main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The 12th EUC Starfighter Draft: Death Shovel - Come discuss the Future!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by PRENNTACULAR, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adaml83

adaml83 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 8, 2004
    Typo

Had to make it official you know.

2. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Congrats, Typo!!!

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  4. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Congratulations, Typo! =D=

5. Talon_Kenobi

Talon_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2003
  6. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    A small announcement to go along with this victory of mine:

We've had numerous two time champs in this draft's history, but never a three time winner until just now. I had told a few of you my intentions should I have won a third title, and I intend to follow through with them.

So, as of today, I am retiring as a GM from the SFD. Time to let the other kiddies win a few. :p

7. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Ugh...these colors are awful!

8. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    Not as bad as Prenns...

BTW Typo, congrats, only took 7 months to get your third one...

9. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Ok, so...here is a dilemma. There is going to be a joint big draft being run in the EUC and SWC. This is something new that they've been trial running in the SWC for a bit while we waited for the SFD to end. The Jedi Draft is not running during this time and the big draft includes Force users, pilots, and other things. Here's a link to the trial stuff.

If there are q's on this let me know and I'll get Inty in here (or LI can explain since he's been playing).

The dilemma comes from whether or not to stall the SFD during this other draft or to keep this one going. I'd like input on what the SFD peeps would like to see happen.

10. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    I'd say stall this one, if only so everyone can give one draft their full focus at a time. If both were running, then difficulties might pop up for people trying to give detailed arguments in two drafts at a time, and both could potentially suffer.

11. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Yeah, stall this one.

12. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    I think we should do them both. If playing in two at one time is going to be too much for you, don't play in two at one time. It's not really that hard.

13. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Prenn, those colours are disgusting :p.

I really don't see the point in doing both in any case, considering that the Ultimate draft incorporates elements of the SFD.

14. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    My rebuttal to that is that I think the Ultimate draft is too complicated for me. I'm good if I can grasp this draft and I still don't fully get how to trump so it benefits me. So I would not be able to participate in the Ultimate draft.

Plus, I was sort of thinking that we could attempt to draw some new people into the drafts and maybe they'd be able to gain some experience w/o having to go up against professional drafters.

15. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Yeah, Horsey said it. There's people who just want to play in the simple SFD, and we shouldn't rob them from that.

16. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    If you think you can upwards of 4-6 new people involved in this one, then it might be feasible to try and do both at the same time. Less than that, and I don't know if there would be enough interest to keep it as active as it usually is.

17. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I think it is at least worth a shot.

18. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    The thing is though, that the Utimate Star Wars Draft is meant to be an event across both forums to celebrate the two original drafts that inspired them all, as well as adding elements that so far have been missing. By holding a Starfighter Draft concurrently diminishes the spectacle of the USWD.

19. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    Depends if you can get new blood to fill up this one, if not then stall, if so, then it could be an interesting draft.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I don't care if we hold two so long as the SFD can actually go at a good pace. If it's going to be dying/sluggish, we may as well have everyone focus on the combined draft.

21. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Is there anyone in this thread that would like to submit some thoughts on the format for the first USWD but hasn't yet done so in the SWC thread?

For those who don't know, here's a basic rundown:

You're going to draft 14 characters. You will put 12 of them into combat situation: 4 in Lightsbaer/Force dueling, 4 in hand-to-hand, no-Force allowed combat, and 4 of them in piloting/dogfighting combat.

The other two you draft will be there solely for strategy. You will have the opportunity to align them with a character, or a trump, during the individual battles. Doing so will give that character, or trump, 24 hours of time to work out a plan of action with the strategy character they are aligned with.

After we complete all 12 individual matches, we have four mini-team battles. Your four Lightsaber/Force combatants battle your opponent's four Lightsaber/Force combatants. And the same for the other two categories. This gives a total of 15 matches. The team that wins 8 (or more) wins the round.

The strategy characters come into play in the team battles, as well. Whomever was prepared with a strategist in individual battles, their team will be prepared for action. That means at least one of your teams will be unprepared.

Let me give an example. Let's say you have Grand Admiral Thrawn prepare one of your pilots, and Grand Moff Tarkin prepare one of your NFA combatants. When we get to teams, Thrawn will prepare your pilots for team battle, Tarkin will prepare your NFA combatants for battle, and your Force/Lightsaber Combatants will be unprepared for battle (they will be summoned to the field with no time to get a plan ready, and no time to get to know each other). Likewise, if you have Thrawn prepare a pilot, and Tarkin prepare another pilot, then both Thrawn and Tarkin will prepare your pilots, and your other two groups will both go into team battles unprepared. So there is plenty to think about when choosing who to prepare and pair with a strategist.

There's a full list of draftable characters in the SWC thread, I will not post it here. The only restriction we will be putting on the list is that Luke Skywalker will not be available for Force/Lightsaber combat. He can be used with Force Dampers in hand-to-hand, as a pilot, or for strategy only.

What will happen is 8 GMs will sign up in SWC and 8 GMs will sign up in EUC. The winners from EUC and SWC will then meet to declare a grand champion of Star Wars Drafting.

22. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Does that mean that we could end up with two teams having the same person fighting each other in the end, or will the list cross both forums. Or after sign-up will we go over there/they come over here to draft?

23. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    There is a small possibility that the teams in the championship game could have a character (or many) in common. This would only be a problem if they put them on the same number. In which case, we'll ask them to resubmit. :)

We used to do dual lists in the Jedi Draft, and it was never a problem.

Sign-ups will occur in separate threads. One in SWC and one in EUC. You'll only be allowed to play in one or the other. Judges will be common to both.

24. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    I appreciate everyone sharing your opinions. Here is what the mods have come up with.

We are going to run the SFD, however we will not start until after the Big Draft is already underway. We will be recruiting and giving preference to people who are not involved in the Big Draft, as far as GM signups go, in an attempt to get new people into the drafting games. TypoCelchu has volunteered to be the commish for the SFD. Judges will not be new users so feel free to sign up as a judge. If we can't get enough new people then we'll go from there, but I think it deserves the chance to get new people involved and perhaps given the chance to learn while not going up against draft pros. :p

Questions, comments, concerns?

25. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Sounds good to me. Only one question, how long after the USWD starts will the SFD be starting? 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 of the way through?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.