main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The 2001 Original Character Awards--Nominations Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarkJade, Dec 12, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. womp_rat208

womp_rat208 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 1999
    Forgot one!

Best Male Original Character Malko from Herman Snerd's Unrequited

2. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    Normally I'd feel bad about nominating myself, but I just finished finals this morning. Nothing could make me feel bad. ;)

Best Original Character- I refrain from nominating in this one because I think it should go to the character with the most votes across all categories. :D

Best Female Original Character- Nadia Montaigne of Melyanna's Change of Heart

Best Male Original Character- Malko of Herman Snerd's Unrequited

Best Original Character Couple- Ti and Schilian of DarthIshtar's All the Wrong Places

Most Likely To Be Mistaken as a Canon Character Original Character- An Paj of... lots of stuff, but I think he was originally JaneJinn's?

Best Force-Sensitive OC Character- Nadia Montaigne of Melyanna's Change of Heart

Best Non-Force sensitive OC Character- Keaira Andrevyk of DarthIshtar and Melyanna's Ruins of Love

Best Original Character in a Supporting Role- Cedron Organa in Sticks and Melyanna's The Eternal Vow

Best Original Character in a Main Role- Nadia Montaigne of Melyanna's Change of Heart

Best Original Character in a Villain Role- Valdemar in padawan lunetta's Shadows of a Past Long Forgotten

Best Chile Original Character- Danae Fel in Melyanna's Of Pilots and Jedi and Into the Unknown

3. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    I agree with Mel on both counts. The Overall Best Character should be counted up by the number of votes. Anyhow, I feel no shame in voting for myself.

Best Original Character (this one you can choose from any timeframe you wish): N/A....for reasons that Mel made clear.

Best Female Original Character: Keaira; DarthIshtar and Melyanna; Ruins of Love

Best Male Original Character: Jerdin; Amidala_Skywalker; If The Mask Fits

Best Original Character Couple (Romantic or otherwise. If you think a particular master/padawan team is awesome or Jedi Knights who are awesome at working together, this is the catagory to vote in): Schilian and Tizar Nan; DarthIshtar; All the Wrong Places

Most Likely To Be Mistaken as a Canon Character Original Character: Jerdin; Amidala_Skywalker, If The Mask Fits

Best Force-Sensitive OC Character: Cassa Solo; Qui_Xux, Her Anakin/Tahiri Trilogy

Best Non-Force sensitive OC Character: Lili; MsAmethystCrow, No Place Like Home

Best Original Character in a Supporting Role: Maya; Amidala_Skywalker, If The Mask Fits

Best Original Character in a Main Role: Alia Skywalker; AngelQueen, Amidala_Skywalker, DarthIshtar, jade_angel, LadyKenobi and Mar17swgirl

Best Original Character in a Villain Role: Jerdin; Amidala_Skywalker; If The Mask Fits

Am [face_love]

4. DarkJade

DarkJade Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2001
    NOTE:

I'm writing this rather late at night so bear with me here.....Venting on the way...

Okay, regarding the "Best Original Character Overall" catagory, people can just vote in the catatory or not. But the submissions made in that catagory will be taken into consideration when counting the total.

But hey, whatever makes the majority happy. Because, really that is what this thread has become about hasn't it?

I started this Awards Thread because I felt a lot of Original Characters were getting undermined and lost. If anyone else felt this way, then starting a thread like this months ago wasn't exactly beyond your power.

I understand that I more or less came out of the blue but there is at least one thing that even I as a relative newbie understand and felt a general audience of polite people would also understand:

You don't write a PM with criticism that is NOT helpful. If you have concerns about me running this thing, then tell me in at LEAST a constructive manner. I've gotten several in the past few days from people on this board talking about how this is already off to a bad start. The whole "Best Original Character Overall" catagory seemingly taking the spotlight in what was wrong.

Frankly, I really didn't see the discrepancy as a big deal and was willing to just let it to go whereever it may but after the fourth PM addressing this and addressing in no such vague words that I am not trusted to run this.

It sounds like a hissy fit. But what can I say? I'm rather hurt that authors I have long admired and felt were underappreciated felt they needed someone with a bit more experience or perhaps JC Board Time to run this thing for them. I thought appreciation in general would be accepted as something nice. Never knew it depended somehow on rank.

I'll still carry out the thread unless a huge voice is called out for me to do otherwise in which case, someone else can take over. But I made the promise I would and I am going to honor it unless objections just start flying.

All I can say for my part is that I am deeply disappointed and feel in a way, VERY astonished that honest appreciation and admiration for author's work can be met with such a highbrow snootiness. Yes, that's the best term I can come up with at this point.

--DarkJade

5. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    DarkJade, I feel shocked at why people would sent PMs to you like that and how they have nothing better to do with their time. All I can say is ignore them and continue on with the Awards. I'm behind you 100% percent and this such a good idea. You cannot give it up and let anybody else take it over. People always have different opinions and search to voice them in different ways, ways that are sometimes wrong. I admired you for stepping out and starting this thread, now please don't back down because of some ignorant people.

Am [face_love]

6. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    DarkJade, I guess I can't say much more that Am hasn't already said. I'm behind you on this as well. I don't understand either on why some people would want to PM such things to you!

These awards are supposed to be for fun, and to give recognition to the characters and authors. They are not a vendetta against people.

I'm glad that you'll keep going, DJ! :) You're doing a wonderful job!

AQ

7. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    I heartily agree with Am and AQ. :) And I'm behind you too, DarkJade. I think your idea of starting a "Best OC Awards" thread was very good and original. And no one can make you stop doing them (well, except an admin who'd like to lock this thred - but again, why would they do it?). Heck, if someone wants, he/she can start a "Best Original Ship's Name Awards" thread. ;) I know, a bad example, but it's about the PRINCIPLE of the thing. :) Just don't give up, we'll support you!!! :)

8. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    A mod is following the thread with friendly interest, and there's no reason I can imagine with the present level of behavior to shut it.

Awards threads seem to hit a sore spot in some folks, but other people enjoy them a great deal. I personally refrain from voting because I don't actually read as much forum fan fiction as I wish I had time for (and therefore don't have a good comparative knowledge), but I find it fun to see what other people's likes and dislikes are.

And as to poison PMs... trolling and flaming in PMs isn't acceptable behavior. We all know awards threads are bound to wander from the topic from time to time, and that sometimes they morph (in this case, I think the change in procedure on "Best OC" is probably a good idea). We're not Price-Waterhouse, and these are pretty informal. If you dislike awards threads on principle, just ignore them.

9. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    You guys heard it first from an admin here... ;) You said it, JG. :D

10. Lisse

Lisse Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2001
    I'm not gonna nominate my own characters, since I don't they would qualify for anything except Most Likely to Kill Other and Most Likely to Drive Their Creator up the Wall.

DarkJade, you have my full support and much enthusiastic cheering. I love original characters. :D

EDIT: The blank categories have been filled in. yes, I know I wasn't going to vote for myself. Yes, I just bombed a very important test. Yes, I'm being a hypocrite. [face_plain]

~*~*~

Best Original Character: This prestigious award should go to the overall vote-getter.

Best Female Original Character: Melyanna and Sticks' Danae Fel.

Best Male Original Character: IronParrot's Max Antilles.

Best Original Character Couple: HaiGan's Barin Truthfinder and Thom Capella.

Most Likely To Be Mistaken as a Canon Character Original Character: Jane Jinn's An-Paj. I still look for this guy in JA books.

Best Force-Sensitive OC Character: Qui_Xux's Cassia Solo.

Best Non-Force sensitive OC Character: Lisse's Jessa Calrissian. Who? Biased? Me?

Best Original Character in a Supporting Role: Lisse's Melody re Riall. I know, I know... *ducks*

Best Original Character in a Main Role: Alia Skywalker. I have no idea who actually owns her.

Best Original Character in a Villain Role: padawan lunetta's Valdemar.

Best Child Original Character: Alli-Wan's Axxin Muse.

11. Qwi_Xux

Qwi_Xux Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    DarkJade, I think this was a wonderful idea, and I'm glad you're going to keep running it. :D I love awards, they're just fun. If you look at them as a fierce competition, where's the enjoyment there? Thanks for starting this...now if I could just decide on votes... ;)

12. SiriGallia

SiriGallia Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2001
    (hee hee) Where did Child Charecter come from? I don't remember seeing it. Hmmm, oh well! ;)

That's sound sense JG thanks :)

13. Sarah_K

Sarah_K Jedi Master star 4

Jun 10, 2001
    I'm so sorry you had to live through that, DarkJade! People can be so thoughtless sometimes. Still, as one of the 'unknowns' on the boards, I'd like to show my support for entertaining enterprizes! In other words, I'm goint to try and vote in all the categories. Wist me luck... ;)

Best Original Character: Thom Capella, You Can Run, But You Can't Hide, by HaiGan

Best Female Original Character: Arwendai Istarri, Jerjerrod's Gift, by Mistress Renata

Best Male Original Character: Rendall Trett, Jerjerrod's Gift, by Mistress Renata

Best Original Character Couple: Barin Truthfinder and Thom Capella, You Can Run, But You Can't Hide, by HaiGan

Most Likely To Be Mistaken as a Canon Character Original Character: An-Paj, Jedi, Go Home (I beleive that was the first one he was in, though he's been in so many fics since then that it's hard to tell!), by Jane Jinn

Best Force-Sensitive OC Character: Lainey, Shadows of a Past Long Forgotten, by padawan lunetta

Best Non-Force sensitive OC Character: Melody (I'm pretty sure she's not Force-sensative. ahem, Lisse!), The Circle, by Lisse

Best Original Character in a Supporting Role: Meerel, One Small Hope, by SiriGallia

Best Original Character in a Main Role: Crash, Crash Course, Lilith Demodae

Best Original Character in a Villain Role: Vu Kaa, Deep in the Night, by Cassia

Best Original Child Character: Denilee Rage, The Circle, by Lisse

Sarah >^,,^<

14. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    Really now. It's not the Oscars; I wish people could just relax and have fun in these threads and not flame the coordinator for coming up with them. DarkJade, I think you're doing a great job.

And btw, Herman Snerd's Malko gets my vote for Best Male OC.

15. Qwi_Xux

Qwi_Xux Jedi Master star 4

Oct 5, 2001
    All righty. Let's try this now. And you know what? I'm doing two votes for myself, and I'm too tired and have too much on my mind to care. 8-}

Best Original Character (this one you can choose from any timeframe you wish): N/A

Best Female Original Character: Triel from Whiskey in a Jar-Jar's Stranger in a Strange Land series

Best Male Original Character: Dalan from Whiskey in a Jar-Jar's Stranger in a Strange Land series

Best Original Character Couple (Romantic or otherwise. If you think a particular master/padawan team is awesome or Jedi Knights who are awesome at working together, this is the catagory to vote in): N/A

Most Likely To Be Mistaken as a Canon Character Original Character: Dalan from Whiskey in a Jar-Jar's Stranger in a Strange Land series.

Best Force-Sensitive OC Character: Cassa Solo from Qwi_Xux's A Light in the Darkness

Best Non-Force sensitive OC Character: Danae Fel from Melyanna's Of Pilots and Jedi and Into the Unknown and Sticks' Worlds Apart

Best Original Character in a Supporting Role Maya from Amidala_Skywalker's If the Mask Fits

Best Original Character in a Main Role Alia Skywalker, from AngelQueen, Amidala_Skywalker, jade_angel, DarthIshtar, Mar17swgirl, and LadyKenobi's Strands of Time duology

Best Original Character in a Villain Role N/A

16. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Nope, nope, DarkJade! Even if I'm not a fan of awards threads in general, this was a very good and ORIGINAL idea for an awards thread! And I am glad you posted it, since there are so many authors who create fabulous characters out there (insert subliminal message: HaiGan! Alli-Wan! Jane Jinn!)

I do like the suggestion for a change in procedure, the OC getting the most votes in all categories getting the best overall prize (kind of like dog shows).

--Renata
    (wondering if An-Paj and Barin are going to end up in a lightsaber duel to determine #1... ;) )

17. Mcily_Nochi

Mcily_Nochi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    This is a great idea, and I think it's very well organized.

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I've refrained from voting in awards threads lately, but in lieu of people sending nasty PM's to DarkJade I'm going to vote to show my support for her wonderful idea of this thread.

Best Original Character: Rela Quinn by Mouse, 'Training of a Mercenary'.

Best Female Original Character: Rela Quinn by Mouse, 'Promises Kept and Training of a Mercenary'.

Best Male Original Character: Kason Storm, by Jedi Gryph Grin, from 'When a child cries out in the night'.

Best Original Character Couple: Barin Truthfinder and Thom Cappella by HaiGan, from 'You Can Run But You Can't Hide'.

Most Likely To Be Mistaken as a Canon Character Original Character: An-Paj by Jane Jinn. Why else would he be a staple of JA stories if people didn't think he was cannon?? :) :)

Best Force-Sensitive OC Character: Dex Berlingside by Jemmiah from the Jemmiah Chroniles.

Best Non-Force sensitive OC Character: Jemmiah Gleason from the Jemmiah Chronicles.

Best Original Character in a Supporting Role: MICK by Lilith Demodae.

Best Original Character in a Main Role: Barin Truthfinder by HaiGan from 'You Can Run But You Can't Hide.

Best Original Character in a Villain Role: Lerrek Vaarn by HaiGan, from 'Jedi Snapshots '.

Best Original Child Character: Young Jemmiah Gleason by Jemmiah from Jedi Snapshots.

19. Grand_Admiral_Jaxx

Grand_Admiral_Jaxx Jedi Master star 5

Dec 23, 2000
    Best Original Character: The most fun character to read is Dalan Kalamar from Whiskey in the Jar Jar's Stranger Series

Best Female Original Character: No one can beat Nadja Moranna from Casper Knightshade's Nadja Short Stories

Best Male Original Character: I'm gonna kill myself for saying this, but my favorite male character is Arcturus Lynx, why? Because I'm attached to him ;)

Best Original Character Couple: Oh, that's easy... Rokangus's Kelak Raederth and Dejirra from Dark Spirits

Most Likely To Be Mistaken as a Canon Character Original Character: Obi Wan Kenobi from Jedi Loren's Dreams Die Hard... I just read it yesterday, but dernit, it's very good

Best Force-Sensitive OC Character: There are quite a few of them, but I love Darth Arkus from Di-Lee's The Promised Future

Best Non-Force sensitive OC Character: Not too many of those, but the best is Calvin Y'saiah from Ty-Gon's Advent of War

Best Original Character in a Supporting Role: hmm... I'd say... Doran from Raissa Baiard's Everyone Comes to Doran's Place (Doran is a supporting character... Raissa Baiard is the main character ;) )

Best Original Character in a Main Role:Uh, isn't this the first one only reworded?

Best Original Character in a Villain Role: Ooh, so many, but I think Magus Prophet from Casper Knightshade's The Dark Hope is tough to beat. Runner ups have to be Rokangus's Darth Ruin and another of Caspers- Jurivicious Pern.

20. TwilightKat

TwilightKat Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2001
    DJ, ignore the purposely ignorant is what I say. You've got a great idea here [thumbs up]

(will add ones I've missed later)

Best Original Character (I agree with the concensus about this)

Best Female Original Character:

Best Male Original Character: Jerdin from Itmf by Amidala_Skywalker

Best Original Character Couple:

Most Likely To Be Mistaken as a Canon Character Original Character: An-Paj, b/c I'd recognize him anywhere. By Jane Jinn I think.

Best Force-Sensitive OC Character:

Best Non-Force sensitive OC Character: Maya from Itmf by Am

Best Original Character in a Supporting Role

Best Original Character in a Main Role: Alia Skywalker from SOT:TOT/SOT:COF by the 'famous five' who became the 'sithly six' :D

Best Original Character in a Villain Role:

Best Original Child Character: Alia Skywalker from SOT:TOT by Am/Ish/AQ/j_a/Lady K

21. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Best Original character: Enothchild by Casper_Knightshade
    Best Original Female Character: Nadja Moranna by Casper_Knightshade
    Best Original Male Character:Rendall Trett by Mistress Renata
    Best Original Couple: Thom and Barin by HaiGan
    Best Force Sensitive Character: Cali-Ana by Amidolee

....I'll finish the rest later

22. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    My characters.....nominated.......I'm touched.

Now don't forget best child character, Sara: I think 8 year old Juna from TDH counts. ;)

I'll have my picks soon, as well.

23. LadyKenobi

LadyKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2001
    Wow...Alia gets nominated again. :) Thanks you guys! :D

and I'll just throw my two cents in there about the whole PM Flaming thing. grabs lightsaber and stands infront of DarkJade Does that say enough? I think it does. [face_plain]

I would vote...but seeing as I've shamelessly let my fic reading faulter I don't think I would give authors a fair chance. But congrats to all who got nominated and good luck, I'll be watching and cheering in the stands. :D

Laters!

24. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Is it just me or is Jemmiah's last name usually spelled Gleshan, not Gleason?

25. DarkJade

DarkJade Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2001
    Aaaaaand up!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.