main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO The 2004 Presidental Election

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by chiss_man, Jan 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    Since the Missouri primary is next week I figured this was the right time to start the thread. Who's voting next week? Who for, and for what reasons?

BTW, before anyone asks, I'm not voting because:
    1) I live in Illinois
    2) I won't be 18 until August :p

Locked at the CR's request.

2. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    I'm not voting because I honestly don't care.

3. dudeman

dudeman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    im not voting because im not 18

4. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I don't know that I'll vote in the pre-election, because I don't care which of these guys wins. I will vote in the November one though, I'm mad at the Republicans this year so I will be voting against them. Please note that I have no politcal affiliation what-so-ever, I'm just mad at them and want a bunch of them gone. No one party should EVER controll everything, I don't care what the party is.

I made a political poll-er laugh a lot last night at my answers to his questions. I kept telling him that I was mad at the Republicans so I was voting against them. He thought that was so funny. He also laughed when I asked my mum if I was liberal or conservitive. Hell I can neve tell which is which.

So that is my fun political story. I was probably the best phone call the guy made all day. I didn't hang up on him and I made him laugh. My work is done.

5. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    Conservative = liking things the way they are. Against reform and fixing problems to maintain the status quo.

Liberal = So what if it upsets things? If it works the world will be a better place.

Really, the only thing I'm going to vote on is getting Bush out of office. He's the only one I'm really pissed at.

6. Bail_Simone

Bail_Simone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2002
    I'm not voting because I'm for Bush. I'll definitely be watching the coverage on TV though. :)

P.S. Did you know there are 2 guys running against Bush as Republicans in the MO Primary?

http://www.billwyatt.org

http://ashby2004.com

7. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    I won't be voting in the primary, but I will vote in november

8. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    I'm not sure if I am going to vote for president or not come november. I don't have anything for or against any candidates. Well, let me rephrase that. There is nothing that makes me like one more than another. I don't have a reason to hate bush, don't have any reason to hate any democrats, so as of now, I don't really care what happens.

Hmmm, the green party could always use a vote though...

9. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    I could give you some reasons to dislike Bush...

10. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I could too, but we won't go there unless you really want to hear it. I guess by Jon's description I'm Liberal rather than conservative, but them I hate labels like that, so I'm going to keep saying I'm neither.

11. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I kinda like Bush, and I think he's made some mistakes, but I never really had any problems with him.

12. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    I'm in Il. But I'll be voting in November.

I always vote for the tallest guy ;)

13. quigon_brian

Aug 16, 2001
    just out of curiosity, what do you think of Bush's support for the space program?

In my opinion, it's about time we got off our butts and started making some progress again.

14. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I like the idea that we're going back to space, but I think he's just trying to take the focus off of his follies.

15. Bail_Simone

Feb 28, 2002
    Are we testing the waters to see if this is going to become a heated political discussion? :p

16. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I hate nearly all things politics, so no. That and I don't like to be the cause of fights on here. So I'll bow out of the hefty stuff now. Let me just say that I hate war, it makes me so sad.

17. Bail_Simone

Feb 28, 2002
    You're so diplomatic. ;) Anyway, I heard on the radio this AM that the latest Zogby poll has John Kerry literally destroying all competition in Missouri.

18. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I do try. See now, I know nothing of the people you are talking about, one more reason to bow out early.

Discussion is fine, but please keep it nice. Don't want another "Strike Thread" on our hands. :-D

19. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    what do you think of Bush's support for the space program

In all honesty, I think it's all a load of crap meant to distract people.

Just so everyone's clear on Bush's plan, he wants to establish a perminant base on the moon, and then use that as a jump point to a colony on Mars. That's what he's telling everyone.

What not everyone does hear is that in order to do this, he's not giving NASA anymore money. He's just making them reallocate their already lacking funds.

The Hubble Space Telescope will no longer be serviced because of this. Just a reminder, this telescope is what's keeping the USA at the forefront of astronomical research. So without further servacing, the Hubble has 2 years of life left in it.

Aside from that, Bush is pulling the US's funding for the International Space Station. We've already promised to keep funding going until 2010 so we'll be sticking to that but after that, his plan would pull the plug on a program that the US has already invested a large amount of money in, along with several other countries.

Also, under Bush' plan, the current Shuttles are to be retired and a new set of craft (The Crew Expidition Vehicle I believe it was called) will be created and put into use. So far I haven't heard a whole lot about them but from what I have heard, they're just supposed to be an updated version of the space shuttles. So I'm betting they'll go over budget as well.

Meanwhile, there's an even better alternative for putting man into space that keeps getting overlooked. It's called a space elevator (check out spaceelevator.com for info on it).

So all in all, this is what I (as an astronomer) see bush actually doing: Pulling all funding for anything to do with research and gambling it all on missions that are just to appease the public and try to make the US look good in the face of China's new space program. Overall, a great deal of money will be wasted and not much gained.

Conclusion: Bush's space program is crap. The goals are fine, but there's better ways to achieve them. Pulling money from other things is NOT the way. Leaving those programs and then creating new ones with NEW funding IS the way.

20. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I could easily turn this into a heated political discussion but I will behave because I like you all.

21. Jedi_Tabee

Jedi_Tabee Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 6, 2001
    I like Shoey's theory on voting for the tallest...

guys, I have nothing wrong with talking about politics (although personally I think its boring and a waste of time.. don't look at me like that, I have... what.. 9.. 10 months to choose? :p) anywho... what was I goina say?

oh, right.

I know this may seem... well, very leadershipy (not a word...) but I feel that for something like this, I should set down a few ground rules before it gets to far, y'all think that's fair? good. (and too bad if you don't, I'm cuter then you)

so, here are some rules...
    1) No bashing: if you disagree with one candidates platform (is that a political term? it is now) just point out the faults you see with it and then refer to someone elses... or something, I don't want to see "so and so is an idiot to make that decision," have support, and all that crap we all hear when we're writing papers.

2) Be civil: just because someone likes a candidate you don't does not make them fair game for you to "attack." respect their opinion.

3) A Cover all: (this is in case I forgot something, which I think I did) I really want y'all to remember that by November the decision will be made and nothing we can do will change it. (well, assassination, but I don't think that's a good idea) We are friends here, try not to say anything you might regret later, if someones post makes you angry, please take some time before you respond, if there is a post I miss about being rude, or whatever, let me know ASAP and I'll have it taken care of.

I think that's everything, now just in case me asking politely that you treat each other nicely doesn't work. If any of these rules are broken, if this thread breaks down into a flame war, I will have it locked and political discussions will not be allowed at this board anymore. I don't want to do that, but I will. (please don't make me do that)

I think that's everything... um.. try to enjoy the discussion now :p

btw... have the candidates even been picked yet?

22. Bail_Simone

Feb 28, 2002
    Just make sure you vote for someone that has specific ideas that make things better to you. Don't vote out of anger because you don't know what you're going to get down the road.

I've watched every Democratic debate. The only folks who have specific ideas are Kunicich(sp) and Sharpton. I might not agree with them, but they impress me with their ideals. They have no chance at winning the nomination and that is what scares me.

I support Bush until someone comes around that has a better way of doing things.

23. yodaismygod

yodaismygod Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2002
    That wasn't shoeys idea! That was Loud Howards!

24. quigon_brian

Aug 16, 2001
    For everyone who's planning on voting this november, check out this website:

Click Here

It lets you put in your stance on different issues and then it tells you which canidates agree with you the most.

25. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    Well, I'm going Bush all the way. I'm not going to get into any political argument here, because I could go on forever, and it sometimes gets me into trouble. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.