main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO The 2005 St. Louis Cardinals-Now With Minty Pennant Power!

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by chiss_man, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. star-killer1

star-killer1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 2005
    Sorry guys, I was rooting for you all but it just was not meant to be.

2. Notclown-Joker

Notclown-Joker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2005
    Sad, very sad. Cards didn't want it enough. Pitching and hitting proves that. But bad calls abound in this series. Only goes to prove my theory that MLB is rigged for the post season.

3. DarthShoey

DarthShoey Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2003
    I'm just as pizzzed as the next guy about the calls, but the Umps don't make or break the game (except for maybe Denkinger, may he burn in eternity)

We could use another starting rotation pitcher and a strong closer - I wonder if Jocketty is watching these boards?

Oh well, there's still next year!

4. Draco19

Draco19 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2005
    I am sad that we didn't make it to the world series this year. :_| It just gives us a chance to evaluate our team and find what we need to improve on for next season. Although it would have been nice to add another world series title on opening day at the new Busch. Oh well we'll win it next year. Good Jobs Guys See ya next season. =D=

5. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    My friend was at the game last night and she was able to snag a handfull of dirt from the field before the cops noticed. :)

6. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    It's some sort of trend, the Cards always blow it during the last games of the season. I wasn't really surprised how the outcome was. But the calls by the umps were ridiculous. It wouldn't surprise me if it was rigged; they've rigged stuff in sports before.

7. DarthShoey

Oct 28, 2003
    What about '82 baby?!!?

Ce-le-brate good times C'MON!!!!!!

It's a celebration!!!!!

I realize many of you probably don't remember it.

IT WAS GREAT!!!!

8. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Given it was a full year before I was born....

9. titania7

titania7 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2005
    Man, I'm old.....

10. DarthShoey

Oct 28, 2003
    We're not old, they're just young

11. Jedi_Master_Medic

Jedi_Master_Medic Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2005
    Oh man Now I do feel old. I was in 7 th grade in 82..... (Recall that year well BTW)

12. chiss_man

chiss_man Jedi Master star 6

Jul 1, 2002
    I wish I could see us win a World Title. Last year was the first time I even saw us in a World Series (I was 1 in 1987). :(

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    I have pictures of me at the playoffs in '82. I was sleeping under my white blankie. Think I still have that blankie. My parents got to go to the series, but they though they had to get me a ticket (at two they didn't) so I didn't get to go.

14. Jedi_Master_Medic

Jedi_Master_Medic Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2005
    Well My husband is one of the Carpenters they called to help tear out seats at the stadium. First time he was in there in say 2 1/2 -3 years. Last time we went was when he got back from Afghanistan before he went to Iraq. He said they put stickers on EVERYTHING with MLB for the "garage sale" they will hold. ( Nothing says Prop of Bush Stadium though)

He did sign both our names to the wall with "Bye Bye Birdies!"

Since I have been working and not able to go down there.
    Either way it was a great season till the "Post season" :_|

15. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Anyone else rooting for the White Sox? I even went up to some guy on the street yesterday (Katy can attest to this) who was wearing a Sox shirt and I said "Astros are goin' DOWN!". He was like "Yeah!". Go Sox.

16. Dagobah_Diva

Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    Unfortunately, I'm not allowed to root for the White Sox either since they're from the wrong side of Chicago. You know, it's the whole Cubs/White Sox rivalry thing there. So, I'm assuming you all will be rooting for the Sox just like we root for whoever is playing the Cards.;)

17. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2002
    I've heard rumors that Brian Giles might sign with the Cards.

He would be a great offensive and defensive player.

GO W-SOX!!!

18. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Brian Giles?!?!?

PPOR.

19. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Yay White Sox swept the 'Stros!!!

Yeah I'm a bandwagoner, sue me. :p

20. jedi_runya

jedi_runya Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 4, 2005
    I just saw that! Good for them!!

21. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Hmm, just heard some more rumblings about Brian Giles. The good: He has an astronomically high on base percentage and batting average (although those numbers dropped siginifcantly since he was in San Diego, but that is most likely a by product of Petco Park; his road numbers are consistent with his career averages). A top of the lineup featuring Eckstein, Giles and Pujols could get some great things going offensively. The bad? He's 35, and we need to get younger in the outfield instead of maintaining a relatively high outfield age. I was hoping the team would go after a Juan Encarcinaton (sp?) type, young and speedy. Overall though, I think we should go after him (and apparently the organization agrees, as he is supposedly the "#1 priority" in the offseason). He's a free agent, and in fact wants to play with the Cards. We have a history of getting the most out of players who want to play here (an example of not getting the most out of someone because he didn't want to be here, see Martinez, Tino).

Also, Matt Morris is a free agent, expect the Cards to make an offer, but don't be surprised if someone offers him more and he leaves. Expect Anthony Reyes to get a legitmate shot to earn a rotation spot next season in spring, he has great stuff and Dave Duncan and company are very high on his abilities. Also expect Jason Marquis to remain, but be avaliable as tradebait for an outfielder.

Oooh, I love offseason moves!

22. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Award season has begun!

Congratulations go out to Cardinals pitcher Jason Marquis for winning the NL Silver Slugger award as best hitter at his position (pitcher)! =D=

23. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Jul 2, 2002
    Cool!

Him and Hampton are pretty close hitting wise.

24. chiss_man

Jul 1, 2002
    Congratulations to two individuals:

Centerfielder Jim Edmonds for winning his sixth straight Gold Glove Award and eighth overall! =D=

And pitcher Chris Carpenter for winning the Player's Choice NL Most Outstanding Pitcher Award! Let's hope this is just a warm up for the Cy Young announcement next week!

25. Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi

Jul 2, 2002
    Yeah I'm pulling for Carpenter for Cy Young, mainly since Pujols will probably get the short end of the MVP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.