main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games The 13th Jedi Draft: Only a Bith Deals in Absolutes. Congrats to our winner. All hail Point Given!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by heels1785 , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Best of luck to you Furio.

2. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    I wish I could argue for your team Furio, but I have already stated my 2 cents on the match. Breaking the Sith squad will be hard, especially when you consider the prep of Caedus/Lumiya and consider the fact that they probably will be side by side the entire fight. Who is going to knock them out of the game?

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Hope to have my breakdown up by lunch, or tonight. Meetings all day.

4. Lenea_Sandstrider

Lenea_Sandstrider Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Still don't know where I'd lean on this match to be honest.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I do. There's only one Jedi team that could beat Furio's squad, and it is Pointy G's. He brings two exquisite field commanders in Jaina and Anakin, and plenty of familial support behind them with Anakin Solo and Ben Skywalker. Saba and The Ganner are more or less wrecking balls, in the same way Caedus is - both can take an immense amount of damage, but maintain usefulness on the battlefield.

However, Caedus has a big problem - Jaina is on the other side. While I agree with Trim that he is better than her, it is not by much, and she will head straight for him, instantly taking him out of the match - not necessarily by defeating him, but by keeping him away from the rest of her team. Anakin shreds either Kun or Krayt, fairly quickly, and then the problems start to build up. Pointy G was my favorite team after the second round, because he is the only team who has two bonafide first rounders, and that makes a massive difference. Nihilus may come into play as a disruptor, but the Jedi have the cohesion to withstand any and all threats posed in this match. There are two natural trumps on one side, (Krieg/Draco and Solo/Veila), and unfortunately one trump that will have a hard time fitting in with their team on the other in Lumi/Barriss.

Furio has built an outstanding group of fighters, with a very powerful top half - unfortunately, he hit the strongest team in the draft. Decision to Pointy.

Mikaboshi and Point Given like this.
  6. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Yeah, in addition to hitting the best team, Furio has the bad luck to run into a team with a #2 that can handle/occupy his #1. Just a bad match-up all around. I'm also going for Pointy for basically the reasons heels hashed out.

Point Given likes this.
  7. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Strongest team in the draft my rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Jordan and Furio, you head to the Jedi Temple. A fitting site for two Sith juggernaut squads. My thanks and congratulations to you both on jobs well done.

Skywalker and Pointy, off we go to the Senate Floor, where a new champion will be crowned.

Numbers as soon as you can.

9. Skywalker_T-65

Skywalker_T-65 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 19, 2009
    Digits in. And good luck PG, though I don't expect you need it :p

10. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
  11. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Also good luck Skywalker!

Skywalker_T-65 likes this.
  12. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Really glad this draft is getting one last hurrah before new trilogy obliterates all the old canon once and for all (unless you guys plan on trying for one more?). But, yeah, in skimming this draft tonight, I have a few random thoughts/observations. Only things involving characters from eliminated teams, mind you.

1. While part of me really loves that Kyp Durron is getting so much respect these days, most of me really kinda wonders why. I'm seeing comments about what an amazing pick he was where he was drafted (end of the second/start of the third area), and he's getting wins where it's like "Oh yeah, no argument needed. Kyp totally has this in the bag.". Matches that seemed really, really arguable, IMO. Mainly because of Kyp's almost complete lack of anything in the way of feats when it comes to lightsaber skill.

Raw power in The Force? No doubt whatsoever. He's got feats to spare. But lightsaber skill? I don't personally like it, but he really does have almost nothing of note. TLI even brought this up in an argument against Kyp and it wasn't really acknowledged. I had Kyp on my team once and argued him to some good wins on Force power alone, all the while silently hoping that the saber skill issue never came up (and I don't think it did).

Jedi Academy Trilogy? Awesome raw Force power feats, nothing really with a lightsaber (although it has been a billion years since I read these, so if I'm forgetting something obvious here, correct me).

Leviathan? Ditto.

NJO? He spent the vast majority of the war (that we saw of him) in the cockpit of a starfighter. And while he does have some more feats in this series that highlight his proficiency in the use of the Force, again, there's practically nothing impressive on his part with a lightsaber. First, he does participate in the rescue of Wurth Skidder, but unfortunately, he's not really showcased at all in the action. He, uh, probably defeated some Vong in that battle, but there's nothing for us to point to and say, "Wow, what skill!". Then we skip all the way ahead to Dark Journey where he "duels" Jaina, and I'll actually come back to that since it (to me, anyway) represents Kyp's lone halfway decent saber feat. And then nothing again until towards the end of the series when he gets his ass handed to him by a dying Vong Slayer and Leia had to bail him out. Yep, I hate that fight, too. But it happened. And that's like... it, for the entire 19 book series.

Dark Nest? Basically nil... oh, except for the raid he participated in against the Kilik ship in The Joiner King... in which the only real detail we get about that portion of the fight is that "Master Durron got his suit punctured and we have to pull back or something and I don't remember the exact line but that's basically it". Yeah, Kyp went in with some other masters, including Saba I think, and all we really get of what's going with them is... yeah, Kyp got hit, no mention of anyone else taking any damage and screw you, Denning! Oh, and he humiliated Corran, which was cool, but again, with the Force, no sabers involved.

LotF? Nothing. He's all talk in this entire series, what little we get of him. There's that sparring scene with Luke and the other masters in... one of the books, where he shows a few moves, but is, once again, much more impressive with his Force skills than anything else. And it was sparring.

FotJ? Zero. Zilch. Denning sucks.

So yeah, against Jaina in Dark Journey. They get into an argument, the sabers come out, and yeah, he and Jaina duke it out in what amounts to a heated sparring match. She's angry, but is not truly serious about trying to hurt him, and in the end, they just kinda stop and Jaina's all like "You didn't win." and Kyp's all like "Yeah, but I will and we both know it." And that, my friends, is Kyp Durron's most impressive fight/display with a lightsaber. A "fight" that was really more of a glorified sparring match against a 17/18 year old Jaina Solo, who by no means whatsoever was worthless at that age, but was still nowhere near either one of her brothers, and there was no satisfactory conclusion to the fight. Merely Kyp's assertion that he was better.

Again, I don't like it at all from a personal standpoint. I think Kyp's been disgustingly underused for pretty much the entire Denning era, but it is what it is. Inty's recent judgment of Cade over Plagueis kinda echoes my thoughts on Kyp overall. Kyp's shown amazing power (Leviathan was badass!), but... ya know... duel time? I just don't get the overwhelming love.

2. Why is it that anyone would want Darth Bane to have his orbalisk armor with prep? He himself even acknowledged that it was a crutch after he'd gotten rid of it. He was sloppy with it. Barely in control of himself. A shell of himself, really. Dynasty of Evil Darth Bane absolutely obliterates Rule of Two Darth Bane in every conceivable category, armor or no. DoE Bane probably has some, but not much difficulty with that BM-assisted trump that he and Zannah have so much trouble with at the end of RoT. I just... no get it.

I have more, but I tired now.

13. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Wang. How's it going!

We'll certainly have one more before the wrecking ball comes down. Probably wait a month or so after the finish, if the interest is there - we waited 2 weeks last time, and I think that was too short.

Waiting on Jordan and Furio, if they can get numbers in - if not, we'll sim. Tomorrow at noon at the latest.

14. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    Leave it to Shurron to show up after an extended a scene and let us know what we got wrong. :p

Welcome back man.

Ps: rather than sim let Shurron and I have those teams. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

heels1785 likes this.
  15. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    I need a distraction, so time to get back in the saddle. Numbers in.

16. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi SWC Jedi Draft Champion star 6 VIP - Game Winner

Sep 30, 2012
    I forgot I still had to play for 3rd place. Numbers in.

17. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    And there we go. This should be fun.

18. Wang Chi

Mar 3, 2013
    Things have been going pretty good lately, heels. And I may just have to participate in the next one in some fashion.

Man, Saba's stock just shot right through the roof, didn't it? Can't say I entirely disagree. Finally got around to finishing FotJ a couple months ago (I'd stopped at Vortex) and, well... yeah. I still say Kiel Charny could take her, though.

19. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Drafting isn't the same without you. Just ask Yak. Gotta come back!

20. Skywalker_T-65

Nov 19, 2009
    It would be nice to get more people in the Draft.

Especially the Old Guard.

21. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I dearly hope you stopped there and didn't continue on to Crucible.

22. Wang Chi

Mar 3, 2013
    That bad, eh? Nope, no Crucible for me. FotJ was enough of a slog. I only powered through that because I'd already read 2/3 of it and was just curious enough about how it ended. Stupidly, turns out.

Yodaminch likes this.
  23. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    No matter how bad you imagine it to be, it's worse.

24. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    I dunno. To me, nothing topped the idiocy that was Invincible.

Darth_Furio likes this.
  25. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008

A mis-characterized Luke, Caedus losing to Jaina. Over powered Mandalorians. LotF bothered me too. Coincidentally, I stopped at Vortex too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.