main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Games The 18th EUC Starfighter Draft: Older than a Disney Princess

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by The Loyal Imperial, Mar 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
  2. Mikaboshi

Mikaboshi Force Ghost star 6

Jul 12, 2005
    Yeah, TLI specifically said he would allow this.

Still looking at you DE. :p

3. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    I personally find it morally-questionable-rule-breaking :p

It has been addressed in previous drafts about dropping higher-quality pilots during free-agency and, iirc, those drops were rescinded.

4. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Might be questionable, but I can't really consider it rule breaking. You can consider it my fault for not explicitly prohibiting it when we started, but I'm no more inclined to create new rules now than I am to dropping rules already established when we started.

5. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    and it's not like they're "high round" draftees anyway, both went in the sixth or below. people have dropped sixth rounders before simply because they realized they goofed up. now if it was the wes for gavin trade? then you'd have a leg to stand on in regards to that. i wouldn't even consider doing something like that either. that's... just too questionable. not to mention if someone was really on top of things they could grab said second/third rounder and replace their 8. just dubious to put it mildly.

also, considering the... lack of distinction of the trade rules at the start, it's basically what we were wanting to do anyway to make the other part fair. i mean, if you really want us to undo it i can. but i'll still be dropping declann. i don't want him. i got him with the purpose of trading, so becca could still grab him if that's what she'd want to do. it really changes very little one way or another.

6. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Lewis Conference

266 Squadron (Point Given)
    vs.
    Tosche Station Power Converters (RX_Sith)

Requiem for a Draft (Trimaj)
    vs.
    Trade-Bait (DarkEagle)

Clark Conference

The Not So Avenging Avengers (whiteeagle)
    vs.
    PRENNTACULAR (PRENNTACULAR)

Jedi Starfighter Corps (Mikaboshi)
    vs.
    Nobody move! I've dropped me brain (Rebecca_Daniels)

Free Agency is now closed. You have 24 hours to submit your numbers, or they will be simulated for you.

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Let's get some breakdowns judges!

Trimaj likes this.
  8. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    yeeesssss... breakdowns would be good

and numbers in.

i'd wish you luck DarkEagle but i really want to beat you...

9. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    alright... list of squads to make this easier for the judges, should they be willing to do breakdowns. also, sorry about the double post.

Requiem for a Draft (Trimaj)

1. Luke Skywalker
    2. Gavin Darklighter
    3. Derek "Hobbie" Klivian
    4. Horton Salm
    5. Kasan Moor
    6. Jorham Bey
    7. Kell Tainer
    8. Tyria Sarkin-Tainer

Trade-bait (DarkEagle)

1. Soontir Fel
    2. Saesee Tiin
    3. Jagged Fel
    4. Obi-Wan Kenobi
    5. Syal Antilles
    6. Rookie One
    7. Myri Antilles
    8. Edor Crespin

266 Squadron (Point Given)

1. Wedge Antilles
    2. Pash Cracken
    3. Keyan Farlander
    4. Jake Farrell
    5. Ace Azzameen
    6. Anj Dahl
    7. Nrin Vakil
    8. Octa Ramis

Jedi Starfighter Corps (Mikaboshi)

1. Anakin Skywalker
    2. Maarek Stele
    3. Adi Galia
    4. Saba Sebatyne
    5. Tesar Sebatyne
    6. Plo Koon
    7. Lowbacca
    8. Mace Windu

Tosche Station Power Converters (RX_Sith)

1. Tycho Celchu
    2. Corran Horn
    3. Ooryl Qyrgg
    4. Aril Nunb
    5. Garik "Face" Loran
    6. Bror Jace
    7. Nym
    8. Asajj Ventress

PRENNTACULAR

1. Darth Vader
    2. Turr Phennir
    3. Mara Jade Skywalker
    4. Anakin Solo
    5. Imperial Ace
    6. Shira Brie
    7. Ben Skywalker
    8. Shawnkyr Nuruodo

The Not So Avenging Avengers (whiteeagle)

1. Jaina Solo
    2. Kyp Durron
    3. Inyri Forge
    4. Myn Donos
    5. Zekk
    6. Lando
    7. Alinn Varth
    8. Dash Rendar

Nobody move! I've dropped me brain (Rebbeca_Daniels)

1. Han Solo
    2. Wes Janson
    3. Jacen Solo
    4. Asyr Sei'lar
    5. Biggs Darklighter
    6. Nial Declann
    7. Bela Hara
    8. Krasov Hara

10. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I don't really care if I see breakdowns at all, they don't matter much once the matches start happening anyway.

11. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    it's still interesting to see how the judges think you did. i'd consider doing some but i think i'm going to be busy

12. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    Trade-Bait

1. Soontir Fel
    2. Saesee Tiin
    3. Jagged Fel
    4. Obi-Wan Kenobi
    5. Syal Antilles
    6. Rookie One
    7. Myri Antilles
    8. Edor Crespin

I wouldn't be too concerned as you are the winning-est gm vs me :p

13. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    lol! really? i honestly did not know that. that means you're due beating me you realize...

14. DarkEagle

Jan 10, 2009
    Yeah, I'm like 2-4 vs you. I beat you last draft, so I probably won't win for another couple drafts :p

15. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    i didn't... have precisely the best squadron last time around. that was like the definition of a motley crew or something like that.

16. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    oh. and you obviously had a better squad than me DE. didn't mean to make light of it or anything. you definitely deserved that win.

EDIT

wait... edit times are more than thirty minutes long? wasn't aware of that...

17. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Lewis Conference

266 Squadron (0) vs. Tosche Station Power Converters (0)
    Anj Dahl vs. Asajj Ventress

Requiem for a Draft (0) vs. Trade-Bait (0)
    Kell Tainer TRUMPED with Tyria Sarkin vs. Soontir Fel

Clark Conference

The Not So Avenging Avengers (0) vs. PRENNTACULAR (0)
    Kyp Durron vs. Anakin Solo

Jedi Starfighter Corps (0) vs. Nobody move! I've dropped me brain (0)
    Saba Sebatyne vs. Nial Declann

We're opening with two.

18. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    Crap sorry you had to sim my numbers man. been slackin

19. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
  20. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Clearly your ex-fiancee is to blame

- harpuah

21. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    well. that's annoying.

those seem reasonably obvious to me at least. but it's nice to get this shendig underway.

22. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    This round doesn't seem that hard.

23. Wang Chi

Wang Chi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Fel
    Kyp
    Saba

I'm also going with Ventress for the first one. Anj is pretty solid, no doubt. Been a while since I read the issues, but I do recall the battles she flew in, and yep, they were all pretty intense. Becoming Rogue Leader for an extended stretch also certainly has to count for something. Not that it means that it automatically puts her on a level with legends like Luke, Wedge, Tycho, Jaina etc, but no scrub pilot is going to be given that position. Problem with her (and Bey as well, IMO) is that she pretty much completely lacks in any kind of specific feats that truly showcase her level of skill. The reason for that, IMO, is because the Legacy comics had such a broad focus. There was so much going on that they couldn't really spend too much time on the space battles and dogfighting. Had there been some sort of Legacy version of the old X-wing comics, I have no doubt we'd have gotten some really nice, specific, individual-type feats for us to go on, and her stock would likely be quite a bit higher. But there wasn't, so we don't.

Ventress, on the other hand, has just that. Two jump to mind immediately. First is in the Clone Wars season 3 episode Nightsisters. As part of a squadron of droid fighters (which she's of course leading), she manages to down at least one capital ship. Again, part of a team, but she was the one who went directly for the bridge and showed some nice evasive flying against a lot of turbolaser batteries. Then, moments later, she relentlessly dogs Kenobi and manages to shoot him down, forcing him to land in the hanger bay of another capital ship. This is significant to me because Kenobi is proven to be a fairly excellent defensive pilot. Don't think so? I invite you to re-watch the dogfight in AotC between him and Jango in the asteroid field. He may not really enjoy piloting, but you can't tell me after watching that scene again that he doesn't have some serious, serious moves regardless of that. So she tags Kenobi and then Anakin comes up behind her and returns the favor (Which I don't consider much of a knock as her attention was diverted, and really, how many pilots out there don't get hit by Anakin freakin' Skywalker in that situation? Not very many.).

The second instance is the infamous Clone Wars microseries thing. Yeah, yeah, I know, this ol' conversation. In the end, though, until it's officially said otherwise, that series is canon. Now, that said, canon or no, I still take quite a few things in that series with some fairly massive grains of salt. I can't completely discount it, but at the same time... eh, you know what I mean. Like the Mace Windu vs. army of droids thing. HOWEVER, the Anakin/Ventress dogfight is not one of those things. In this particular instance, I feel comfortable taking the scene at face value because there isn't anything inherently absurd about it. But yeah, she manages to go toe-to-toe with one of the greatest pilots, like, ever, and holds her own fairly well all things considered. And then she leads on a VERY prolonged chase, and he just. Can't. Get her. And he's definitely trying to, while kinda playing right into her hands, actually. Lots of skill shown by her in that chase sequence, and though I have little doubt that he would've taken her down eventually, she evaded him for more than long enough to impress me.

So she's shown outstanding defensive piloting skill against a top-tier opponent, and great offensive piloting against a lesser (but still very good) opponent that's proven to be an expert defensive pilot himself. And the fact that both instances were basically in a one-on-one scenario, which is precisely what we deal with in these individual matches, only helps her case. Do we have any idea how well Anj would perform outside of large scale battle against a single skilled opponent with any kind of notable feats to their credit? Nope... not that we know of, at least. We know with Ventress, though, in addition to knowing that she's got some experience in the larger scale stuff as well. That, to me, is enough to give her the nod over Dahl and her Rogue Leader status. Most likely a very solid dogfight, but Ventress wins.

Wow, that turned out much, much longer than I planned.

24. Mikaboshi

Jul 12, 2005
    I brought all that stuff up in the last draft and it was dismissed out of hand, basically was told that TCW canon was going to be ignored. Picking and choosing what canon to use makes drafts much more consistent I guess. :p

25. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    Fel
    Kyp
    Saba
    I'm going to go with Anj Dahl for the last one. I think that is a close enough matchup to go to three judges and I tend to go with career pilots in close matchups over force users.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.