main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games The 13th Jedi Draft: Only a Bith Deals in Absolutes. Congrats to our winner. All hail Point Given!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by heels1785 , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Lord Hoth was one of thousands who were killed by one. Ganner Rhysode was one who killed thousands.

I realize that's not an argument, I just wanted to say it :p

DarthIntegral likes this.
  2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Nyax is just a bit more than "the one with lots of sabers," and considerably more skilled and intelligent than he's usually given credit for.

3. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    yes, he had like 8 sabers.

4. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    My votes go to Kyle, Nyax, and The Ganner.

5. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    same. don't really see any arguments swaying me honestly.

6. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Mikaboshi likes this.
  7. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    Nyax is terrible, sorry I didn't jump in sooner Minch. He'd get worked over by a cohesive trump like Fisto/Aayla. But moving on...

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    KK dated Aayla for one draft, I think.

9. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Right back at you COH. Well played.

CrazyOldHermit likes this.
  10. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    So teams it is then.

11. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002
    Two. [face_love]

And she beat Nyax by herself during that time!

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Mikaboshi (6) vs. COH (4)
    Furio (6) vs. DarkEagle (4)
    Skywalker (4) vs. Jordan (6)
    Whiteeagle (3) vs. Point Given (6) - 1 DRAW

Team battle!

TLI (5) vs. Minch (5)

Darth Sidious, Darth Malgus, Darth Zannah, Lord Nyax, Asajj Ventress, Kaox Krul, Vestara Khai, Lord Kas'im, Vindican, Darth Andeddu

vs.

Yoda, Satele Shan, Exile, Leia Organa Solo, Bastila Shan, Ahsoka Tano, Kit Fisto, Aayla Secura, Tholme, Corran Horn

Torn a bit at first glance. I would say the top 3 are relatively equal, but the back 7 probably favor Minch, even with the dead weight of Corran Horn strapped to their back.

Take 24-48 hours, get in some arguments, and we'll decide.

13. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    You underestimate poor Corran. If nothing else, he can take a beating. :p

I have a very nice argument all typed up. But it's at home. So, I'll post it later.

14. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    agreed on corran being underestimated... as i already said at least once.

15. Yodaminch

Mar 6, 2002
    Yoda, Satele Shan, Exile, Leia Organa Solo, Ahsoka Tano, Corran Horn, Kit Fisto, Aayla Secura, Bastila Shan, Tholme vs. Darth Sidious, Darth Malgus, Darth Zannah, Assaj Ventress, Kas'im, Nyax, Vindican, Kaox Krul, Vestara Khai, Darth Andeddu

This battle asks the age old question: Is the Dark Side stronger?
    This really can’t get any better when it comes to matches: We have Ahsoka and Ventress, Satele and Malgus and Vindican. Yoda and Sidious. And then there’s Zannah, Exile, Leia and Vestara. So many great matches…

But here’s the thing: My team has a slight (very slight) edge. And that is the following:

Battle Meditation: It doesn’t really get much better than Bastila for this ability. But Yoda has it too and is quite skilled with it. Add in Corran's skill with Jedi Melds and this team is an extremely cohesive unit. All of these jedi have at least one partner they know and even the Shans are at least related.

Leadership: There are few better than Yoda to lead a team. Even a fellow Grand Master like Satele would defer to someone with his centuries of knowledge. But that certainly doesn't mean Yoda wouldn't take advice from others. And on that front, we have Leia and the Exile as well as the two Grandmasters.

Stealth/Planning: As I mentioned way back, I picked up Tholme because he’s a thinker. He’s a strategist and a planner. He’s also a survivor. He’s played dead numerous times. The only thing that killed him was time itself. He may have had his rear handed to him by Dooku, but the fact that the order even sent him after Dooku speaks volumes (as opposed to say Mace, Yoda or a council member). His skillset will come in handy when planning this battle. Of course, he's not the only strategist. Corran's no slouch in the thinking department either.

The Exile factor: Sure she lost some cool points thanks to Scourge, but she’s still a force to be reckoned with. Some of this backfield could fall to her but she also could be a real problem for someone like Zannah and her sorcery. I’ll just mention her abilities again:
    There is another Skywalker: Leia should never be ignored. Few on this team have fought war for as long as she has. She’s a warrior as much as a diplomat. As a Jedi Knight, she’s proven to be one of the more difficult jedi to knock down. She’s been blasted, burned, blown up and more and she keeps on coming back for more. She’s not unfamiliar with Palpatine, having helped Luke defeat him once before. And she’s a skilled duelist in her own right. Her training under Saba should also not be ignored considering the respect Saba herself commands and like Saba, Leia has shown that it takes a lot to get her out of a fight. She may not be Luke or her children, but she’s a far bigger threat than some would think. I'd argue Leia at her peak is only a few steps below Luke and Jaina. Certainly the way Denning wrote Crucible you could think that.

Ahsoka Sue: I’ll be the first to admit Ahsoka is depicted as overly powerful despite being 14-16 years old and a jedi padawan. BUT, that’s Canon so I’ll use it to my advantage. :p Given she defeated some of these lesser sith in the past few rounds and some without even an argument from me, she’s clearly thought of very highly. Her skills in the show do demonstrate that she can be a force to be reckoned with. She’s certainly familiar with Ventress. As a relatively new padawan, she comes to Luminara’s aid and helps her against Ventress until she flees like a coward. And then of course there is their match up in Season 5. Like the Exile or Leia, Ahsoka could clear out some of these lesser Sith. No matter how you look at it, she trained under some of the best jedi at that time and was apprenticed to the Chosen One. Paired with Kit, Aayla and led by Yoda, she'll be another tough jedi to knock down.

Speaking of Author’s Pet Characters: Well, he may not be canon any longer, but since it doesn’t affect this draft, one should also not underestimate Corran Horn. His unique force abilities and his training under Luke make him another formidable opponent that won’t go down easy. Obviously his biggest claim is Shedao Shai, but he too like Leia is a natural warrior who has fought for much of his life. He’s dealt with plenty of dark jedi and sith as well. Someone like Vindican would not stand a chance against Corran’s superior skillset. Sure, Corran has no TK. But he has illusions, absorbs energy (which has the added bonus of a high pain tolerance). And he can channel that energy into abilities like TK if needed. He’s not going to go down quickly. In fact, I’d argue he could be a real pain for someone like Zannah with his strong mind trick and illusion abilities as well as his energy absorption.

Missed it by that much: So Mace clearly underestimated that 4 Masters would be enough to take down Palpatine. And given they wanted him alive, they were pretty easily taken down in such closed quarters. But it’s worth noting that Kit survived the longest of the other jedi against Palpatine. Sure he did die quickly, but that was also because Palpatine caught many of them offguard. Not exactly the same scenario here given everyone has prep in a team battle. Compared to how Fisto handled Grievous for example, I think some of his lower and even mid-tier opponents would struggle with Kit especially with the help of Aayla and Ahoska.

Teamwork: Ultimately, at the end of the day, this is a team of jedi, many of whom have worked together, working to defeat a team of sith. And we know how teams of sith have worked out historically. Especially when you have personalities like Sidious and Malgus mixed with Zannah-all sith who wanted to be in charge. And I doubt someone like Ventress is too happy with Sidious given he did order her death. Just some food for thought there. Even with some skilled organizers, this team will not be as fluid as my team simply on the basis that they are sith.

Now then, onto the main event:

Yoda vs. Sidious
    “If so powerful you are, why leave?”

It was a simple question really. After catching Yoda off guard with some force lightning. Sidious tries to flee after Yoda tips his chair over with a small push. And he’s clearly afraid too. Once he’s cornered, of course he fights back. And he has the home-field advantage with the Senate rotunda. But he never defeats Yoda really. The fight is at best a stalemate after the lightning explodes and Yoda takes a tumble. However, Sidious clearly didn't have the same mastery over force lightning that Yoda did. Despite the fact that he thought he had overwhelmed Yoda, Yoda turned back and pushed it right back at him until Sidious couldn’t control it and it exploded. The circumstances had far more to do with the fight ending in Sidious’ favor than any display of power shown in the battle. Prepared and on a level playing field, is there really a doubt that Yoda could not defeat Sidious? Every time he goes to fight, his opponents try to flee. Dooku did it and Sidious tried but Yoda cut off his exit. You add in someone like Leia and the unique skillset of the Exile and you can see how Sidious will fall to this team.

16. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Judge as you will. I've already made my case on an individual basis. Don't bother waiting on me.

17. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i'll try to do it later today

unless people get there before me, which could certainly happen. i'm taking a nap right now however.

18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    I should be able to get a judgment in tomorrow morning.

Don't let the bed bugs bite, trimmer.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Judgment time.

Yoda, Satele Shan, Exile, Leia Organa Solo, Ahsoka Tano, Corran Horn, Kit Fisto, Aayla Secura, Bastila Shan, Tholme vs. Darth Sidious, Darth Malgus, Darth Zannah, Assaj Ventress, Kas'im, Nyax, Vindican, Kaox Krul, Vestara Khai, Darth Andeddu

Let's get this out of the way. Yoda will occupy Sidious for the whole fight, and they'll cancel each other out entirely. So this becomes a battle between the other 9. Satele beat Malgus when she was training, and he was at physical peak without his breather - I like her chances at beating him in a squeaker. Zannah is a total wild card, and I think she's strong enough to stalemate or beat Exile. So there's your top 3.

Going down, TLI has one or two in his back 7 who may beat a member of Minch's team - Ventress and Nyax, who will both be tough to take down. Kas'im's palette is way too small, and the rest of the team would require a good bit of luck, even against a Kit Fisto or Aayla, one-on-one. Vindican, Krul, Vestara, and Andeddu are going to be go down pretty quickly.

Corran, yeah, you guys can say what you like about him, he's got value in the Starfighter Draft, I just don't know if he does here. He could potentially stall a Kaox Krul or Vestara long enough for one of Minch's mid-range people to jump in and help, but I don't see his contributions as substantial. Minch's back 7 are a lot stronger, Minch wins.

20. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    you haven't read the end of legacy of the force then, have you. you'd have a slightly different opinion of corran if you had.

anyway, for pretty much the same reasons (although i have slightly differing opinions of some of the characters, kas'im and vestara mainly), i'm going to agree. minch put together a much better backfield and with the top three coming out as a bunch of squeakers that'll take time for anyone to actually win, it's going to be the backfield that makes all the difference.

my only hiccup on this is if someone like zannah were to go for the backfield (why we always assume people go for their opposite number is beyond me), she could potentially wipe most of it out with the tentacles (heck, she could probably take exile down with them pretty fast if she wanted to), which she'd have very little hesitation in using. it was her ace in the hole against bane, but that's because she needed it to survive, exactly like she does here. if that comes into play then... well, it makes things interesting. let's just put it that way.

that said, the cohesion factor is going to be a lot better on the jedi side, with arguably more top talent thanks to satele.

i just wish i didn't have that niggling doubt factor about zannah's potential to skew this quite heavily the other way. i don't see anyone else, other than sids and yoda, with that potential, and we all know they're fighting each other period.

but vote goes to minch

21. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    so anyone else here read the dawn of the jedi comics? i find myself very sad that there's only going to be 15 of them. also feels like it was severely rushed due to the impending loss of the comics by dark horse. just so much potential going to waste. :(

22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Mikaboshi (6) vs. COH (4)
    Furio (6) vs. DarkEagle (4)
    Skywalker (4) vs. Jordan (6)
    Whiteeagle (3) vs. Point Given (6) - 1 DRAW
    Minch (5w) vs. TLI (5)

Real Boss Nass
    1. Mikaboshi's Heartbreakers 4-0 -- 23-15-2
    2. Old Reliable (Minch) 4-0 -- 23-17-0
    3. Black Sabbath (TLI) 2-2 -- 23-17-0
    4. Heavy Metal (COH) 1-3 -- 17-22-1
    5. Redwood Originals (WE) 0-4 -- 13-24-3

Salacious B. Crumb FC
    1. Dynamo Coruscant (PG) 4-0 -- 26-12-2
    2. The Furious Sithish (Furio) 3-1 -- 21-16-3
    3. Injustice League of Korriban (Jordan) 2-2 -- 18-21-1
    4. Hooded Figure In The Dog Park (DarkEagle) 0-4 -- 15-25-0
    5. The Shatterpoints (Skywalker) 0-4 -- 14-24-2

It's an interconference extravaganza this week!

Mikaboshi vs. Point Given
    Yodaminch vs. Darth Furio
    TLI vs. Jordan
    DarkEagle vs. Whiteeagle
    COH vs. Skywalker

Sundari Capital Plaza, Mandalore (active battle scene)

[​IMG]

48 hours for numbers!

23. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
  24. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Numbers in.

25. KenKenobi

Jul 11, 2002