main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The 12th EUC Starfighter Draft: Death Shovel - Come discuss the Future!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Now don't go dragon insanity into this.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    would that bug you too much?

would it be robin you of enjoyment?

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Don't be a shrew.

4. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Sorry guys, I've been sick...

Playoffs - Round Three

Match 1 My Little Ponies (3) vs. What is Cloverfield? Squadron (4)

Game 1

Number 2

Match 1 Bror Jace vs. Kyle Katarn t/w Tyria Sarkin Tainer and Atril Tabanne

5. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Is that a triple trump I see? o_O

6. adaml83

adaml83 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 8, 2004
    No, just Tyria's proper name...though it could be shortened to Tyria Tainer if it confuses too many Imperials. :p

7. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Technically the term should be something else since we've used triple trumpng for "trumping three times in a match..."

But it does appear to be three pilots; Katarn, Tyria, and Atril.

And on that note, I'll have to judge in favor of the threesome trump.

8. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Hahaha. The threesome trump.

I guess it is Kyle Katarn.

9. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    I agree

Playoffs - Round Three

Match 1 My Little Ponies (0) vs. What is Cloverfield? Squadron (1)

Game 2

Number 7

Match 1 Saba Sebatyne vs. Olin Garn t/w Plourr Ilo

10. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    Typo, you're insane...though I know what you're up to. :p

11. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Saba can take those two. She started a squad that flew countless mission and trained the Haras and Tesar. She's a Master and flies with Luke and Mara.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, I think Saba's breaking this trump.

13. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    Yeah, I think you're nuts.

More to come on that tomorrow.

14. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    Was that an official decision Jello? I'll give Typo the time he needs, since this'll decide teams or a win for Typo.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    About why I'm nuts? It might be more effective to pump up your pilots, but whichever you prefer.

I imagine your arguments will be persuasive and interesting.

[image=http://www.fanforhire.com/images/comical_ali.jpg]

16. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    It's been awhile since I've seen that picture. [face_laugh]

17. TypoCelchu

Feb 1, 2005
    Okay, some points to make prior to actually getting into the meat and potatoes of the argument:

I have the distinct disadvantage of having to argue for a trump that is composed of pilots that have A) Not appeared in some time, and B) have appeared in the less accessable medium of Comic and Videogame. This also presents the difficulty of not being able to provide very precise quotes or, you know, page numbers. Just food for thought prior to judgement.

And now on to our regularly scheduled program.

I'll begin with the trump itself. We've seen an awful lot of trump busting in this draft, and it is reasonable some cases, but questionable in others. In this case we have two pilots that, while they have not worked explicetly with one another, have enough in common to conclude that they will work well with one another. First, they worked within a relatively similar time period, and second, they are obviously on the same team. ;)

Now on to Plourr Ilo. We first see her in Rogue Leader, which takes place a mere week after the battle of Endor, and it is fairly clear that she was already a pilot. She continues her service in Rogue Squadron through it's disbandment after the battle of Brentaal IV, which is clearly labelled as a Rogue killer. Not only does her position within the Rogues label her as an elite pilot, but she also holds the rank of Leiutenant, which was the same as Tycho, Wes, and Hobbie at that point in time, which is a clear indication of a natural skill that is on an upper tier.

Olin Garn joins the Rebellion at some point prior to Hoth, and is involved in some pretty gnarly stuff from that point through the battle of Endor, including the famed defense of the Redemption. Further sick action includes fighting off gunboats, and the full TIE contingency of the Imperator. Then, of course, we have Endor, which we all know about.

Now on to Saba. I've done some searching, and I'm finding it hard to believe she gets as much respect as she does. First and foremost is the fairly suspect record of experience that she has. Perhaps she flew a Starfighter for the legendary (lol) 50 missions the Wild Knightz participated in prior to showing up on-screen. But what we do know is that she was NOT in the cockpit of a starfighter for any of the defense of Borleias. Rather, she spent the whole time there in the cockpit of a Skipray Blastboat along with Danni Quee. In fact, with a semi-serious look through recent canon, I could find two examples of Saba piloting a starfighter. First, when she blasted a Vong slave ship, and most recently in LotF. Anything between those two events is vague, and 90% of what we see is saber battling with her. Now, it is likely that her force skill is something that will give her a slight edge over the average schmuck, but with a lack of real shown experience we've got to give her the same type of treatment we afford other Masters with similar levels of shown experience, like Kyle Katarn and Octa Ramis...

And frankly, neither of those two have what it takes to overcome a trump of this level.

18. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    Holy crap we're actually doing something besides the spamfest!

Has that Redemption thing for Garn ever been confirmed?

19. TypoCelchu

Feb 1, 2005
    Yes, all of Red Squadron was there for that, and since Olin Garn was Ace Azzameen's wingman, I'd say it's a rather safe bet.

20. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    We're talking about the infamous Redemption mission correct? Or are we talking about where Red Squadron is protecting the Redemption during the Battle of Endor?

21. Aragorn327

Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2001
    The one that was turned into the infamous training exercise was with Keyan Farlander, I think.

For all of RS to be there, I believe he's talking about Endor.

22. TypoCelchu

Feb 1, 2005
    There are multiple Red Squadrons. The one I am speaking of was at the defense of the Redemption that later became the scenario. The squadron that Ace Azzameen led was called Red Squadron, and Olin Garn was a member of said squadron. And yes, Keyan Farlander also happened to be there.

Edit: To further clarify, Ace Azzameen's Red squadron, like so many other squadrons, was gutted before Endor, and people were sent off to serve in other groups. Ace himself was in the command staff of the Millennium Falcon, while Olin Garn flew in the battle. So Ace's Red Squadron was A Red Squadron, but not THE Red Squadron that we all so often relate to the Rogues.

23. Kyptastic

Sep 10, 2005
    Rebuttal?

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    If there isn't a rebuttal then I'll happily swap.

25. TypoCelchu

Feb 1, 2005
    Horsey is at a conference for the rest of the day, so she's at a bit of a time disadvantage. She also doesn't have any of her books with her, having currently moved, which also puts her at a disadvantage. If someone wants to step up to the plate, do her a favor, and do a bit of an argument for her, I wouldn't whine about it.

That said, I still think my two pilots are better. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.