main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games The 13th Jedi Draft: Only a Bith Deals in Absolutes. Congrats to our winner. All hail Point Given!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by heels1785 , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i agree across the board.

i really don't see kam as anywhere near a trump buster at all. even a somewhat lackluster one such as that.

everyone here should know my opinion of galen, but he's here, and he's certainly not losing to those two. i like aayla, she was really good to me last draft, but she's nowhere near that level.

i've already said i think leia has been underrated pretty severely at this point in her career. i'd probably vote her over vastor on her own, corran just pretty much makes it a guarantee. i also think corran's getting pretty sever short shrift here. what he did in the end of FotJ was pretty freaking impressive. him, luke and jaina basically took on silly amounts of sith, that were causing all three of them problems. corran came out of things the least injured of the trio. think about that for just a second. and he did manage to beat a vong in a 1v1 duel early one, when they really knew next to nothing about them and how they fought. he may not have that much, but what he has is pretty decent at this point. particularly the most recent stuff.

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    The numbers are 5, 4, and 8! And then, because we have so many forfeits, 2 and 6 as well.

So all five.

Mikaboshi's Heartbreakers (5) vs. Black Sabbath-TLI (0)

Forfeit (Xaj/Worror/Lsu) vs. Darth Zannah (prep)
    Kyle Katarn vs. Darth Malgus
    Kyp Durron vs. Lord Kas'im
    Forfeit (Xaj/Worror/Lsu) vs. Asajj Ventress
    Vodo Siosk-Baas (prep) vs. Darth Sidious

Taking arguments on Kyle vs. Malgus.

--

Heavy Metal-COH (4) vs. Whiteeagle (1)

Savage Oppress/Darth Maul vs. Mara Jade Skywalker (prep)
    Darth Cognus (prep) vs. Obi-Wan Kenobi (prep)
    Forfeit (Havok/Maladi) vs. Cay Qel-Droma/Ulic Qel-Droma
    Forfeit (Maul/Oppress) vs. Forfeit (Qel Dromas) - DRAW
    Darth Vader vs. Lord Hoth

Taking arguments on Sith trump vs. prepped Mara.

--

The Furious Sithish- Furio (2) vs. The Shatterpoints- Skywalker (3)

Darth Krayt vs. Wolf Sazen/Kol Skywalker
    Forfeit (Bulq/Billaba) vs. Quinlan Vos
    Forfeit (Unduli/Offee) vs. Forfeit (Kuro/Mundi) - DRAW
    Exar Kun (prep) vs. Forfeit (Sazen/Skywalker)
    Lumiya (prep) vs. Ferus Olin

--

Dynamo Coruscant-PG (4) vs. Injustice League of Korriban- Jordan (1)

Forfeit (Draco/Krieg) vs. Darth Bane
    Ben Skywalker (prep) vs. Forfeit (Nihl/Traya)
    Forfeit (Solo/Veila) vs. Darth Sion
    Jaina Solo vs. Mother Talzin (prep)
    Saba Sebatyne (prep) vs. Darth Plagueis (prep)

Taking arguments on Saba prep vs. Plagueis prep.

--

Old Reliable-Minch (3) vs. Hooded Figures in the Dog Park-DE (2)

Ahsoka Tano vs. Arca Jeth
    Forfeit (Leia/Corran) vs. Jaden Korr (prep)
    Exile vs. Darth Nyriss
    Bastila Shan (prep) vs. Forfeit (Darach/Leneer)
    Forfeit (Aayla/Fisto) vs. Revan

Taking arguments on Acre vs. Ahsoka.

48 hours for arguments- if more is needed, it will be allowed, since this is 5 numbers. Remember, even if you're already in a bad spot, building rep for your characters can still help you in the remaining 5 matches and/or playoffs.

3. Lenea_Sandstrider

Lenea_Sandstrider Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Ahh well, it was a good run.

4. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008

Awesome battle here. Both heavy hitters. I'm Sith aligned so I'd go Malgus but Kyle is just as good. Good luck judges.

5. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    I'd more lean Kyle personally, but I'm not horribly impressed with Malgus. That's just me though.

On my end, great match Furio.

6. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
  7. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    if kyle were prepped... like he should have been, it wouldn't really even be in question. kyle with all his goodies is a lot better than kyle with a briar pistol and lightsaber.

8. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I have less respectable picks that benefit heavily from prep (Vodo and Gnost), why would I prep a second round pick that can already beat 80% of the characters in this draft?

9. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Return (Malgus at 20)

Malgus, at the very beginning of his career, still an apprentice. The Zabrak, Kao Cen Darach, was the Order's Battlemaster at this point, incidentally. Also note the performance of Malgus' master, Vindican, particularly the part where he shrugs off an explosion and nearly fries an entire freighter.

Hope (Malgus at 34)

We've all seen this one before. Probably several times. Watch it again anyways, because it's fun.

(Malgus at 41)

To my knowledge, this is the only occasion upon which a wave of starfighters was destroyed by someone on the bridge of a battleship.

Deceived (Malgus at 48)

We've also seen this one many times before. This time, however, we have a fun narration to go with it.

Pay close attention to the bone crushing thing. It's something of a recurring theme with Malgus.
    He's clearly learned his lesson from Hope.
    For a Vaderclone, Malgus is unexpectedly agile. Also a recurring theme with him.
    At this point his casual massacre of secondary characters is pretty much turning into a running joke. There are only a small handful of people in the entire franchise who can treat assaulting the Jedi Temple like a walk in the park, and we're just getting started.
    Malgus levels up rapidly when angry. This will become important later.
    This is less a question of agility and more into "limited flight" territory. Perhaps he's confused and thinks he's starring in Man of Steel? He's certainly got the look right.
    It's interesting to see the effect the Force has when used against perfectly ordinary people and environments. In this case, enough to shift an entire starship and blow doors right off their hinges (players of The Force Unleashed will recall that doors do not give way easily in this universe).
    That's a fifty meter drop, by the way. He's a bit like a tank with a cape.
    The one thing I love this book for is actually giving us distances when people go flying. It's extremely handy for making comparisons. He routinely plays ping pong with people, and ragdolls to a level unseen except in The Force Unleashed's particularly dubious grasp of the laws of physics.
    Note to self: Lightsaber Throw is not advisable in this situation.
    It's nice to see someone willing to get a bit physical in a lightsaber duel. It's even nicer to see when that someone is wearing heavy armor and using it to their advantage.
    At this point, Malgus is angry. As mentioned before, you wouldn't like him when he's angry. And right after this, he kills off his sidekick so he can level up to a whole new class of angry. Permanently. And the effects show.
    Bone-cracking is always fun.
    Malgus is a particularly rare example of Sith who goes around in a state of Ganner Rhysode-esque oneness with the Force. He's like a 24/7 last stand by this point.
    A little reminder that just because he's built like a tank, doesn't mean that he's not lightning fast, too.
    Evolved Malgus at the top of his game. Another Sith lord doesn't even come close to being a match for him.

The Old Republic (Malgus at 60)

And, right, one more thing. All of that was at least a decade (his duel with Satele a full quarter-century) before the game itself, which Malgus is the Very Definitely Final Boss of (until the expansions came out, anyways). With Vitiate out of the way, he declares himself the new emperor, and as anyone who's played the game can testify to, he's got more than enough power to back that claim up.

Darth_Furio and Mikaboshi like this.
  10. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
  11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I'm not sure I have enough time to argue, so go ahead if you wish.

12. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    While he's up there, might as well get Kas'im out of the way, too.

Surgically dismantling a rancor after a ten kilometer run is basically a warmup for fighting Darth Bane. In a battle of endurance, he's not going to lose to anyone.
    There aren't many recorded cases of that kind of speed being put on display: only Obi-Wan comes immediately to mind as being able to match that kind of performance.
    This is one of those cases where Bane could've benefited hugely from prep time. Just when you think you've caught on to what his style is, he completely changes the nature of the game, and the result is most impressive:
    Kas'im's skill, endurance, and speed would make him a difficult foe with just one lightsaber in hand: what he can do with two is nothing short of supernatural.
    Also worth noting is that though Kas'im's focus is on pure skill with the lightsaber, he's more than capable of shielding himself from pulverizing Force blasts capable of completely demolishing the environment.

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Nice, TLI. Have to say I'm still leaning Kyp, but I am leaning Malgus over Kyle.

14. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Genuinely curious: when was the last time we actually saw Kyp duel someone? I really can't remember. It's like the NJO decided to make him a pilot, and he's just sort of been...there, just for the sake of keeping him around. Bantam made him famous, but he's just kind of disappointingly fizzled out ever since. Better than drinking the dark side crazy juice, I suppose, but still disappointing.

15. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Not sure where the lean on Ahsoka is, but I'm at a conference using only iphone.

I'm just going to point out a few things about Ahsoka:

1) She survived, gained the upper hand or own duels against: Dooku, Greivous, Ventress, Barriss
    2) She had grown quite powerful and experienced by series end. Not just as a duelist but as a force user and survivalist: see The Padawan lost episodes.
    3) She has had some of the best teachers in the order: Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda, Tries Sinube, Luminara.
    4) She was about to be knighted before she left. Much faster than Anakin or Obi-Wan were knighted. Even considering the role of the war, her progress is impressive.

16. CrazyOldHermit

CrazyOldHermit Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Maul alone against Mara would be a great fight, and her being prepped certainly makes her more dangerous. Both raised and trained by Palpatine, both highly skilled. Savage with Maul tips this in their favor. They dueled some of the best and did quite well:

Obi-Wan and Anakin
    Obi-Wan and Ventress
    Obi-Wan and Gallia
    They survived and did well very well in all of these. They even made old Palps work a little bit. Of course, that outcome was never in question. As good as she is I don't think she could take them both at the same time, even prepped.

17. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I'm going to try to get something up tomorrow morning

18. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i'll wait for you then. was going to try to get these done tonight, but you have triggered my procrastination button quite handily.

19. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    No problem/you're welcome

20. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I'll get something up for Darth Plagueis later today.

21. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Saba Sebatyne (Prepared) vs. Darth Plagueis (Prepared)

I reckon Plagueis could take this without prep. I took him first in the last draft and never prepped him, and he hardly lost, in fact I don't know if he lost at all. He was the master of the most powerful Sith Lord of all time, so knew everything that he knew, and possibly even more. He may not have mastered everything as well as Sidious, but he was still great at everything. Some of his powers included Force lightning, Force wave and Force bellow, which are all extremely powerful and not the easiest powers to get around.

His Force lightning is so powerful that he once absorbed his opponents blaster bolts, turned them into Force lightning, lifted him up to the ceiling and reduced his bones to dust. He also once held hands with a dark side prophetess and electrocuted her to death. In fact his Force lightning was so powerful that he once created a storm of Force lightning that spread over a landscape and started fires.

He could also use heart stun, which allowed him to keep his hearts from failing. Yes, hearts, he has three of them. I don't know if this would help, but if he got stabbed in one, I guess he has two more back up hearts to keep him alive and let him keep fighting. But he could also use this against his opponents, as Sith used this technique to capture opponents without having to fight them.

He was also a master of midi-chlorians, and was able to influence them to heal injuries, which is only one of the things he could do with them. He even once killed someone by eliminating their midi-chlorians.

22. Darth_Furio

Apr 17, 2008
    heels1785 likes this.
  23. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    Dooku managed to beat Plagueis last draft, but I think the consensus was he would come out barely recognizable. Is a prepped Saba above Dooku? Since Plagueis is prepped and all, it would be an even harder fight.

24. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I think a prepared Saba is fairly tough, she is going to be far more brutal physically than Dooku would be. Hard to say who wins that fight though.

25. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Saba's a tank. Sure Plagueis can take a stab in the heart, but Saba has taken some grievous wounds and kept on rolling. Not only is she supremely gifted with a lightsaber, she's physically strong as well. If she closes in enough to turn it physical, Plagueis is in for a world of hurt. And it's not like she'll be using blaster fire against this Sith.

She's also held her own against some powerful opponents, fighting the Dark Lord of the Sith, the Jedi Grand Master and the Star Wars version of Cthulhu in the span of a couple of years.

And yet for all of Plagueis's power, he was nearly killed by those Maladi assassins, and ended up losing half of his face. Against someone as skilled as Saba, who has a arsenal of powers at her disposal to counter him? I think she would win, after a difficult fight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.