main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The 13th EUC Starfighter Draft: I've Got A Bad Feeling About This!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by TypoCelchu, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    *draft waves back*

hi jello.

2. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Hi to Jello

Agree with 'sey.

3. adaml83

adaml83 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 8, 2004
    Hey Jello.

4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Pilot 3!

Corran is Sexy League:

StarSlayer Squadron vs I'm supposed to work with WHO? Squadron (3-2)

Nrin triple trump (FORFEIT) vs Maarek Stele

Winner: Stele

I can't belive I got forced into commishing with the team I drafted league:

I don't even like these people vs For the Honor of Greyskull (1-4)

Lando Calrissian vs Jake Farell

Winner: While this would be close, I'm voting Farell

Playoff for 5th and 6th Place:
    The How Many Anakins Is This? Squad vs We're all Ewoks Now! (3-2)

Nym vs Cade Skywalker

Winner: Nym, I need to ask Jon to have Cade fly more.

5. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    well... i guess that'll pretty thoroughly guarantee teams again. if stele had hit his number two this would likely be over.

6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Farrell's got like no record. He's a veteran, and he did the second Death Star run. Lando's not inexperienced himself, and he too did the Second Death Star run, in a larger and less maneuverable ship. He's also got other achievements, like flying into Executor's hangar bay, blowing it up, and flying back out during the battle of Endor (GG5). Or outwitting a gang of pirates and racking up nineteen kills at Tanaab. Or flying through the Oseon Flamewind (which means his instruments were dead and he was in the middle of an asteroid field full of EM discharge) and shooting down a pair of fighters before outrunning the rest of the two-squadron group through an asteroid field and taking out something like a dozen with an exploding asteroid.

Lando's as skilled as Farrell or better, as far as we can tell, more accomplished than Farrell, smarter and a better tactician, luckier -- Farrell might have an experience edge in straight combat piloting, though he did spend a lot of time as a trainer and we certainly haven't seen more of his experience than Lando's. I don't think Farrell has the bona fides to beat Lando in this match.

7. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    So once again we have the classic debate of a proven starfighter ace versus a proven freighter ace. Both Jake and Lando have fought in pivatol battles during the Rebellion, namely the Battle of Endor. I will agree that Lando is an exceptional freighter pilot, but he is not a fighter pilot. During the Battle of Endor, Lando had a co-pilot and an entire crew manning the rest of the Falcon. Jake had just himself and his A-Wing, he didn't even have an astromech to lean on in the heat of battle. Not only did Lando have a crew backing him up, the ship he flew possessed better armor and shields then an A-Wing.

Also I am hard pressed to be convinced that the Millennium Falcon is less maneuverable than a starfighter. She is concidered "the fastest hunk of junk in the galaxy" and "the fastest ship in the fleet" at the time of Endor. She has been known to not only run hyperspace lanes faster then any other vessel, but has far superior sub-light engines. Even without someone manning one of her many weapons systems, she has been able to out maneuver TIEs and other starfighters.

If this was a djarik game matching tactical masterminds I would say advantage Calrissian, although Farrel is no slouch when it comes to leading troops.

If this was a stock light freighter match then I would once again say winner-winner-chicken dinner for Lando.

Unfortunately this is a starfighter match up and between these two Farrell is the winner everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

8. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    The Falcon is fast; that's not the same as being maneuverable. She's maneuverable for a freighter, sure; that's not the same thing as being an A-wing, especially not inside the Death Star, where size is a distinct consideration. And I'll note that having a crew doesn't impact the instances I've deliberately brought up, which are either cases of pure piloting ability or Lando on his own -- for the Flamewind, Lando handling the ship purely by himself and firing the forward guns from the cockpit.

And I'll note that, while being a freighter pilot, Lando is a fighter pilot. We've not only seen him in a fighter, but WEG consistently makes a point to give Lando equal stats in freighter and fighter piloting -- something it does not do for Han, Chewie, or Dash Rendar, all of whom have lower fighter scores. The simple "freighter pilot" dismissal, in addition to never being particularly compelling (every time we've ever seen somebody fly both starfighters and freighters, whether it be Lando, Han, Luke, Dash, or Wedge, that skill has been interchangeable in both cockpits) simply doesn't fly here.

9. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Weee, teams.....again[face_plain]

10. adaml83

adaml83 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 8, 2004
    I'll go ahead and agree with Sey.

11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Wow, would've gone with Lando there.

Anyway, I'm leaving tonight for a weekend skiing trip and coming back Sunday night so I won't be around for any arguments. If it goes to teams for me in my absence, I hope you don't mind waiting until Monday

12. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i wouldn't have gone lando either. i just keep remembering typo's arguments for farrell honestly. jake pretty easily to me.

13. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I was leaning Farrell, but still not sure. Glad you guys agreed so I could stop thinking about it.

14. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006

15. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    Well at least this round was easy.

BTW... I am always nervous going up against Havoc, the steel trap minded Lit Mod of War!!!

Great match Havoc, I tip my hat to you!

16. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
  17. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    Yup, easy round. Sey is correct on all fronts.

18. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Pilot 5!

Corran is Sexy League:

StarSlayer Squadron vs I'm supposed to work with WHO? Squadron (4-3)

Plour triple trump (FORFEIT) vs Tesar Sebatyne

Winner: Tesar

I don't even like these people vs For the Honor of Greyskull (2-5)

Asyr Sei'lar vs Villian Dance

Winner: Asyr Sei'lar

The How Many Anakins Is This? Squad vs We're all Ewoks Now! (4-3)

Mace Windu vs Vindoo "The Shooter" Barvel

Winner: Mace Windu

19. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    yeah, I can go with that.

20. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i'm guessing opinion's haven't changed in the case of sey and inty? basically i'm asking if DE and i will need to rehash this again. i know adam read the whole mess... sooooo... *looks around questioningly*

21. DarthIntegral

Jul 13, 2005
    My opinion on your team match won't change. And I'm pretty sure 'sey's won't either. So, I'm thinking your fate comes down to adam.

22. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    yea, that's pretty much what i figured.

suppose it depends on what he wants.

23. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Alas, it was not to be. You've got a good team, Macja.

24. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Remember - to the two teams that lose today out of the two leagues, you'll play each other to decide 3rd and 4th in the next round. So don't disappear.

Corran is Sexy League:

StarSlayer Squadron vs I'm supposed to work with WHO? Squadron (4-4)

Teams: My vote isn't changing (starslayer), and Inty's vote isn't changing (I'm supposed to work with who?) so we're waiting for adam to vote

I don't even like these people vs For the Honor of Greyskull (3-5)

No need for teams

The How Many Anakins Is This? Squad vs We're all Ewoks Now! (5-3)

No Need for Teams. Congrats to Team How Many Anakins is this? for taking 5th place. Congrats to Team We're all Ewoks Now! for taking 6th place. Enjoy your 24 hr game ban. :p

25. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    if need be i can go and grab all of my stuff and post it again here. probably add a little bit if i did it though, since i've thought of a few things since then.

whatever you need adam.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.