main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"The $14 SteadyCam" - question

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Oreckel, Aug 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oreckel

Oreckel Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 2002
    I was thinking of making my own steadycam (From the "$14 SteadyCam" tutorial) and I was wondering how easily it comes on and off. Clearly I don't want to leave the steadycam on my camera for it rest of it's days, and I didn't really see much of anything helpful at his website.

So how (and how easily) does it come off? Does it fit into the screw at the bottom of my camera or what?

Thanks. :)

2. MoffJake

MoffJake Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2001
    That thing looks pretty spiffy. According to his desccription of the mount, it simple screws into the tripod mount that nearly all cameras have. So it's just a matter of screwing it in and out. No trouble at all.

:)

3. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Theres a bit of problems in that you have to make SURE you dont drop ur cam when unscrewing it..theres no nut to tighten it, you have to actually spin your cam onto the bolt.

~Neszis~

4. Oreckel

Jul 18, 2002
    Tripod Mount? You mean the screw-hole at the bottom of my camera?

Thanks, guys. :)

5. Junfanman

Junfanman Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2002
    I made this one and it works great. I used a metel platform instead of wood though.

http://videouniversity.com/xlstablz.htm

6. Oreckel

Jul 18, 2002
    That looks nice, but I think the $14 steadycam would work better in my case - my camera (JVC DVM70) is a really small one - about 6 inches tall.

7. fourfools

fourfools Jedi Master star 4

Dec 11, 2000
    i have the same camera, almost, i have the dmv80, great camera's though, very easy to handle

8. Npoz1

Npoz1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2002
    I built the 14 dollar one and it does indeed work (not exactly how I wanted but it works in moderation) I mean I still get a bunch of shakes in there but it sure is 75% better than just with my hands. You also have to perfect the walk, which may make you look stupid, but it makes the footage look that much better. Good luck with it. BTW I have a GL1

9. ---VADER---

---VADER--- Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 23, 2002
    I've been looking into this SteadyCam lately as well. It looks like there are a few people at least who have recreated it. Does anybody have any footage of their 'version'? I'd like to see it in action other than the clip on the SteadyCam's site. Thanks.

---VADER---

10. Angry_Sloth

Angry_Sloth Jedi Youngling

Jul 24, 2002
    I also bulit this steadycam. Be forewarned that it will actually cost closer to $30 than $14. I also recommend mounting a weight to the side pipe just like the bottom. Helps tremendously.

11. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Angry_Sloth, I just built mine, and I had a few things (like I used the 24" on the bottom, and I got a rubber washer) extra, and it only cost me $16.01. I don't know why it cost you $30.

Anyway, it's not as simple as a normal tripod to take on and off, but it's not simple either. I just hold the steadicam with my knees, and I twist the camera down onto the bolt. It takes time, but I try to be careful.

Btw, I'd reccomend these things to everybody, I'm just learning how to use it, and my shots are already REALLY steady. Oh, and it's really easy to make a steady close-to-ground shot.

12. Oreckel

Jul 18, 2002
    Thanks, guys - that's what I need. :)

13. Twisted_Hero

Twisted_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

May 16, 2002
    Here's my stabiliser I made for about AU$40. I haven't tried or tested the $14 version.

CLICKIE Click "continue to website or whatever. Sorry about Geocities.

My version uses a universal joint to isolate hand movements from the camera. If there's interest I'll make an in-depth tutorial on the materials and how to make it..

I guess any stabiliser device relies on the operator to give it a "smooth as possible" ride. so practice practice PRACTICE

Jezza

14. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    This link will take you to a steadicam rig that costs about $40 to make, but it may be a more stable platform for ya.

$41 SteadiCam Harnass

15. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    Yes, please. An in-depth tutorial would be greatly appreciated.
    -Lokmer

16. fourfools

Dec 11, 2000
    i am building one tommorrow, made with a type of gimbal, using ball bearings. i'll take pictures and write up a tutorial, how would you guys prefer it? text with photos or a video one?

17. brokenglassltd

brokenglassltd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2002
    When we had filmed our film, our director made his steady cam for less. It comprised of the top of a tripod to screw the camera to, a car brush and ice scraper and an excercise sand weight. The weight was one which you stap to your ankles or wrist as you jog.
    Compared to this $14 one, which is cheap, it was just as mobile, you won't freeze your tongue on it during winter filming, and most of these parts are found at home already.

18. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    broken, that sounds cool, but...I don't have any of those items at home already. So, I'd still have to go out and buy the stuff.

And FF, I'd like video, if the download will be fast.

19. yodafett999

yodafett999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    Why would you be licking your steadicam in the winter? :p

20. Padan

Padan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2002
    from the video on the "14 dollar steadycam" site, it looks great going on a smoothe surface. Does anyone who has already made one know if it will give the same effect outside on the rough ground?

21. fourfools

Dec 11, 2000
    got all the parts, and i put it all together today, it came out quite good, i have to fix a few things tommorrow to tighten it up in a few places, and i need to drill a few more holes and stuff. Then i'm going to work on the vest and arm to support it. i'll post some pictures tommorrow evening.

22. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    padan - I did a video with it where I more or less sprinted across the thick woods. When I sped it up it looked not too good, but it looks ok at normal speed. Ok as in acceptable but not perfect. Then again, I have not even close to mastered the "glide".

~Neszis~

23. fourfools

Dec 11, 2000

click:

[image=http://www.acketon.com/stabilizer.jpg]

still needs lots of work, i need to add the weights at the bottom and cut slits on the camera plate so that it can slide forward/backward and side to side for balancing.

i also may be changing to a better precision bearing that we just took out of a Saturn that was scrapped ( my parents have a car dealership) it is must smoother, and it has a metal support around it that i can drill into instead of using the pvc pipe around the bearing.

24. fourfools

Dec 11, 2000
    bump...

any interest in tutorial?

25. Npoz1

Npoz1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2002
    I am! I am! also if you do it, please say how much you got everything for so if I do make it I will at least know if i'm getting ripped off

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.