main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The 2007 MLB Hall of Fame class

Discussion in 'Archive: The Arena' started by ApolloSmileGirl, Jan 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    Bernie Williams' numbers are up along with the old Yankee greats. That's my reasoning. I also never even mentioned Chipper Jones. But, yes I do think he's a Hall of Famer. Just because he's been hurt alot lately doesn't take away from how dominate he used to be. Because if that's the case Ken Griffey Jr is barely a Hall of Famer. ;)

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

2. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    Anyone who did not vote for Ripken should have his voting privilege revoked. Just as any of those who didn't vote for Hank Aaron should have been banned from any HOF involvement. Trying to manipulate the percentages of first-ballot HOFers is stupid, arrogant and petty. The votes of each writer should be made public, so that at the very least they will have to defend their votes.

3. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Thats not a bad idea. At least then we would know why there were people who didn't vote for Ripken.

There are a very few out there who publicize their ballots, but thats a very small minority of the voters.

EDIT: referring back to the earlier discussion of who should vote, I think there should be some journalists, but only a few. Ones who have distinguished themselves, are very well respected, and have worked with MLB for an extended period of time. Peter Gammons comes to mind, for example. But there shouldn't be very many of these, just a few.

4. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Can't remember the name, but one writer came out and said he submitted a blank ballot on ESPN news the day the HOF results came out because he was of the school of thinking that since Ruth and DiMaggio and others didn't get unanimous votes when they were elected to the hall, then Ripken and Gwynn should not have unanimous votes either.

Stupid argument, but anyways.

5. Boomer_Athena

Boomer_Athena Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2006
    Then they need to take that jackass's vote, and give it to someone that will use it.

6. Drew_Atreides

Drew_Atreides Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 30, 2002
    Meh, Ripken is and always shall be overrated.

I mean, he was a good ballplayer, but i don't know how alot of people don't see thru his All-American "it's all for the team!" shtick. That guy is a bit of a jerk, and there were alot of days where he played injured for the sake of "THE STREAK", and hurt his team in the process.

The US of A absolutely loves him, though, so... meh, you'll never win that one.

It's a tough call, because i do think that streak warrants him being inducted into Cooperstown, but I find he's a jerk, slightly selfish and fairly overrated. Alan Trammell of the Tigers was a much more reliable shortstop who never got the HoF consideration that he deserved because overrated folks like Ripken and Ozzie Smith stole the limelight during his day.

I also think Tony Gwynn was overrated. He was a singles machine, sure, and a very likeable character but.....Couldn't do much else.

Course, i'd be a real stickler if I were a HoF voter. Of people still playing today, the only 2 that I think are shoe-ins for the Hall of Fame are Greg Maddux and Roger Clemens. At one time, I would have said Ken Griffey Jr. (best position player i've ever seen play) but injuries have REALLY hurt his chances. Pudge was also on this list until his mysterious "Depudginization" after the steroid scandal broke out. He'll still get in, but....there should be a question mark next to him.

I'm not sure what to think of A-Rod. He's got the numbers, if he keeps up what he's doing, but I keep expecting him to finally meltdown under the insane pressure of NY.

Same with Pujols. If he keeps doing what he's doing, he'll make it in. I keep expecting pitchers to figure him out, though.

I hope Trevor Hoffman gets in. I've always been a fan of his, but playing in San Diego might hurt his chances a bit.

7. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Top of any current list for me is Mariano Rivera. Sadly, he'll probably have trouble getting in, like all relievers.

As for your vcomments about Pudge, there are probably less than a handfull of players of HOF calibre right night who I thik don#t have a question mark next to their names. Maddux is about the only player I'm totally sure of.

8. Master_Kast7

Master_Kast7 Jedi Knight star 6

May 12, 2004
    Drew, I almost disagreed with that whole entire post. But those are you opinions so I'm going to let you have them.

~Liar, lawyer, Mirror for ya, What's the difference? Kangaroo be stoned, He's guilty as the government~

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    The Veterans committee has voted not to send anybody else into the HOF with Ripken and Gwynn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.