main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The 10005 Retrospective - #1 - Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II & Mysteries of the Sith

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by SoloCommand, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    The enemies were dark siders, not sith, though it's still a bit implausible to have them around I supose. As for jedi like rahn being around, there obviously were a few stragglers who had survived here and there after the purge. As for the large star destroyer like ship, there are new mega weapons all the time in EU, so this is no different.

2. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Didn't both of those games have the fly cheat code which allowed your character to fly? Didn't Maw also fly around in the game. I remember that Yun also had a levitation kind of thing after he lost to Kyle. Let me know if all those are true?

3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Yes, there was a "noclip" kinda flying cheatcode on these games. I figure that's how many of us beat the falling ship level. :p

4. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    I never realized so many people had trouble with the falling ship level. Wasn't that just a case of you losing gravity, and figuring which button did what?

5. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Oh no, there was gravity alright. Gravity being the exact crux of your problem since you had to beat gravity before the ship fell to the canyon floor turning it and you into a flaming mess. The challenge of the level was that the ship was turned on its side and almost upside down, making navigation around and out of it difficult, especially at the end where you had to activate a very, very narrow walkway to get to the Moldy Crow and running towards it at a really ackward angle.

6. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Difficulty aside, it's probably one of the most horribly inventive levels of any FPS I've ever played.
    I managed to do it on my first try, I found the trick was to just ignore all the enemies (who are mostly all just running around for their lives) and keep my finger on the Force Jump button at all times to get up and around elevator shafts/corridors. I was quite pleased to find, on repeat playthroughs, that there's a bucketload of different paths through the ship, yet I still haven't been able to find all the secrets :(

7. DarthCruciation

DarthCruciation Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2009

Yeah Jerec was a pain in the butt. It took me quite a few tries to beat him. The Dark Side did make it easier, and it was fun to zap people with lightning.

8. CommanderSesfan

CommanderSesfan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    If you noclip to the bottom of the chasm the ship is falling into there's an AT-ST down there.

9. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    Sesfan and I got multiplayer working on JK and MotS again today.

IT IS EXCELLENT.

Sesfan is terrible at the game still.

Here are the ports you need opened to play the game:
    6073 (TCP & UDP)
    47624-47625 (TCP & UDP)
    1001 (TCP & UDP)
    2300-2404 (TCP & UDP)

10. CommanderSesfan

Jun 1, 2001
    Final score:

Sesfan: 9
    RichSC: 6

11. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    This was a good game.

12. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Interesting. I did not know that. I can't recall now but was there a timer or something urging you to move your ass in a hurry in order to escape the ship?

13. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Can't say I recall much about this one from a level to level perspective of game play, but I remember being floored by the opening cutscene of Nar Shaddaa followed by the beginning of the first level in the cantina. It seemed fresh and evocative yet reminiscent of "known Star Wars" in a manner that I could only experience before the prequel boom.

VictoryClassWoman likes this.
  14. CommanderSesfan

Jun 1, 2001
    Windows 7 trip report: Jedi Knight is not working. I was hopeful the same installation method used for Vista 64 would give results but no joy. The game loads correctly, but when entering a mission the screen is entirely black. I tried turning off hardware acceleration (after noticing that TIE Fighter on Windows 7 crashes with hardware acceleration on, but is fine without it) and that resulted in the game simply crashing to desktop. I'll keep working on this, anyone who has any ideas, post 'em.

15. CommanderSesfan

Jun 1, 2001
    Thought I'd update here in case anybody else can benefit from this knowledge. There's a fix for 3D hardware acceleration that can be found here

http://www.jkhub.net/project/show.php?projid=47&section=downloads

Extract it to your JK folder. This has solved the issue of constant crashes with 3D enabled for the Steam version of JK on Windows 7 (I'm sure it works for the disk version too).

16. Kalphite

Kalphite Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 4, 2009
    Best game of all time imo =) I'm of course speaking of the multiplayer aspect...to me Dark Forces I and JO/JA have more enjoyable single player content.

BTW - obviously MSN Gaming Zone doesn't really support this game anymore, but there are still a handful of dedicated people playing this on mIRC. Don't remember the server/channel off the top of my head, but if you're curious it can't be that hard to find with a google or two.

17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Brillant, thank you! Have added this to mixnmojo.com news.

Now, if someone could just fix the forced windowed mode for menus & cutscenes...

18. Darth_Zandalor

Darth_Zandalor Jedi Master star 4

Aug 2, 2009
    Yes, That cutscene is still one of may favourite in my whole experience of gaming. The flyby sequence overlooking Vertical City will always my vision of Nar Shaddaa. It was spectacular and vivid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.