main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The 13th EUC Starfighter Draft: I've Got A Bad Feeling About This!

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by TypoCelchu, Apr 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Pilot 1!

Championship Game
    I'm supposed to work with WHO? Squadron vs For the Honor of Greyskull (1-2)

Tesar Sebatyne vs Zekk

Playoff for 3rd and 4th Place:
    I don't even like these people vs StarSlayer Squadron (2-1)

Mara Jade Skywalker vs Horton Alm trumped with Zev Senesca (FORFEIT)

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hm. Leaning Zekk. Anyone have a reason why I shouldn't?

3. adaml83

adaml83 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 8, 2004
    I can't think of any but if someone wants to argue go ahead.

4. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    *raises hand*

Back in TJK, during the battle in which Lowie was captured, the narrative very plainly and explicitly states that Tesar was the second-best pilot in their group, behind only Jaina. This group included Zekk and Jacen.

Sure, that was quite a while back from the end of LotF, and also, thanks to certain feats, we can very safely assume that Jacen leapfrogged Tesar in the "rankings". It could be that Zekk did as well. Thing is, feat-wise, what specifically has Zekk done in that time that would lead us to believe that he has? He's has some good, steady experience since then, which definitely includes some pretty hairy stuff, but at the same time, that TJK battle wasn't the last time Tesar ever flew, either. What exactly is it that puts Zekk ahead of Tesar since that time? For my money, Tesar still eeks it out. Having seen Zekk in the cockpit more often since Tesar was directly stated to be better than him does help his case, but just seeing more of him isn't enough for me to declare him the better pilot.

Of course, I may not be remembering something specifically awesome that Zekk may have done. LotF is where my general interest in Star Wars faded away. I was barely paying attention to what I was reading some of the time. Actually... I didn't even read Invincible, so there's that.

5. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i'll have something else to say myself tomorrow.

6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I lack strong feelings either way, so I guess I can go with Tesar, since that was a decent argument.

7. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    sorry, getting ready to move back into school kinda made it a bit hard to get anything done on this. i'll have something tomorrow afternoon as this is the first time i've been in my room since i got up.

8. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    I'll give you time to get something up but I'm still leaning Zekk.

9. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    The problem is that Tesar isn't written about as much and this draft places more emphasis on what we know rather than what perhaps one character said.

-Zekk at an early age was piloting a frighter while a planet was trying to destroy itself and the inhabitants to rescue people.
    -He won a piloting contest for smugglers
    - He flew for most of the Vong war and even bonded with a seed partner to fly one of the seed ships (He wasn't in Twin Suns because Jag didn't like him, not because of skill which Jag admitted in LOTF)
    - He flew and led the air squads at the Killik/Chiss battle of Tenupe while Jaina led the ground battle
    - Zekk and Jaina engaged Jag in a dogfight and forced him to eject before he was shot down.
    - Zekk was in Rogue Squadron after Dark Nest
    - He was also chosen during the last battle of LOTF to draw fire so Jaina could get to the Anakin Solo and the Hapan fleet could arrive. This meant he was trusted as a good pilot to be able to do that by the entire Council. And think about the fighter pilots who are on the council. They weren't intending to send Zekk to his death, they thought he could survive.

I really wish we knew more of Tesar's upbringing and exactly what he was doing during most of the known history, but the fact is that we don't. We know far more about Zekk and the stuff we do know is enough, imo, to pick him over Tesar.

10. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    uhh... zekk and JAINA shot down jagged. jaina coulda done it by herself at that point, so that really isn't a huge point in zekks favor.

school has completely sucked my time. i have so much reading i have to do right this second i can't really get anything else up. i'll have to let what shurron said be it for the most part.

however, let me add this before i have to basically immerse myself in enlightenment age literature. tesar flew y-wings against the vong. you know those ancient ships that were old during the first deathstar fight? those things? better pilots in a one on one matchup with modern age x-wings died in seconds the first time they fought a single coral skipper, and tesar survived in a y-wing in what was likely not a simple one-on-one deal. that is insane. oh yea, also developed shield trios in y-wings, those clunky things that can't maneuver worth spit. he impressed luke, of all people, in a y-wing and proved to be a vastly better pilot in an x-wing. while yes, zekk is good, doing those things in a y-wing is insane. the things are designed as bombers, not interceptors. that means going up against a space superiority type fighter, like a coral skipper, is practically suicide unless you're an amazing pilot. and nothing i've seen from zekk at THAT POINT showed that he could have done the same. so tesar only goes on to improve from that point throughout the vong war, where as shurron said, he was the second pilot to jaina. stated, not conjecture or opinion, but stated. with what is likely less experience than zekk at that point he is stated to be better. and he only got better after that, so tell me, if he's still improving over the same time period, how does zekk catch him?

anyway, that's really about it.

*waves*

11. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    You're telling me that he got better, but there isn't data from the books that he did. Whereas with Zekk there is. I also disagree that Jaina could've shot Jag down on her own but that's another argument. :p

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'll go Tesar then, to balance out the vote. The match deserves that much.

All yours, adam.

13. ma_petite

ma_petite Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2006
  14. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
    I believe Inty already voted Tesar so that should be the match.

Either way I'm the dissenting vote.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh, oops. Guess that's the match, then. :p

16. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    whew. i have a chance again.

EDIT

oh yea... jaina was at that point a better pilot than jagged. i don't even find that terribly debatable personally.

17. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    This draft is going on forever...

Pilot 6!

Championship Game
    I'm supposed to work with WHO? Squadron vs For the Honor of Greyskull (2-2)

Garik Loran vs Edor Crespin

I don't even like these people vs StarSlayer Squadron (3-1)

The Haras (Forfeit) vs Nawara Ven

lol@Hav

18. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    shouldn't that be garik?

and if args are needed, they'll have to wait til tomorrow.

19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
  20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm going to say Crespin. Face was pretty decent and participated in some hairy engagements, but got shuffled off to Intel work pretty quickly. Crespin has a career both in the Rebellion and in Imperial service.

21. adaml83

Dec 8, 2004
  22. s65horsey

Jun 24, 2006
    Pilot 2!

Championship Game
    I'm supposed to work with WHO? Squadron vs For the Honor of Greyskull (2-3)

Elscol Loro vs Baron Soontir Fel

I don't even like these people vs StarSlayer Squadron (3-2)

Lando Calrissian vs Keyan Farlander

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    LOL

Fel and Farlander. Two Fs, in celebration of the repealed WTF rule.

24. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    This match is going well.

25. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    yay... teams most likely, given that i still have han and stele left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.