main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The 2001 Original Character Awards--Nominations Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarkJade, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkJade

DarkJade Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2001
    Well, here it is boys and girls!

Timing:

ALL nominations must be in by Dec. 25th. That means that at midnight PST that officially marks the start of Christmas Day, the nominating will be closed.

I?ll do the vote count and hopefully have the voting thread up by the 26th barring many problems and then voting will go on until Jan 1st. This means that at midnight PST that officially marks the start of the new year, the voting will be closed.

Rules:

1) All catagories pertain to ORIGINAL CHARACTERS in SW fanfiction only. This also means that even if the story is AU, you can't vote for an AU Obi-Wan, Anakin, etc. I understand that there are several wonderful characterizations out there where canon characters have been portrayed as very different but this is really to applaud those who had the creative insight to create a new character on their own w/no prompting whatsoever from GL's brain.

2) You can have overlapping voting. As in, if you vote for say ?Bar Bar Jinks? as Original Male Character, you can also vote for him as Best Original Character in a Main Role or something.

3) Be fair. If you have multiple screennames on this board, don't sign in pretending to be different people and voting for your favorite! That's just stuffing ballots!

4) Be respectful. No flaming of people's choices, no snide remarks about who people pick. Just vote and give thanks on the thread but NO flaming. If there is anything like that, your vote will be nulled.

The Catagories:

Best Original Character (this one you can choose from any timeframe you wish)

Best Female Original Character

Best Male Original Character

Best Original Character Couple (Romantic or otherwise. If you think a particular master/padawan team is awesome or Jedi Knights who are awesome at working together, this is the catagory to vote in)

Most Likely To Be Mistaken as a Canon Character Original Character

Best Force-Sensitive OC Character

Best Non-Force sensitive OC Character

Best Original Character in a Supporting Role

Best Original Character in a Main Role

Best Original Character in a Villain Role

**Thank you to Melyanna for the great suggestions on some of these!**

And of course, PLEASE remember to put along w/the nominations the AUTHOR of the character as well as in what STORY the character appears in.

2. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    One, question, can you vote for the same character in two different categories?

3. DarkJade

DarkJade Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2001
    Yes, you can. That's talked about in Rule #2.

4. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    That's Rule #2.

I realize I haven't read many fanfics, but of the few I have read, here are my votes:

Best Original Character

Cassa, from Qwi_Xux's A Light in the Darkness

Amara Solo, from Lonewolf's A New Beginning

Cassa

Raday

Cassa

Amara Solo

5. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    Okay, now that I've branded myself as an idiot, here are my nominees:

Best Original Character: Cassa Solo Created by Qwi_Xux

Best Female Original Character: Ryo Kin'Pax Created by TheFallen

Best Force-Sensitive OC Character Cassa Solo

Best Non-Force sensitive OC Character Ryo Kin'Pax Created by The Fallen

Best Original Character in a Supporting Role Cassa Solo Created by Qwi_Xux

Best Male Original Characte:Wes Ban'An Created by Jedi Joon

I'll probably edit this later.

6. DarkJade

DarkJade Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2001
    Oh, OHH, no I am the branded idiot b/c I forgot to put a rather important request up before. Will have to go and edit but guys,

remember to write in who wrote the character and in WHAT FIC they appear in!!

7. SiriGallia

SiriGallia Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2001
    Best Original Character: LinLee A'sra~~Sarah_K~~The Healer

Best Female Original Character: LinLee A'sra~~Sarah_K~~The Healer

Best Male Original Character: Thom Capella~~Hai_Gan~~You Can Run But You Can't Hide

Best Original Character Couple: LinLee A'sra and Myke ;) Sarah_K~~Family Snapshots

Most Likely To Be Mistaken as a Canon Character Original Character: Huh?

Best Force-Sensitive OC Character: Tinuviel~~Jedi_Arwen~~The Letters

Best Non-Force sensitive OC Character: Reg~~Cassia~~The Hunted

Best Original Character in a Supporting Role: Calia~~Cassia~~Hold Onto Me

Best Original Character in a Main Role: Oooh boy, I really can't say.

Best Original Character in a Villain Role: Vu-Kaa~~Cassia~~Deep In The Night

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obviously I like two writers a lot ;)

8. Rokangus

Rokangus Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 18, 2000
    Best Original Character: Dalan Kalamar from Whiskey in the Jar Jar's Stranger Series

Best Female Original Character: Nadja Moranna from Casper Knightshade's Nadja Short Stories

Best Male Original Character: Arcturus Lynx from GA Jaxx's Trials of the Force Series

Best Original Character Couple: Alright I know I'm gonna hate myself for doing this, but just so they make it in here, my two chatacters: Kelak and Dejirra Gheruit from Dark Spirits

Most Likely To Be Mistaken as a Canon Character Original Character: Obi Wan Kenobi from Jedi Loren's Dreams Die Hard

Best Force-Sensitive OC Character: Darth Arkus from Di-Lee's The Promised Future

Best Non-Force sensitive OC Character: Calvin Y'saiah from Ty-Gon's Advent of War

Best Original Character in a Supporting Role: Neesa from DarkATX's Neutrality Saga

Best Original Character in a Main Role: Isn't this redundant of the first one? ?[face_plain]

Best Original Character in a Villain Role: Magus Prophet from Casper Knightshade's The Dark Hope

9. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    I came up with another possible category if it's not too late... What about a best original child character?

10. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Yeah, so Alia can win everything here as well! ;)

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Best Original Character (this one you can choose from any timeframe you wish)--Dritali Neral; Jedi Galadriel, The Penitent

Best Female Original Character--Keaira; DarthIshtar and Melyanna, Ruins of Love

Best Male Original Character--Jerdin; Amidala_Skywalker, If the Mask Fits

Best Original Character Couple (Romantic or otherwise. If you think a particular master/padawan team is awesome or Jedi Knights who are awesome at working together, this is the catagory to vote in)--Adren Schilian and Tizar Nan; DarthIshtar, All the Wrong Places

Most Likely To Be Mistaken as a Canon Character Original Character--Dex Berlingside; Jemmiah and Co., take your pick

Best Force-Sensitive OC Character-Dritali Neral; JediGaladriel, The Penitent et al.

Best Non-Force sensitive OC Character--Jemmiah; Jemmiah, take your pick

Best Original Character in a Supporting Role-Maya; Amidala_Skywalker, If the Mask Fits

Best Original Character in a Main Role--Nadia; Melyanna, Change of Heart

Best Original Character in a Villain Role--Darth Nemesis; Jedi-Jae, Ep II, Insert Pretentious Title Here

12. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Alia Skywalker from "Strands of Time: Test of Time" by AngelQueen, DarthIshtar, LadyKenobi Amidala_Skywalker, and jade_angel

Keaira from "Ruins of Love"

Jerdin from "If the Mask Fits: The Chosen One" by Amidala_Skywalker

Best Original Character Couple (Romantic or otherwise. If you think a particular master/padawan team is awesome or Jedi Knights who are awesome at working together, this is the catagory to vote in)
    Adren Schilian and Tizar Nan from "All The Wrong Places" by DarthIshtar

Most Likely To Be Mistaken as a Canon Character Original Character
    N/A

Alia Skywalker

Maya Tasco from "If the Mask Fits: The Chosen One" :D

Maya Tasco

Alia Skywalker

Darth Malice from "Strands of Time: Choice of Fate" by AngelQueen, DarthIshtar, Amidala_Skywalker, jade_angel, LadyKenobi, and Mar17swgirl (actually, she first appeared in the TOT, but only in COF she's fully developed)

EDIT:
    Best Child Original Character
    Alia Skywalker :D

-------

And I agree with Melyanna - we need a best child original character!!! :D

EDIT 2: I added the OC duo... ;)

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Mar, how did I guess that you'd vote for Jerdin? :-D

14. DarkJade

DarkJade Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2001
    For those of you who suggested it, go ahead and vote for Best Child Original Character

15. womp_rat208

womp_rat208 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    Best Original Character Nadia from Change of Heart by Melyanna

Best Female Original Character Nadia

Best Original Character Couple

Most Likely To Be Mistaken as a Canon Character Original Character Nadia

Best Non-Force sensitive OC Character Danae Fel from... uh... well she was created by Mely in Of Pilots and Jeid, but I prefer her character in Sticks' Worlds Apart.

Best Original Character in a Supporting Role Lauria Kharma

Best Original Character in a Main Role Nadia

16. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    DJ, one thing that might make things simpler...

Perhaps the best OC award should go to the OC who gets the most votes in all categories instead of being a separate category to be voted on?

17. Healer Apprentice Lina

Healer Apprentice Lina Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2000
    Best Original Character: Lewix Winchard from snapshot series by Jedi_Joon.

Best Female Original Character: Meri Irhanah from "The Long and Winding Road" by JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Best Male Original Character: Wes Ban'An from "The Wrong Reason" by Jedi_Joon

Best Original Character Couple: Lewix Winchard and Damaeo Niveh in snapshot series by Jedi_Joon. (that pair gets into more trouble than any other.)

Most Likely To Be Mistaken as a Canon Character Original Character: An-Paj in various stories created by Jane Jinn

Best Force-Sensitive OC Character: Alex Arieh in "The Long and Winding Road" by JediKnight-Obi-Wan

Best Non-Force sensitive OC Character: Folly from "The Long and Winding Road" by JediKnight-Obi-Wan

18. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Best Original Character: Rela Quinn by Mouse, 'Training of a Mercenary'.

Best Female Original Character: Rela Quinn by Mouse, 'Training of a Mercenary'.

Best Male Original Character: Kason Storm, by Jedi Gryph Grin, from 'When a child cries out in the night'.

Best Original Character Couple: Thom Capella and Barin Truthfinder, by HaiGan, from 'You can run but you can't hide'.

Most Likely To Be Mistaken as a Canon Character Original Character: An-Paj by Jane Jinn, too many stories to choose from!

Best Force-Sensitive OC Character: Healer Leona, by?Healer Leona! From 'A Night to Almost Remember' and 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'.

Best Non-Force sensitive OC Character: tempted as I am to say 'Snordle' created by myself, I've gone for Rela Quinn by Mouse.

Best Original Character in a Supporting Role: MICK by Lilith Demodae, from 'The Lion Sleeps Tonight'.

Best Original Character in a Main Role: An-Paj by Jane Jinn

Best Original Character in a Villain Role: Lerrek Vaarn by HaiGan, from 'Jedi Snapshots '.

Best Original Child Character: Okay, it's bad form but I'm voting for young Jemmy, by myself (groan!) from 'Jedi Snapshots', 'Jemmy's diary' and 'From Little Acorns'.

19. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Wow, Danae was nominated! Thank you, wompster! :D

Best Original Character: Danae Fel, Of Pilots and Jedi and Into the Unknown by Melyanna, and Worlds Apart by me.

Best Female Original Character: See above.

Best Original Character Couple: Tirreo and Cedron, The Eternal Vow, by Melyanna and myself.

Best Original Character in a Main Role: Keaira, Ruins of Love by Melyanna and DarthIshtar.

I'll probably be back with more, but I just thought I'd put in my first vote now... :)

20. ThatJediGirl

ThatJediGirl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2001
    Alia; Jade Angel, Lady Kenobi, Amidala Skywalker, AngelQueen, DarthIshtar, Strands of Time: Choice of Fate

Best Female Original Character--
    Keaira; DarthIshtar and Melyanna, Ruins of Love

Best Male Original Character--
    Jerdin; Amidala_Skywalker, If the Mask Fits

Best Original Character Couple (Romantic or otherwise. If you think a particular master/padawan team is awesome or Jedi Knights who are awesome at working together, this is the catagory to vote in)--Adren Schilian and Tizar Nan; DarthIshtar, All the Wrong Places

Most Likely To Be Mistaken as a Canon Character Original Character-- N/A

Best Force-Sensitive OC Character-
    N/A

Best Non-Force sensitive OC Character--
    Lili; MsAmethystCrow or Wikki, No Place Like Home

Best Original Character in a Supporting Role-
    Bali Tiro; Red Rose Knight; An Uncertain Path

Best Original Character in a Main Role--
    Lili; MsAmethystCrow; No Place Like Home

Best Original Character in a Villain Role--
    (From My perspective I think that he is a BAD GUY) Jerdin, AmidalaSkywalker, If The Mask Fits

21. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Best original character: Nadia from Change of Heart by Melyanna

Best female original character: Nadia

Best male original character: Um.... I have no idea.

Best original character couple: Um... see above.

Most likely to be mistaken as a canon character original character: Nadia.

Best non Force sensitive OC charcter: Danae Fel, from OP+J and ITU by Melyanna, and Worlds Apart by Sticks where she's a real character.

Best original child character: Cassa Solo from A Light in the Darkness by Qui_Xux.

Best original character in a supporting role: Cassa.

Best original character in a main role: Nadia.

Best villian: Um... no clue here either.

But I tried!

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Hmm, someone's a Melyanna fan... Mel, isn't that what Best Overall Fic did in the other awards?

23. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    Best Female OC: Tizar Nan, created by DarthIshtar in All the Wrong Places

Best Male OC: Daryl Nerinda, created and developed by AngelQueen, Amidala_Skywalker, DarthIshtar, jade_angel, LadyKenobi, and Mar17sw girl in Strands of Time: Choice of Fate

Best OC Couple:

Best OC Character Most Likely to be Mistaken for a Canon Character Original Character: Tizar Nan

Best Force-Sensitive OC: Alia Skywalker

Best Non Force-Sensitive OC:

Best OC in Supporting Role: N/A... for now.

Best OC in Main Role: Tizar Nan

Best OC in Villian Role: Darth Malice, created and developed by AngelQueen, Amidala_Skywalker, DarthIshtar, jade_angel, LadyKenobi, and Mar17swgirl in Strands of Time: Test of Time and Strands of Time: Choice of Fate

Best OC Child role: Emma Skywalker, created by Clarus in Of Burdens and Choices and Soldier's Dance

I'll probably come back and edit the ones that lie empty later.

AQ

24. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Best Original Character:

Best Female Original Character: Melody, from The Circle, by Lisse

Best Male Original Character:

Best Original Character Couple:

Most Likely To Be Mistaken as a Canon Character Original Character: Melody, from The Circle, by Lisse

Best Force-Sensitive OC Character:

Best Non-Force sensitive OC Character:

Best Original Character in a Supporting Role:

Best Original Character in a Main Role:

Best Original Character in a Villain Role:

Best Child Original Character: Denilee Rage (Skywalker), in The Circle, by Lisse

I'll come edit more nomnations into the black spots once I think about it some more.

Mcily

25. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I really hate these awards threads (they get very cliquey), but I'm going to weigh in on this one, particularly since I prefer original character stories. Unlike most people, I believe OC stories revolve around the OCs, with the usual "canon characters" having only cameos or very minor roles.

I'm not nominating any of my own characters; I think it's tacky. :D

Anyway, there are quite a few folks writing good original characters, both as part of standard SW stories and as their own selves.

So, here goes:
    ________

Best Female Original Character -- Mrs. Muse, Axxin's mom in Alli-Wan's "Jedi Dreams." Considering she's a hard-working farm wife with a inquisitive 7 year old, she keeps her cool when two Jedi come to rescue her neighbors from crimelords. (I'm telling you guys, stop right now and read that story!!!)

Best Male Original Character -- Tough one. I'll have to say Barin Truthfinder, by HaiGan, with the long-suffering Max Antilles by IronParrot running a close second.

Best Original Character Couple--This one is very, very hard, but I've got to go with Barin Truthfinder and Thom Capella, by HaiGan, with honorary mention to Hachas Tlaticlo and his Padawan, Kiusan, by Jane Jinn in "By the Sea Shore."

Most Likely To Be Mistaken as a Canon Character Original Character -- I belive Jane Jinn's An-Paj already has this distinction, if his appearance in so many fanfics by other folks is any indication!

Best Original Character in a Supporting Role -- Ven-Te Houk, by Hai Gan, in "By the Sea Shore." That should probably be "Best Original Character in an Ensemble/Round Robin," since no one in that story is a main character. But Ven-Te has managed to upstage even An-Paj. She is a Force to be reckoned with by anyone's admission, and I for one would just LOVE to see her confront Palpy!

Best Original Child Character --There's only one possible winner: Axxin Muse from Alli-Wan's "Jedi Dreams." Unlike so many child characters in both fan fic and pro stuff, he's not precociously adorable to the point of making the reader want to vomit. He is a REAL kid, with a rich fantasy life... who else would mistake Obi-Wan Kenobi for a droid?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.