main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The 181st Imperial Discussion Group: headquarters thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Apr 3, 2008.

1. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    I wouldn't be against it - I think, though, it'd be better to do them like we did the other series - several of the books throughout a month? We can check how general opinion is closer to the end of the year?

2. JediMasterKendo

JediMasterKendo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 2, 2000
    Jedi Eclipse novel SPOILERS alert

Since yesterday I've been reading the Jedi Eclipse novel and finished it 2 hours ago. Pretty good book but it still upsets me that Jacen was still holding Anakin back and Anakin even said he would have been able to have the Centerpoint shoot at only the vong. Also Worth Skidder's sacrifice in my opinion was a bit rushed. I mean come. Just like that?

3. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    Showdown at Centerpoint discussion is up:

http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/31836529/p1/

Next month, Starfighters of Adumar!

Kendo - I need to check to be sure, but I don't think we did the duology that has Jedi Eclipse in it yet; that might be an interesting suggestion for an NJO novel set to do in the 181st. I'll keep it in mind. We're booked up through the end of the year, but we do need ideas for 2012, since people don't seem to have gotten bored of me throwing up monthly posts yet. ;)

4. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    We did.

5. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    Which will teach me to post before I'm heading out and don't have enough time to check the first page. *facepalm*

Also, wow, we've got to the point where I can't remember all the stuff we've done. I knew we'd done one of the early NJO duologies, but for some reason was totally convinced it was the Greg Keyes one.

6. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    You're right. We should do Edge of Victory soon. :)

7. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/31882724/p1/

Starfighters of Adumar is up.

In addition, I'll repost here a more personal message -

"But first, I have an announcement. I will be stepping down as host of the 181st at the end of the year, or possibly before. Hav is out headhunting an awesome replacement and hopefully I will still be able to show up and participate in discussions. I cannot overstate how much I've enjoyed hosting this, and how it's kept me feeling connected to the Board and the Lit Community and provided a entertaining and thoughtful distraction during periods of real-life stress. However, I'm going to be entering a period of my life when I'll have less time to be here (though rest assured, I still plan to lurk and one day return - I don't think I could ever give up this place).

So, I want to say, thank you everyone who's ever posted or read these threads - you have all been fantastic. [:D]"

8. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    Heir to the Empire discussion is up! :D

http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/31924797/p1/

9. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    Dark Force Rising discussion is up:

http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/31965018/p1/

10. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Before I make a decision on who will replace Becca as 181st discussion leader, I'd like to hear from anyone who wants to volunteer for the post. Anyone interested in volunteering for the position of 181st discussion leader, please send me a PM.

11. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    http://boards.theforce.net/literature/b10003/31999898/p1/

The Last Command discussion is up!

Which marks my final thread as host - as I noted in the thread itself, thank you all for such a great time doing this - I'll miss you and hope to see you around the boards even if I can't be here as much as I'd like.

[:D]

12. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Hey, everybody. I'd like to announce that, starting in January, Grey1 will be the new host of the 181st Imperial Discussion Group. I'm sure he'll do a great job, so please welcome him to the 181st!

13. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    I'd give a speech if I had one and if it wasn't bedtime for me right now. I'll make my first offcial statement a bit later... [face_peace]

14. beccatoria

Dec 8, 2006
    Excellent! I think Grey1 is a great choice, and I wish him lots of luck, even though he won't need it. [:D]

15. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6W6Agqujpw

*hundreds of identical 181st Lit goers load up on ships beneath him*

16. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    You think I should put something in about becca having tried to overthrow the lit forums, and that I will bring lasting peace to the 181st...? [face_thinking]

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    You will create a grand lit group to encounter the increasing threat of dumb conversation!

18. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    Reads like it would sound good over the speakers of a gigantic room with some echo... I'll take it!

19. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    OK, let's get this thing going... Charles, the boombox, please. As you all know, Becca tried to overthrow the lit forums. Her actions have left my avatar scarred for life (as you will see once I get the red colours. btw, Hav - of course I'll take the colours and the title! Pretty please!). Now, I will create a grand lit group to encounter the increasing threat of dumb conversation!

With that out of the way, and with the question growing in my mind if I'll really be able to do such a good job for such a long time as Becca did, we do have to settle on a January book, don't we?

I'll be away for a few days during which you can discuss what you want to do (and please don't stop at January). My first suggestions are, and feel free to tear them apart or embrace them with your heart:

1) Galaxies: Ruins Of Dantooine. The worst cover ever done, one of the most... impactless stories imaginable, and all done to promote a MMO. Seeing how we're just on the verge of another MMO opening, one which is a tad more creative and already produced more offspring than just one cash-in novel, how about casting our eyes on the history book of multiplayer online RPG video game representation in the EU? And yeah, I know that I didn't do my best to make the book seem interesting in itself, but one idea behind the onehundredeightyfirst is to read the onehundredeightyworst novels that no-one would pick up by themselves, am I right?

2) Now here's a bombshell. Recently, a surprisingly peaceful discussion that only needed *some* moderation revisited the works of Karen Traviss. Could this be the ideal point in time to do Republic Commando: Hard Contact in here? I'm highly interested in examining how this fun read stands the test of time, especially seeing that the test of time exposed particularities of the author's style and favoured content that would be fun to look out for. I know that this is a risky move, but if it pays off, we might get new readers. Plus, I don't start as a lit group host every month, so we could at least start with some kind of a bang. BTW, I probably wouldn't do the other books for the time being, seeing how it only gets more difficult to keep the discussion on track, plus several other reasons.

3) Then again, if this is my first month and I get kind of a free pick that's something special we probably wouldn't do normally, I'd like to propose my favourite novel. And that's Traitor. I know that this doesn't fit the bill as a "lesser known EU work" at all, and as with Rep Com, there's already been lots of discussion about this one. Still, I think it's a good one, and one I know I'll have fun re-reading, which is a bonus over the festive season. And maybe, just maybe, we'll find something hidden in there beyond the dark side question and the Sith retcon outcries...? Plus, we did Dark Journey some time ago; might as well do the counterpart.

1 and 2 could easily take a later spot in the schedule as well. In addition, as we're probably about to deal with a lot more from the NJO era as the Bantam stuff is done in its broad and finer strokes, I'd like to propose a stretch of the NJO main event novels. How does the series hold up if we only read the "hardcovers"? Do we get the vital information, do we still get a thrilling story like the original marketing plan intended? Do we get the movie feeling of "having missed something" when the next episode starts? I think it's a fresh way of reading the NJO, and I think we're about to view the NJO in a much more segmented way than just "OMG 19 book megaseries".

So, err, how do I say this? Discuss.

20. TheRedBlade

TheRedBlade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 17, 2007
    Congrats on the promotion, Grey1!

Personally, I would vote for Hard Contact. Like many others, Traitor is one of my favorite Star Wars novels. However, I feel that its excellence are so transparent, and have been so much discussed in conversations about Jacen, that that ground is pretty well-tilled.

Hard Contact, on the other hand, has been overtaken by both the later (and more controversial) Republic/Imperial Commando books and the TCW Mandalorian episodes. It would be interesting, I think, to go back to the origin of the modern modern Mando resurgence and see how it stacks up to what has come since.

21. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    Belated thanks, Red.

Soooo... anyone else? Currently, the vote is:

Ruins Of Dantooine: 0
    Hard Contact: 1
    Traitor: 0

Other suggestions: 0, suggestions for coming months: 0. I know that we've all got lots of stuff to do, but... you know...

22. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    As for the list you have, I don't have Ruins of Dantooine. Traitor I've read. Hard Contact I have, but I haven't read. So either Hard Contact or Traitor is fine by me.

As for the upcoming months, I wouldn't mind going back to the Young Jedi Knight novels. We can do the Diversity Alliance arc in one month and the Black Sun arc in another month.

23. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Dark Forces novellas. And since TPM will be out in theaters again soon, how about Episode I Adventures (the young adult books, not the comics)?

24. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I'd like to suggest The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance.

If I need to vote for one of those three, Traitor.

Ruins of Dantooine should never be read by anyone, ever again.

25. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I'm hesitant, but Hard Contact would be my vote. That said I'm not sure how it will work out.

Traitor is simply in constant discussion around the forum, while I'm sure it would be popular I also think it would be repetitive.