main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The 181st Imperial Discussion Group: headquarters thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Apr 3, 2008.

1. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yes, that's right! WE'RE STARTING A NEW THINGY!!!!!!!!![face_dancing]

Starting next month, we'll be introducing a monthly book discussion to Lit. It will consist of a thread dedicated to discussing an older book in depth. We're not going to focus just on reviews, but also on making connections, looking back to see how the book stands now, and analyzing it in a general sense with the perspective of time. We want to get people thinking not just about today's books, but about yesterdays' books and what they mean today. This discussion will be guided by a host who will start the thread and lead discussion with her own discussion points. We are putting this position in the capable hands of beccatoria, so please welcome her and help make this new venture a success.

We'll be starting next month with a thread dedicated to discussing Michael Stackpole's I, Jedi. If you want to participate, start reading to be ready to discuss in depth, and don't feel shy about marking down some points of your own you think would be conducive to discussion.

Discussion threads:
    I, Jedi
    The Black Fleet Crisis: Before the Storm
    The Black Fleet Crisis: Shield of Lies
    The Black Fleet Crisis: Tyrant's Test
    Cloak of Deception
    Young Jedi Knights: Heirs of the Force, Shadow Academy, and The Lost Ones
    Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter
    Young Jedi Knights: Lightsabers, Darkest Knight, and Jedi Under Siege
    The Truce at Bakura
    Han Solo at Stars' End
    Han Solo's Revenge
    Han Solo and the Lost Legacy
    Shadows of the Empire
    Shatterpoint
    The Courtship of Princess Leia
    Agents of Chaos: Hero's Trial
    Agents of Chaos: Jedi Eclipse
    Rogue Planet
    X-wing: Rogue Squadron
    X-wing: Wedge's Gamble
    X-wing: The Krytos Trap
    X-wing: The Bacta War
    Dark Journey
    Children of the Jedi
    Darksaber
    Planet of Twilight
    Jedi Trial
    Tales of the Bounty Hunters
    Yoda: Dark Rendezvous
    X-wing: Wraith Squadron
    X-wing: Iron Fist
    X-Wing: Solo Command
    Medstar I: Battle Surgeons
    Medstar II: Jedi Healer
    Survivor's Quest
    Outbound Flight
    X-wing: Isard's Revenge
    Ambush at Corellia
    Assault at Selonia
    Showdown at Centerpoint
    X-wing: Starfighters of Adumar
    Heir to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising
    The Last Command
    Traitor
    Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    Young Jedi Knights: Shards of Alderaan, Diversity Alliance, and Delusions of Grandeur
    Young Jedi Knights: Jedi Bounty and the Emperor's Plague
    Republic Commando: Hard Contact
    Lando Calrissian and the Mindharp of Sharu
    Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire, Rebel Agent, and Jedi Knight (temp forum)
    Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire, Rebel Agent, and Jedi Knight, plus Jedi vs. Sith (comics)
    Lando Calrissian and the Flamewind of Oseon
    Young Jedi Knights: Return to Ord Mantell, Trouble on Cloud City, and Crisis at Crystal Reef
    Lando Calrissian and the Starcave of ThonBoka
    Tales of the Jedi (comics)
    Star Wars
    Splinter of the Mind's Eye
    I, Jedi (part 2)
    Specter of the Past
    Vision of the Future
    Tatooine Ghost
    Jedi Search
    Dark Apprentice
    Champions of the Force
    Death Troopers

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Well, this certainly sounds like an interesting project. Excellent idea.

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I've been hoping we'd put something together like this for years. Some of us weren't around when the older books came out, and some of the older books have grown better with time. Like DNT has the added factor of interest thanks to Inferno. I'm looking forward to this. [face_peace]

4. Graestan

Graestan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 23, 2008
    I've been waiting for something to get involved with since my recent membership. Looks like this may be it.

5. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Hi all!

I'm massively excited about this project and want to thank Havac for letting me get in on the ground floor. It's going to be a great excuse to reread all these books and I'm looking forward to discussing them with you all.

As Havac said, first up in I, Jedi. I'll have some talking points ready, but please, bring your own thoughts too!

I'll be re-reading all the books prior to the discussions, and I think it'd be a great chance to encourage others to do the same, but obviously, if you haven't reread recently but still want to discuss the book, SHOW UP! :D

I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible next month!

6. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    when exactly will the actual discussion begin? do you guys know?

I'm just trying to get an idea as to when I should actually read it. I could do it now, since I've got about 50 pages left in my current book, or I could squeeze in a couple other ones before returning to I, Jedi. :p

7. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Great Idea Ya'll.:) I'll take I Jedi out from the local library to give it a second looky, looky.

8. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    Hav's welcome to correct me, but I'm planning to post the thread on the first of the month. I'll also give the title of the book up for discussion the next month in that thread. A book a month seems managable at most people's reading rates without being too time-consuming.

I'd also welcome suggestions as to what books we should discuss in future, although the current plan is to move onto the Black Fleet Crisis books for the months following I, Jedi.

9. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    This sounds great. And I, Jedi is actually one of the few Star Wars books I've read more than once. :p

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I, JEDI SUCKS!!!1!!11!one!!1!

Presumably, people should not simply post that. ;)

11. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    Post that, and I will HERD you like the CAT that you are, dp! :p

12. JediHobbit

JediHobbit Jedi Master star 5

Mar 2, 2002
    what about reading I, Jedi along with the JAT. That way we'd be better able to juxtapose the depiction of events in both cases. i only bring this up because I've always wanted (and never got around) to read all the books concurrently: start I, Jedi, get to a point that references JAT, go and read that until the next scene in I, Jedi is reached, and so on.

13. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    JediHobbit
    what about reading I, Jedi along with the JAT. That way we'd be better able to juxtapose the depiction of events in both cases.

I actually think that's a great idea.

And Beccatoria, Congratulations! I think you're the perfect person to lead these discussions.
    You're always open to new ideas and perspectives, and you're always respectful. Plus, your posts are always intelligent and well-thought out.

14. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001

I think it's a great idea, as well. Makes up for having to read the books later on. Book on of JAT and I, Jedi are so similiar, there's a whole lot of ground to compare.
    And my ulterior motive for this is no other than Kyp, so there. [face_blush]

15. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    Thanks for the compliment, CoW [face_blush] - I hope to see you around for the discussions - the Bantam era is your stomping ground, after all! :)

As to reading JAT and I, Jedi at the same time, at the moment the plan is to discuss some of the overlooked EU, which is why we're not starting with something as iconic as JAT or TTT. The JAT actually takes up a comparatively small section of I, Jedi but it's always strongly associated with it (for obvious reasons).

Clearly the discussion will veer towards the JAT at certain points because I, Jedi is inextricably tied to it, and we do want to discuss the connections between the discussed books and the wider EU. But I'm hoping to focus a little more exclusively on what that means for I, Jedi rather than dealing with both books concurrently.

So for the moment, it'll just be I, Jedi, with the JAT drawn in peripherally when the discussion ambles that way. :)

16. Emperor_Time

Emperor_Time Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2007
    That a great idea. :D

17. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Sounds awesome :D

18. Ashandarei

Ashandarei Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 2004
    This sounds great. I think that one of the reasons the old Lit Review forum had to go was that there was no discussion, there were simply individual reviewers posting their thoughts without any feedback or idea exchange, many threads being years old. This will make the process both fun and informative, I think.

19. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    This is incredibly exciting. And that's a great choice of books to start with. I'm looking forward to thinking about how some of the issues raised in I, Jedi relate to some of the ongoing issues in LotF and even things that cropped up in the NJO. Very cool.

Good luck, Becca, and congrats.

- Keralys

20. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    This, Super-Special Lit Book Review Club Thread Discussion Thingy! sound quite cool and I'd love to take part. I do have one question because I'm just starting Wraith Squadron.

Question: Does I, Jedi have any big Wraith Squadron series spoilers cause I'll have to skip the Discussion Thingy this book around if there are. You know, details on how they take Zsing goes down and all. Does Stackpole make many Allston references?

21. Master_Keralys

Master_Keralys VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 8, 2003
    No. So far as I can remember, Stackpole didn't spoil anything of Wraith Squadron trilogy in I, Jedi. You're safe.

EDIT: Just looked it up, and he definitely didn't. I, Jedi came out a mere month after Wraith Squadron and before the later novels. :)

- Keralys

22. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Excellent!. Thanks so much, Master_Keralys![face_peace]

23. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Excellent, I've been meaning to re-read that one for a while, so this'll give me a kick in the pants.

24. canadianjedimama

canadianjedimama Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 28, 2008
    Awesomeness...:cool:

Gives me yet another excuse to re-read my SW books.

Though I can't find my copies of the OT, I Jedi or Allegiance.

*shakes fist at the book stealing gnomes*

I'm in!

25. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    How can we make suggestions for books to be reviewed? PM, in this thread?