main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The 181st Imperial Discussion Group: headquarters thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Apr 3, 2008.

1. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    I can get behind it. The atmospheric elements in particular would be interesting to examine and compare to other Star Wars literature- not to mention there's certainly interest in discussing such topics, if Jello's Kodak Moments thread is any indication. It's an experiment of sorts with the EU, and it could be interesting to examine just what worked and what didn't.

TrakNar likes this.
  2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    I back Jeffo's suggestion of HOT.

3. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    We'll leave those out for the time being since they aren't part of the Ulic/Nomi/Exar storyline. But who knows, if discussion dies down quickly anyway, I might start simply throwing more stuff at you... ;)

Noted. Might be a good diversion in 2013. From April on, this makes HoT, JAT (probably with I, Jedi) and BHT in the maybe pile and RC/TCW in the we'll think about it pile.

Death Troopers... I think I'll check it out eventually, would be nice to have you folks to discuss it with. And as RC noted, a special focus like the atmospheric angle is just as good as the basic what worked/what didn't approach that we should generally use in here all the time. And with a book that really isn't just a book but a concept first of all, it's even better to think about how that concept can and can't be used. If you are all interested, how about Halloween next year?

Around that time, we could also do the other prequel novelizations because of the 3D releases; however, ROTS isn't really a book we'd do in here since it's probably too prominent. Too good for us. [face_sigh];) AOTC... I'd say that it fits the bill as a book that doesn't get read and talked about a lot anymore, but I'm not sure if we'd get a lot out of it. Might make sense if there's another re-release, and if people think they need to get some more mileage out of the pricey hardcover they bought back in the day. Maybe a novel/comic comparison? The Tusken slaughter scene is perfect for such an enterprise since the style for its portrayal changes more than would be necessary based on the differences of the three media.

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I wouldn't say I'm against the comic idea, but I'm not perticularly for it either.

I'm all for ANH and Splinter.

JAT introduced characters and settings that have been regularly used for the near two decades since its release. Kessel and the Maw have featured prominatly of late, as has Daala. Kyp is one of the most popular EU Jedi ever, even if he has been underused of late. The YJK series is simply of almost no interest to me when compared to JAT.

The timeframe concerns I see, the expense concerns I don't. I mean how much is it going to cost me to run out and get three or four trade paperbacks for TOTJ? A lot more than 1 TCW novelization me thinks.

While I think a lot of interesting discussion would and could be generated by those novels I'm inclined to believe it would be better to just steer clear of them for now. If the Stover IC 2 is for real([face_praying]) it would likely be a great idea to revisit some of them when it is coming out. If a KT book was in the works I'm thinking TCW Novelization or No Prisoners would work better as they are both standalones that would not require a block of months to go over.

Though we don't have the full list currently handy I find it difficult to believe that we are running out of books to retro review. Tossing in some comics would fix some of that of course.

A quick search didn't find me a 181st Discussion for Tatooine Ghost. Did that book get done? I also find myself wondering about stuff like Dark Nest and the NJO books we have yet to review. Seems to me like there are a bunch of options still open novel wise.

5. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I'm not sure about doing the NJO just yet- like Grey said about ROTS, too prominent for us- but I could definitely get behind doing Tatooine Ghost this year. It would be interesting to read Denning pre-Dark Nest, see if his authorial tics pop up earlier, maybe examine the whole White Eyes thing from a new angle.

So, TotJ in January, ANH in February, Splinter in March, maybe do Specter in April, TG and Vision sometime in the summer, another comic (maybe Dark Empire or Quinlan Vos omnibus) at some point depending on how TotJ goes, and Deathtroopers in October?

6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Ah, the Bounty Hunter Wars... Thankfully, I've reread parts of it recently enough to actually remember it to discuss it. I can get behind on a discussion of the Bounty Hunter Wars.

And how we can blame it for Zuckuss's mental illnesses.

7. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
  8. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    February 2013: Star Wars.

So, what do you think - should we take I, Jedi for another spin as the 181st celebrates its fifth birthday this April?

9. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Sounds good to me.

10. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
  11. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
  12. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Any chance of updating the original post with everything since Wraith Squadron? ... Including links to the temp forums? [face_batting] I can help with the hunting if need be.

13. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, the old links are all broken, too.

14. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    Sorry, we had a slight weapons malfunction in here. Everything's under control now.

I'll also look into getting a complete list of links, but it'll take some time.

So... the next months. I'd really like to do Jedi Academy so we have the entire Exar Kun stuff out of the way. We're still set for Deathtroopers in October, prepping for Halloween - or should we read it for Halloween and then discuss in November? Movie novelizations are on the backburner since there's no 3D in sight. Tatooine Ghost we could do in July coninciding with Denning's new entry. So how about...

May - Spectre Of The Past
    June - Vision Of The Future (especially to highlight the conncections to I, Jedi)
    July - Tatooine Ghost
    August - JAT 1
    September - JAT 2
    October - JAT 3
    November - Death Troopers
    December - some comic to round off the year. Maybe Golden Age, even if nobody likes it? At least we'd be forced to read it again. And maybe there's an audio drama that RC can threepio for us...

Which would move the Bounty Hunter Trilogy up to 2014.

15. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    GAOTS lacks an audio drama. Whether that statement merits a "fortunately" or an "unfortunately" is up to the beholder.

The Dark Empire Trilogy, on the other hand...

16. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
  17. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
  18. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    Whoa, thanks, Jeff!

I'd be up for Dark Empire instead of Golden Age. NJO, and especially EoV, sound good, too, but what would you remove from the proposed 2013 schedule? The others seem to be natural fits - HoT goes well with I, Jedi, we really should do JAT, TG makes sense especially if Crucible turns out to be the last Denning novel...And november/december sound like a little fun right now. Not that EoV doesn't sound like fun.

And, you know, I still want to do that five month NJO hardcover marathon. And since you don't just start the complete 19 book run privately without a reason, you make me wonder if a one-and-a-half-year-181st special would work... but we'd be the 181st NJO discussion group then, wouldn't we.

19. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    I like the 2013 schedule. Just looking ahead is all. :cool: Speaking of looking ahead --- have we really never done The Crystal Star? Will Waru ever forgive us?

20. Grey1

Nov 21, 2000
    You will find that Waru isn't the forgiving type.

21. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Some more looking-ahead musings: Like I mentioned in the Glove of Darth Vader thread, I think it would be a fun idea to do all six Jedi Prince books in one month. Ditto Junior Jedi Knights. They're far lower on the radar than their bigger, YJK brothers.

Bantamwise, we've also never done The New Rebellion. NJO-wise, I like your five-month hardcover idea (but maybe split up and intermingled with others?). Vector Prime would be a great piece for in-depth discussion; Balance Point flies pretty low under the radar and could use some analysis; Star By Star is very polarizing and would light up the boards' Destiny's Way would make Nick happy; everyone loves The Unifying Force.

Whatever you do, though, don't take all of my ideas into consideration. :D If you only choose one, make it Edge of Victory.

22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    That's sorta what I'm doing over in the Jedi Prince thread :p. I'll probably stretch it out to a bit longer than a month, though.

23. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    As far as comics, I suggest Tales. They're seriously underdiscussed, though they might be an awkward fit to the format.

24. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I nominate Yavin Vassilika for a possible comics discussion.

25. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I would definitely be down with Edge of Victory, as A) it's awesome, and should feel awesome, and B) I've read Keyes' other tie-in fiction- his Elder Scrolls duology- and might be able to make comparisons and such.