main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games The 17th EUC Starfighter Draft: Pigs on the Wing

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Point Given , Sep 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imiller

imiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2004
    Kell is a brilliant pilot, especially after he conquers his fear in Wraith Squadron. Additionally, he almost certainly has strong understanding of how to fly against a Force-sensitive pilot, given his family situation. Plus, while Zekk has certainly flow quite a bit, I've never gotten the sense that he is particularly devoted to it.

2. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Well, at the outset I was going to argue that Hara has more experience. But after researching, I am not so sure. Katarn has been fighting and flying for well-over 20 years. Hara can't match that.

In addition to that, this match is going to include the Force. In every category I can think of, Master Katarn has demonstrated superior ability concerning the Force. First and foremost, Katarn has a long history of entering and winning combat situations with the Force as his aide. He is adept as using the Force to over-match his opponents. This is a skill he has practiced and developed to the point that few can match it in the galaxy. He is the Jedi Council's battlemaster for a reason. Concerning use of the force, skill of utilizing the force, ability to use the force while fighting with other weapons/vehicles, and experience in this regard, Katarn has proven his skill and deadly efficiency. Hara can not match this.

Secondly, we have flying experience. As I said, I first thought that Hara would beat Katarn here. And if we limit things to on-screen battle experience, Hara might have the edge. But consider this: Katarn has been leading Stealth X squadrons into battle since (at least) the Second Galactic Civil War. I think he did some stuff in the YV war too, but I can not remember. Katarn has been flying against force users and non-force users for quite a while. He has survived dogfights with Sith assassins. He knows how to win battles against force-wielding pilots. And he has a track-record of doing so.

Last, we have skill. Again, there is a wealth of implied skill to Katarn's record. We have seen few on-screen feats, but we do know one thing. This guy has always been successful. We have no record of him getting shot down and definitely not getting killed, and we know for a fact that he has led multiple squardrons of Jedi into engagements from which others have not returned. In this regard, he is in the same company as Kyp Durron, Saba Sebatyne and other Jedi Masters. I am not arguing that he has the skill level they do, but we know that he is in their company, and has been given the same job they have multiple times. And succeeded. That says something. That matters.

Is it a blow-out? Hell no. Can Krasov win? Maybe. But I would say it is clear that Master Katarn has a wealth of combat experience (ESPECIALLY FIGHTING FORCE-USERS), and has a rather good track record of winning dog-fights. He is no stranger to the cockpit, and always succeeds when he gets behind the sticks. He is a Jedi master, and he has been given a vote of confidence by Luke Skywalker and other Jedi Masters. If I had to put my money on somebody, it'd be Katarn.

3. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    I should also probably add that after Kell was shot down in his X-Wing, he was given an ejector-and-shield-less interceptor, and was never shot down again.

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Would it change your mind if I told you that Wedge Antilles hops on one transparisteel leg?

zarkinfrood and Zeta1127 like this.
  5. TypoCelchu

TypoCelchu Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 1, 2005
    No, wrong pilot, 100 points deducted from Slytherin.

s65horsey likes this.
  6. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Farrell was a top X-wing pilot before helping to design an A wing. He flew in the Battle of Yavin. He flew an A-wings in the battle of the Second Death Star and flew into the Death Star with Lando, Wedge, Salm, and Celchu.

Farrell liked speed and maneuverability in his fighters which is ideal for a dogfight situation and he would use this to his fullest advantage.

Farrell wins in experience (started in Imperial Navy through Second Death Star)
    Farrell wins in skill (one of the best in the Imperial Navy at the time and touted as an excellent X-wing pilot and even better A-wing pilot)
    Farrell does not have the force.

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I'm open to changing my Adi vote.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    lol I know that Tal'dira was the brainwashed one, the point was to use the quote. :p

Zeta1127 likes this.
  9. TypoCelchu

Feb 1, 2005
    Talking back to a judge, another 100 points deducted from Slytherin.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You triple trumping monkey.

zarkinfrood and MASTERPRENN like this.
  11. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    But...but you guys, Episode VII is gonna burn all this to the ground! :_|

Based on those QB rankings though, I'm predicting a final of PRENN vs. DarkEagle, where it looks like DE is going to win until BOOM last second trump-bust by Luke to take the title.

Also, how you gonna not give 'sey the Peyton Manning rating?! COME ON MAN

Whoops maybe I should go find the NFL thread again someday

12. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    I love you.

Edit: He tried to give me Tom Brady and I threw a fit.

13. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    zekk survived being insanely outnumbered, and held his fighter together using the force while also continuing to fly effectively (i.e. still getting kills) in the dark nest trilogy. he flew during the vong war as well.

don't have much in the way of time right now, so... don't hold this up on my account.

and again, for some reason i'm not getting any alerts for this thread. it's weird and annoying.

14. TypoCelchu

Feb 1, 2005
    So just check it like you used to before all this fancy technological doowizardry.

15. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Kell Tainer
    Jake Farrell
    Kyle Katarn

16. TypoCelchu

Feb 1, 2005
  17. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Next up is #8!

The Genius Pig Division

725 Imperial Fighter Group (0) vs Can't Take the Sky From Us (1)

Inyri Forge vs Wes Janson

Great shot Janson!

The Wonderful Wandering Whippersnappers (0) vs Mayhem Squadron (1)

Rhysati Ynr vs Kral Nevil

Rhysati

The Schizophrenic Horse Division

Seven Gentlemen and a Princess (1) vs The Non Descripts (0)

Keyan Farlander vs Jhoram Bey

Farlander

Darth Vader Presents: The Squadron (0) vs PANTS ARE GREAT Squadron (1)

Lumiya vs Ace Azzameen

Lumiya

18. TypoCelchu

Feb 1, 2005
    Agreed on all but the last one. That one I want an argument for.

19. adaml83

adaml83 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 8, 2004
    I'll agree with Typo...

20. imiller

Apr 26, 2004
    May I argue that Rhysati was only a Rogue during the Isard campaign, while Nevil was Rogue Two for the Vong War? Or is presenting arguments unasked for unacceptable?

21. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    BAHAHAHAHAHA

22. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    This is going to be a short one. Lumiya has the force, but Ace has skill and experience. Ace saw combat and survived in almost every major battle of the first Galactic Civil War. He has too many victories for me to list in the short amount of time I have, but suffice it say he continually faced odds that were not in his favor and new strategies and tactics from his foes, and successfully adjusted every time. He was involved in dogfights with new Tie Variants like the interceptor and bombers before anybody had ever seen them, and, unprepared, he still successful beat them. He doesn't have experience flying against pilots with the force, but he has experience flying into situations where he faces things that he has not prepared for, and he has continually emerged from those situations victoriously.

23. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    Clutch Janson

24. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    it's acceptable, and can sometimes get you a win that you didn't have. but nevil... you just don't see very much out of him. i honestly couldn't even remember what he was from. it's kind of a case of what we've seen one person do, over what was implied for another, if that makes sense.

25. TypoCelchu

Feb 1, 2005
    I'm voting Ace.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.