contemplating the Force or whatever.

It would certainly appear that at the start of the TPM. They are more Peacekeepers. Also in AoTC Yoda alludes that alot of jedi "even the older and more experienced" have become complacent in their abilities and arrogant. In that they don't honestly think they will ever be truely tested. Why would they? The Sith are gone. The Droids they chop down etc etc

Was this part of the whole 1000 year thing. To lull the Jedi into becoming settled. Into having alot of the Jedi Council be thinkers and philosopher rather than battle hardened warriors such as Yoda.

Maybe this would explain why alot of them died so easily and only a few managed to put up any sort of a fight.

2. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    Yes, very good theory!

3. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    So this lead me to the post above. In the 1000 years of Peace it is quite possible the Jedi have not been tested that often in combat (real combat).

Yes, very good thinking!
    In fact, Yoda says much the same thing in the RotS novel. The Jedi have become too arrogant and complacent. I would have like to see it in the film, it seems like a powerful admission.

But, it seems that the smarter folks are able to figure it out anyway. Nicely done!

4. zillas_revenge2

zillas_revenge2 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    Yeah, the Jedi Order had become so incredibly full of its own righteousness that it simply couldn't survive in its current incarnation-observe their willingness to tak over the Republic for the good of its citizens.

5. Kenobis_Babe

Kenobis_Babe Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 9, 2002
    Good post achtungdaibut-This is where I liked the novelization of ROTS because it takes you into Yoda's mind at the time of enlightenment when he's fighting Sidious. He says pretty much that the Jedi had been preparing for the last war and had not become adaptable, whereas the Sith had been biding their time in the shadows till the time was right. I'm not a big EU person, but that sentiment makes perfect sense to me. The Jedi Order, as a whole, got soft and got played.

6. The-D

The-D Jedi Master star 4

May 18, 2005
    Sounds good to me. If GL hasn't already had that theory in mind, I bet he would consider it canon if he read your post.

With that kind of patience on the side of the Sith, hell they deserve to rule the galaxy!!

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Sound good to me.

8. achtungdaibut

achtungdaibut Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    Apart from Yoda..there were no other members of the council who had fought the Sith?

Anyway it certainly seems to be their weakness in the films. They are slow to react and when they do it's often to late.

9. LittleGreenManYoda

LittleGreenManYoda Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    Complacency can breed Stagnation that is what you saw in the Jedi Order. The Jedi were unprepared for the magnatiude of the Sith threat that had been stalking them and idelded their time away. Sure their were questions abound but when it came right down to it they bided their time confindent that the Sith woudnt return.

10. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Was this part of the whole 1000 year thing. To lull the Jedi into becoming settled. Into having alot of the Jedi Council be thinkers and philosopher rather than battle hardened warriors such as Yoda.

In away this is very ture. The Jedi for so long did not have a real enemy because they thought the sith were dead. But they did not know that the sith were in hiding waiting for just the right die to fight back. When they did the Jedi were not ready for it. Not one of them saw it coming until it was to late.

That does not make the Jedi weak or any thing. It just shows that they thought nothing would ever happen to them. Like Yoda said in AOTC they were to sure of themselves.

11. ObiWan2790

ObiWan2790 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    how could yoda have fought a sith if there was no signs of them for 1000 years, and yoda died at 900?

12. LittleGreenManYoda

LittleGreenManYoda Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    how could yoda have fought a sith if there was no signs of them for 1000 years, and yoda died at 900?

Well in EU Yoda did fight sith from what I heard.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.